What do you think about this "hack"?

• Total voters

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, I have to agree. Even a lot of the people who say they only want to hack for homebrew and mods still use the homebrew and mods to play retail games and access outside services. They install emulators to load up retail games for older systems, they use homebrew to access existing services (twitter, IRC, youtube), they use mods to stop retail games from doing things they don't want (priiloader stopping updates), etc.
Yep, And I will admit to the fact that I do want to play retail games. But, apparently I'm a weird breed (that doesn't like piracy either). Most other people that aren't me are going to want to abuse the system. For me it's all about free use and having fun with Ninty's system and paying the respect they deserve while not being tied down. A majority on this site are probably a little less... Appreciative.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
[PS]The new avatar of yours looks good. Is it your painting?
Nah, I'm not an artist.

I agree with you. Homebrew is a good thing, especially for the developers.
It can also be good enough to users, as what moonshell did.
Yeah, part of the reason PSP hacking is so cool is the plugins you can get to add new features to the system. Controllable save state in games, cheat plugins, MP3 playing, additional sorting of entries in the VSH menu, etc. This is partially why I'm hoping for a softmod for the 3DS with plugin support, since (outside of DS software) it might be capable of the same sort of stuff.

But mostly there is some DARK reason for the players.
I highly doubt how many people would try to play backups just because their original card is about to crunch, or for the safety of their cards away their parents.
One legit reasons I've seen is "I don't want to carry all my game carts and swap them out". I don't have many DS games so this doesn't apply to me, but for people that have like 25 games it can become an issue to carry them around.

Reactions: Syphurith

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, I'm not an artist.

Yeah, part of the reason PSP hacking is so cool is the plugins you can get to add new features to the system. Controllable save state in games, cheat plugins, MP3 playing, additional sorting of entries in the VSH menu, etc. This is partially why I'm hoping for a softmod for the 3DS with plugin support, since (outside of DS software) it might be capable of the same sort of stuff.

One legit reasons I've seen is "I don't want to carry all my game carts and swap them out". I don't have many DS games so this doesn't apply to me, but for people that have like 25 games it can become an issue to carry them around.
Exactly... Plus, even though carts are durable, they aren't water proof..... Also, ripping your own games opens the door for gray space/ legal ROM hacking, since then you can get the patches. You don't know how great it is to have all of your GameCube, Wii, GBA, and some of your DS games all on your computer :D Dolphin plus desmume plus no$gba/vba all on one computer and having all the games on my storage drive is extremely convenient and better than the actual console experience if you know how to do it.

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I've got two files with the same length 0x00004200. Story >>
When i tried to update my 3ds through that PS3.ProxyServer, i made it with filter '*' and got those links.
Today i grabed the links with download accelerator.
<<
I highly doubt if these two file is very special due to its length.
I thought it was a 4096RSA+256SHA1 but the length is not that number. But i consist it may be a key file.
Please give me a conclusion if you can, please.
Or, What type of such files should be?
CIA? TMD? or any other types? What i know only is it is a part of the 'present' file
I'll upload the files, packed as 7z. There is also a Readme for you in the package.
Gosh it's too big for this forum.. Uploaded to Skydrive instead. >>*snip*<<

Also, please can somebody make a new ProxyServer from that PS3.ProxyServer?
I request for detailed logging (ie, log the packages content with header set and get) badly, thanks.
Indeed the length seems to be the length of the key.bin. the length of key.bin is 512 Bytes.

alirezay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, I'm not an artist.

Plus you can test games before buying them...

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I'm getting some upset for searching through the net and found no news about their progress..
Maybe i should count the sheeps before i go to bed tonight..
It has been around 4 days that the 3dbrew does not get any update (Even a new user),
Also with the fund raised number (I'm waiting for its update, badly) ^_^
WTF am i ill?
Well besides i think, even he get the access, the chip must be decapped, do you think so?
Maybe i should take out my 3ds and play the pokemon games..^_^
Yeh, Rydian. Do you know why the IRC only gets 'XX log in' and 'XX log out' these days?
If feeling bad >>
please forgive my silly joke.
I am still wondering why there're always some guy not RTFS..

nexuspunk

the mysterious one.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plus you can test games before buying them...
True thats the main reason i want to get my hands on this, i mean if i am going to spend money on a game i want it to be a game i will enjoy for months if not years to come. i dont want to buy it beat it once, then never touch it again. which is why i had a r4 for my ds before i bought, my 3ds my r4 is full of games i already own. why? because i tested out the roms, then decided i liked the games and went out and bought them.

but it is what it is, time to go grab my 3ds and play some dream drop distance. i borrowed it from a friend a few days ago, and its going back tomarrow. then onto sonic generations on the 3ds, so later everyone

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True thats the main reason i want to get my hands on this, i mean if i am going to spend money on a game i want it to be a game i will enjoy for months if not years to come. i dont want to buy it beat it once, then never touch it again. which is why i had a r4 for my ds before i bought, my 3ds my r4 is full of games i already own. why? because i tested out the roms, then decided i liked the games and went out and bought them.

but it is what it is, time to go grab my 3ds and play some dream drop distance. i borrowed it from a friend a few days ago, and its going back tomarrow. then onto sonic generations on the 3ds, so later everyone
You know, I'm glad there are some people who pirate for "free" trials, and not to rip the company off. However, it's against the law so I don't do it or support it. Doesn't me others care lol. Glad Ninty is actually supporting demos now.

Anyways, ROM loading has perfectly legitimate uses and people who abuse these programs and exploits just make it harder for people who play by the rules (or supposed gray areas which really SHOULD be considered legal but so far have yet to be dertimened absolutely in the court room, we need Phoenix Wright in real life....). That's my take. If only their was a way to make a ROM that would only run your games lol, that would be impossible however.

Wait... Don't ROMs have tags of what Cart they were from? Lol

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, I'm glad there are some people who pirate for "free" trials, and not to rip the company off. However, it's against the law so I don't do it or support it. Doesn't me others care lol. Glad Ninty is actually supporting demos now.

Anyways, ROM loading has perfectly legitimate uses and people who abuse these programs and exploits just make it harder for people who play by the rules (or supposed gray areas which really SHOULD be considered legal but so far have yet to be dertimened absolutely in the court room, we need Phoenix Wright in real life....). That's my take. If only their was a way to make a ROM that would only run your games lol, that would be impossible however.

Wait... Don't ROMs have tags of what Cart they were from? Lol

Thats what im hoping for, like Devolution. Dump a cart and verify the original cart on first boot of the ROM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?