Nintendo DSi Shop & Wii Shop Channel quietly pulled offline, with no ability to redownload titles

20220316_224035.jpg

If Nintendo announcing the discontinuation of the eShop for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U wasn't bad enough, strap yourselves in. Around 10:00pm CST, with no prior announcement, both the DSi Shop and Wii Shop Channels were quietly pulled offline, leaving previously downloaded purchases and titles unable to be redownloaded, showing error codes 290502 and 209601 for both systems respectively. Nintendo's CDN, which is the download server that houses all of the update and shop data, remains to be active with the ability to download titles with tools such as NUSDownloader, showing that only the frontend of the stores have suddenly disappeared. Nintendo's status page still lists that everything is operational, though it's currently unknown if this was a mistake like last year's eShop incident, or if this really is the end of an era.

:arrow: Source

[6-7-2022 Update]
Both shops are back online. See this post for more information.

Last edited by MaxiBash,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and thats why copyright law is shit cause it's still illegal even if piracy is the ONLY way to obtain a game that has no physical form but thanks to a provision in the DMCA stuff like insignia(XBL 1.0 for OG)/pretendo network (3DS/ Wii U) is safe (for only multiplayer only not game downloads) once they pull the plug on all the services
I wouldn't count on those lasting either. Nintendo just has to reeeeeee about some accidental trademarked logo or some "copyrighted" 1kb .bin file and those will get shut down too.

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
OP
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
I kind hope this is just a mistake and the Big N isn’t that cruel, but they have been getting worse over the years. Let’s hope everything has been backed up and won’t be lost due to the Big N!
We've gotten to the point that the frontends of the stores got backed up as HTML files, so nothing's lost, hopefully.

Reactions: The Catboy

Natsukashii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Legally not.

Are you saying you haven't downloaded any until now & this has changed your mind?
it didn't change my mind, I buy games physically and while keeping them sealed/on my shelves I download them on my devices. Thats illegal but in my ethics it's fair.

Same for this issue, even if I don't own something, if copyright holders don't provide way to buy something, then me downloading them/getting reproduction from third party is fair.

Be it roms of retro games, reproduction cartridges, fan translations etc...

Reactions: ZerotheSecond

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't count on those lasting either. Nintendo just has to reeeeeee about some accidental trademarked logo or some "copyrighted" 1kb .bin file and those will get shut down too.
i doubt your doubt because unlike the GTA RE project this was 100% cleanroom no copyrighted files and (unlike gta) was built from scratch using own implimented code it wasn't a 1:1 copy thats where the gta re project went vvrong if that gets shut down i worry about the future of copyright law (and will have a lot less faith in the justice system maybe 0)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i doubt your doubt because unlike the GTA RE project this was 100% cleanroom no copyrighted files and (unlike gta) was built from scratch using own implimented code it wasn't a 1:1 copy thats where the gta re project went vvrong if that gets shut down i worry about the future of copyright law (and will have a lot less faith in the justice system maybe 0)
I've just seen lesser things pulled for shittier reasons. I do hope you're right though.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
it didn't change my mind, I buy games physically and while keeping them sealed/on my shelves I download them on my devices. Thats illegal but in my ethics it's fair.

Same for this issue, even if I don't own something, if copyright holders don't provide way to buy something, then me downloading them/getting reproduction from third party is fair.

Be it roms of retro games, reproduction cartridges, fan translations etc...
So, you are one of those weirdos that buys games and keeps them sealed. May I know why? Investment?

And the fact that you bought the game and kept it sealed doesn't make it morally right to download a backup, as in, you know... You can't backup a sealed game. But I understand where you come from.

I open all my games, in the vain hope to make retrogaming price retardedness dissappear. Games are to be played, dammit!

The fact of existing ways to play backups should make people think better before paying 600€ for Rule of Rose.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, you are one of those weirdos that buys games and keeps them sealed. May I know why? Investment?

And the fact that you bought the game and kept it sealed doesn't make it morally right to download a backup, as in, you know... You can't backup a sealed game. But I understand where you come from.

I open all my games, in the vain hope to make retrogaming price retardedness dissappear. Games are to be played, dammit!

The fact of existing ways to play backups should make people think better before paying 600€ for Rule of Rose.
Wouldn't opening the sealed games only increase the rarity and value of other sealed copies

Reactions: Takokeshi

Deleted member 532471

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope people go even harder on Nintendo now. Combined, these shops must have been using like 2gbs on their drives and the bandwidth use was next to nothing.

They took out these systems for nothing (but to make people even more cautious and conscious about how risky it is to go digital only)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dsi shop ia down as well, and took Dr kawashimas games with it. The one on the wiiu is just the stock version, the eShop had super cool extra lessons and features. My favorite was the acting lessons
well, I feel like an idiot. I had forgotten about the dsi. I also thought the dsi could only download those shitty dsi apps like a calculator, didn't know it could download ds games as well. :)

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I would like to pile on Nintendo w/ the bandwagon of detractors I can't due to my affinity for Nintendo for helping mold my childhood 🙄😒🤦🏽‍♂🤷🏽‍♂... More than likely this was probably caused by an outage of some sort.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...