Nintendo Downloaded Super Mario Bros from Internet

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, thankfully NERD, will handle the VC with the Switch, at least they know how to write good emulators.

Yes, let's hire NERDS to do the emulation work from now on. Cause the ones who have been doing it don't do well... (Except the M2 people, they do it best. GBA SMA4 is godlike as well as Mega man battle network instant secret chips.) :P

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
They get the ROMs from internet, or they dump the ROMs themselves. What does it change really? The end result will be the same.
All Virtual Console games I dumped were ROMs matching scene dumps, some of them were edited, for whatever reason, to fix a bug or change a minor detail.
Many of those I dumped (n64 specifically) are exactly the same files found on internet, in .z64 format. If someone dumps it and put it online, and Nintendo dump it themselves, the file is likely to be the same. So why would they bother? Just grab internet ROMs, problem solved.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They get the ROMs from internet, or they dump the ROMs themselves. What does it change really? The end result will be the same.
All Virtual Console games I dumped were ROMs matching scene dumps, some of them were edited, for whatever reason, to fix a bug or change a minor detail.
Many of those I dumped (n64 specifically) are exactly the same files found on internet, in .z64 format. If someone dumps it and put it online, and Nintendo dump it themselves, the file is likely to be the same. So why would they bother? Just grab internet ROMs, problem solved.

Nintendo just proved how lazy they were, I just proved to Nintendo that unofficial emulators are a helluva lot better, generally speaking, than their shoddy, super inaccurate VC emulators XD

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also saves them from probably having to dig out old devkits and vault cartridges and dump them that way. Though I'm surprised that there wouldn't be digital copies of both the uncompiled and raw compiled game image to use.

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also saves them from probably having to dig out old devkits and vault cartridges and dump them that way. Though I'm surprised that there wouldn't be digital copies of both the uncompiled and raw compiled game image to use.

IDK what to think, but I will say I have even less remorse and more justification in playing emulators with dumped ROMs.

Reactions: Cylent1

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is totally fine.
People shouldn't be complaining about this.
Nintendo owns the copyright and it has the right to do it this way.
The product is unaltered, but the cost/time goes down.
The emulator code is outsourced to another company but paid and owned by Nintendo.
There is no copyright infringement over using iNES headers.

This only makes a nice anecdote, nothing else.

Reactions: MichiS97

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is pretty much the same outrage i'd have if i found out they use zip compression. not a deal at all if they do, zip has been around for a LOOOOONG time why bother making something new just stick with the standard.

Reactions: MichiS97

roo1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's what I said in other forum, Nintendo just cut corners and used something of their own readily available , in this case used the header structure which is not part of the pure ROM image. If I'm not wrong this format was invented by the emulation pioneer Marat Fayzullin.
Nothing wrong with Nintendo doing that, but it's a good story.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
man they have the rogh over these names and stuuf, it belong to them, being uploaded by someone else or not ... if I make a Mario art, they have the right to use it even without consulting me (btw sega did stuff alike with sonic :v lololo) It not a good thing to do with who make the stuuf but are their right here :/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if I make a Mario art, they have the right to use it even without consulting me (btw sega did stuff alike with sonic :v lololo) It not a good thing to do with who make the stuuf but are their right here :/
No. Rights do not automatically revert to them without something making it happen (most likely a court or at least a lawyer). Chances of you being able to keep such a work if you do get legal types involved is slim but it is certainly not automatic, unless they have a agreement you released it under (see something like the youtube stuff they did, or perhaps the star trek fan films stuff). If nothing else what happens in the case of a contested work? Alternatively what happens if you work falls under some kind of fair use/fair dealing laws?

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No. Rights do not automatically revert to them without something making it happen (most likely a court or at least a lawyer). Chances of you being able to keep such a work if you do get legal types involved is slim but it is certainly not automatic, unless they have a agreement you released it under (see something like the youtube stuff they did, or perhaps the star trek fan films stuff). If nothing else what happens in the case of a contested work? Alternatively what happens if you work falls under some kind of fair use/fair dealing laws?
hmm well idk :B
I was just thinking one time.. I wanted a lonlon milk label texture but could not find it anywhere, so I made it myself and let it in DA, some people found it and started using on their crafts to sell and not even asked/ told me, I got very sad and angry about this that time, but I have no rights at the lonlon milk thing, as a fanwork would be ice to be credited at least but what I could do more than saying I wasn't happy? :x now if was an original work I know I could go and do something about...
Back to the rom part even with the changed thing (that I don't know exactly what is since no audio here lol), it still the game that was ripped from the cart one time and still nintendo work, but they got from someone that ripped it illegally xD

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
woa.. in fact i kinda thought about how weird is how we can easily inject the games, and the VC console is pretty similair how emulators work; it has the emulator itself, a config file and the rom...
it's not the game with added code to make it work on the new hardware.. it's actually an emulator that we can swap out the rom file and make it play virtually any nes game...

so yeah... this is interesting cuz nintendo barely did something.. they probably grabbed most code and ideas from emulators made by other people..

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if they own the rights to the game, aren't they allowed to download it and any other application they've made?
Forgive me if I'm missing something but I really don't see what everyone is so riled up about here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.