Nintendo DSi Shop & Wii Shop Channel quietly pulled offline, with no ability to redownload titles

20220316_224035.jpg

If Nintendo announcing the discontinuation of the eShop for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U wasn't bad enough, strap yourselves in. Around 10:00pm CST, with no prior announcement, both the DSi Shop and Wii Shop Channels were quietly pulled offline, leaving previously downloaded purchases and titles unable to be redownloaded, showing error codes 290502 and 209601 for both systems respectively. Nintendo's CDN, which is the download server that houses all of the update and shop data, remains to be active with the ability to download titles with tools such as NUSDownloader, showing that only the frontend of the stores have suddenly disappeared. Nintendo's status page still lists that everything is operational, though it's currently unknown if this was a mistake like last year's eShop incident, or if this really is the end of an era.

:arrow: Source

[6-7-2022 Update]
Both shops are back online. See this post for more information.

Last edited by MaxiBash,

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
ok but no, they don't maintain as much server when they are not used as much, they obviously did get ride of most servers and nintendo isn't a broke ass company they absolutely can maintain few servers to maintain olds eshop, or you know, do like microsoft and make retro compatibility a possibility, it would be even easier than microsoft since 3DS was compatible with DS games when mcirosoft had to work to get 360/og xbox games on xbox one/series.
Oh but wait they are planning to kill 3DS eshop too...
Well I think Nintendo can see that no one is logging in online via wii and 3ds everyone hacked them to death so why keep the servers.

FriendlyPolygon

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I think i have an idea of why it happened. The thing is, internet has such ugly thing called 'Certificates' that are required to load information from it that have at least some kind of protection standard. The ugly part of it is that they all are time-limited usage, and after that time they cannot be used and need to be updated (recreated with newer time limit). So buit-in console certificates must have been just out of date, as there were no updates for those consoles there was no way they could be updated in time to prevent this. And it will probably will be painfully hard to do manually.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I didn't hack these systems and have full access to their libraries via backups, I might be upset. But for me to be outraged here would be to ignore the situation I'm actually in, in regards to these games.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use qb sometimes, when there's no other choice, as I'm more a usenet person. I don't remember really how to upload to usenet other than yenc power post. I do remember the name of the app. don't know where to make the torrent or even remember how to make a torrent file.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it isn't legally but honestly in my ethics it is and I don't care downloading them. I bet there is a torrent of all ds games released somewhere
and thats why copyright law is shit cause it's still illegal even if piracy is the ONLY way to obtain a game that has no physical form but thanks to a provision in the DMCA stuff like insignia(XBL 1.0 for OG)/pretendo network (3DS/ Wii U) is safe (for only multiplayer only not game downloads) once they pull the plug on all the services

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, if the stores are deaded, the the running of backups becomes legit.
Legally not.

it isn't legally but honestly in my ethics it is and I don't care downloading them. I bet there is a torrent of all ds games released somewhere
Are you saying you haven't downloaded any until now & this has changed your mind?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8