Translation Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

SonataFanatica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Amazing to see that you're so close to the finish line with the translation! :)
I've been following this development for years now. So happy right now! I had almost given up hope.

Last edited by SonataFanatica,

3rd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, this first release is putting riddle answers in the game so that you can use the PS3 PDF as a reference. We are not going to make you wait while we translate the DS-specific parts of the Magic Master. The Spanish team released the whole thing all at once, but we feel like it is a very playable game as it stands. My current playtest is exclusively using the PS3 PDF, and it works reasonably well with riddle answers in the game.

BUT.

For those that are interested in the complete experience, including solving all the riddles that require the physical Magic Master book, we ARE planning to do a follow up release with no in game answers. That means we need to translate about 100 pages of text that is not in the PS3 pdf. Things like info pages for Imagen unique to the DS, item pages, and the maps and other riddle-filled pages.

We need some help on that front - typesetting the newly translated pages, inserting them into the PS3 PDF, and renumbering everything to make it all fit together nicely. Most people who signed up to help with the ROM project knew that they woudlnwo have the energy to do the book project, too, which is one of the other reasons our first release is without it.

If you have experience with typesetting, editing, or photoshop in general and are interested in helping with that project, please let me know. We think we have cleaned versions of the pages available from the spanish team, but there may still be some cleaning needed at times, too, if that's more your thing.

I've posted to a couple of scanlation forums, but if you have a favorite scans group that you think is should approach, please send me a PM about it.

Don't take this as meaning that we are done the first release, I'm just being proactive and trying to plan ahead here so that new team members can ramp up on things while we're ramping down on the first patch file.

Thanks for any help you can give, folks!

Long time lurker of this site (we're talking YEARS), and finally signed up just to offer my services for this. I'm a Graphic Designer by trade and very comfortable with this kind of work. I'd love to be able to help in some way – this project has had me gripped since it's inception.

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Long time lurker of this site (we're talking YEARS), and finally signed up just to offer my services for this. I'm a Graphic Designer by trade and very comfortable with this kind of work. I'd love to be able to help in some way – this project has had me gripped since it's inception.
I'll PM you with details. Thanks so much!!

Sheik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
actually, when you just convert the book some images and fonts get screwed up, differing from when you make an ePUB from the ground up.

SonataFanatica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you're ever interested in including a German translation, just say the word. I'd be happy to translate all of the text.
I'm German and an English teacher and tutor, so I'm extremely thorough when it comes to translations.

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're ever interested in including a German translation, just say the word. I'd be happy to translate all of the text.
I'm German and an English teacher and tutor, so I'm extremely thorough when it comes to translations.
I think there would certainly be interest in a German translation - it is a lot of work, though, and I'd recommend starting with at least 3 or 4 translators and at least two people that can do very careful image manipulation (the game has a very specific palette of colors and will actually crash if it tried to load a file with something outside of that range). There are nearly 1700 images that need to be translated, carefully changed, and then imported into the game in a few different ways depending on the image. There are also more than 35,000 text boxes (dialog on screen, character/spell/item/equipment/imagen/location names and descriptions, etc). Quick math of 2 mins per box + image (which includes looking up terms for consistency, or watching a let's play video of that area of the game for context and is probably a low number) is around 1200 hours to translate, which is a lot for a single person. You'll want to playtest things to make sure your text fits on screen, and revise and edit it as you go, so that number is likely a conservative estimate.

I don't want to discourage you, rather I want you to know what you're getting into and that you should get a few friends together and make a project out of it so that you don't burn out after a few months of spending your whole weekend on it - we've seen lots of people come into the project and lose steam after two or three months because (I assume) they feel like they are barely making a dent toward the overall project completion.

I'm more than happy to share the English translated files that we have (once we're done with them!) to other translation teams, and the Spanish team has made all of their ROM-patching tools available already. I am sure that there are more people that speak English as a second language, rather than Japanese, so my hope is that our efforts can make it easier for people wanting to start their own translation project.

There is a thread for all of the various translation projects in progress now, so you might want to post there with a link to a German translation discussion thread to see if you can gather enough people to make it work. :) Best of luck, and as I said I will be glad to help get other teams started using our English translation as soon as we're done with it:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ninokuni-shikkoku-no-madoushi-translation-project.310214/

Reactions: juniorcba

wyjek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi,

I'm looking forward to release of this translation, did I understand correctly that 100% of text is translated, but some of them has to be "injected" into the graphics? I can try to help, I did some work in GIMP, but I don't have much time, so I don't want to get your hopes up.

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

I'm looking forward to release of this translation, did I understand correctly that 100% of text is translated, but some of them has to be "injected" into the graphics? I can try to help, I did some work in GIMP, but I don't have much time, so I don't want to get your hopes up.
We're done the translation of the game graphics and the text, and are cleaning up inconsistent terms and making sure the rougher patches are edited to be more natural sounding.

Thanks for the offer to help, even with your limited time!

The recent request for help is for the larger project of translating the 352 page book that came with the game. We have identified a minimum/core set of pages that players need to solve all of the in-game riddles, and that will ship with the first release of the patch file with the PS3 Wizard's Companion (available as a PDF online) serving as a reference for the rest of the content, as there are many similarities. The project we need help with currently is to get the rest of the book, all the non-essential pages, translated and typeset as well. There are about 115 pages unique to the DS game, and we've knocked that back by around 20 pages that we're doing for the minimum list of files, so about 95 pages worth of work with the idea that it would ship *sometime* after the patch file.

Time is the biggest factor, of course. We have files in a few different places now due to the fact that we chose the best tools for each of the parts of this patch - the text translation, the graphics work, and now the book translation. So, getting people up to speed on where things live, and how the team works does take time. I'd say if you don't think you have 4 hours a week, then we can probably work with the crew that we have. Also, we're using Photoshop for this project, and in ways that Gimp isn't going to play nice with, from what I understand.

Otherwise, for anyone that does think they have the Photoshop skills and the time to spare, please drop me a PM (or if you're a new member of the forum, post here and I'll PM you). :)

Thanks for your patience, folks! We're trying to make sure you get as much of the DS experience as possible, and the riddles are definitely part of it, which is why we've spent some time getting a few of the pages ready to go out with the release.

wyjek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We're done the translation of the game graphics and the text, and are cleaning up inconsistent terms and making sure the rougher patches are edited to be more natural sounding.

Thanks for the offer to help, even with your limited time!

The recent request for help is for the larger project of translating the 352 page book that came with the game. We have identified a minimum/core set of pages that players need to solve all of the in-game riddles, and that will ship with the first release of the patch file with the PS3 Wizard's Companion (available as a PDF online) serving as a reference for the rest of the content, as there are many similarities. The project we need help with currently is to get the rest of the book, all the non-essential pages, translated and typeset as well. There are about 115 pages unique to the DS game, and we've knocked that back by around 20 pages that we're doing for the minimum list of files, so about 95 pages worth of work with the idea that it would ship *sometime* after the patch file.

Time is the biggest factor, of course. We have files in a few different places now due to the fact that we chose the best tools for each of the parts of this patch - the text translation, the graphics work, and now the book translation. So, getting people up to speed on where things live, and how the team works does take time. I'd say if you don't think you have 4 hours a week, then we can probably work with the crew that we have. Also, we're using Photoshop for this project, and in ways that Gimp isn't going to play nice with, from what I understand.

Otherwise, for anyone that does think they have the Photoshop skills and the time to spare, please drop me a PM (or if you're a new member of the forum, post here and I'll PM you). :)

Thanks for your patience, folks! We're trying to make sure you get as much of the DS experience as possible, and the riddles are definitely part of it, which is why we've spent some time getting a few of the pages ready to go out with the release.

Okay, so I won't bother you :P I don't want to rush, but can you estimate a release date?

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't want to rush, but can you estimate a release date?

Nope, we're all volunteers working around other commitments in our life, so an exact date will be difficult to pin down.

We will release when it is ready, and I promise it will be done faster than the time it would take you to study Japanese (or Spanish!) to the level to be able to play the original game or the Spanish patch. That said, if you *have* learned Japanese or Spanish well enough in the time I have been working on this game, and thus have proved my promise wrong, you get an imaginary award for your dedication and for now knowing a language that you didn't 5 years ago. Bravo to you! ;)

mimshipio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Nope, we're all volunteers working around other commitments in our life, so an exact date will be difficult to pin down.

We will release when it is ready, and I promise it will be done faster than the time it would take you to study Japanese (or Spanish!) to the level to be able to play the original game or the Spanish patch. That said, if you *have* learned Japanese or Spanish well enough in the time I have been working on this game, and thus have proved my promise wrong, you get an imaginary award for your dedication and for now knowing a language that you didn't 5 years ago. Bravo to you! ;)
that sounds to me like it'll be out before 2020, that's good to know

Reactions: Anjiera

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that sounds to me like it'll be out before 2020, that's good to know
Okay... I will go out on a crazy limb here and promise that it will definitely be out before 2020. :)

Honestly, we're just being extra picky about some editing and extra ambitious with some of the other remaining things. Picky as in checking term consistency when it is probably fine if it isn't fixed everywhere because it is obvious that X also means Y.

We aren't finding any new bugs anymore, so we just have to wrap up what we know needs to be fixed (I think around 40 bugs of varying difficulty and skill levels to fix).

It is looking better and better every day. :)

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay... I will go out on a crazy limb here and promise that it will definitely be out before 2020. :)

Honestly, we're just being extra picky about some editing and extra ambitious with some of the other remaining things. Picky as in checking term consistency when it is probably fine if it isn't fixed everywhere because it is obvious that X also means Y.

We aren't finding any new bugs anymore, so we just have to wrap up what we know needs to be fixed (I think around 40 bugs of varying difficulty and skill levels to fix).

It is looking better and better every day. :)
so much hype!

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so much hype!

Oh god... Okay, please try to restrain yourself to a small amount, or at worst a medium amount of hype until we release. *nervous laughter* This is going to be great, but there are some things that we know people are going to complain about so... Yeah. We had some tough choices to make. Here's a simple example... (please don't tell me about naming or image issues with these screenshots, we have a list of bugs and these pages have things that aren't fixed yet):

The description of some items show up in multiple places. When I did my string wrapping fixes, I checked two screens - the Item Screen (far left) and the Synthesis Screen (middle). Things fit perfectly, as the screens are roughly the same size. Then, after spending more than 30 hours fixing all of the string wrapping issues with the items (including weapons, key items, etc, not just the synthesis stuff) someone else noticed that the item descriptions also show up in the Imagen Raising Cage (far right) and that the screen size there is way smaller and that lots of descriptions don't fit nicely. We tried changing the size of the box behind the text on that screen, but the game crashes with an image bigger than what it expects in some places, and this fun screen was one of those places. SO. Option 1 is to re-do all of the string wrapping work which is frustrating and tedious and annoying, OR Option 2 is to just not care about that one screen for now, and maybe we can fix it in some future release. You can see the text well enough, and honestly I just can't bring myself to re-do all of that string wrapping any time soon just for one screen that isn't used very much.

There are other things about the game that we are leaving, too. In some places the game does have auto-text wrapping, but it is only a couple of places and it acts on text that *does* get wrapped in one place but *doesn't* get wrapped in another, meaning that it looks dumb in one place and not in the other because the wrapping was designed for Japanese text and we can't (within all reasonable definitions of *can't*) fix that part of the code.

You get the idea. SO. We know that some people won't see this fun, informative post explaining why that text looks like crap on the Imagen Raising Cage screen. And there are other places where we made similar mistakes, or made choices that bought us extra lines of text for dialog which is very helpful, but cause a number of places to have text that looks like it is shifted up a few pixels from center because it is shifted up (as mentioned in a previous post).

Hopefully these examples show you a few things:
(a) Look how pretty things are! Wow!
(b) Look at those few bugs that are probably obvious to you! (But don't tell me here, seriously, I know. Or, if you must, send me a PM about it)
(c) There are things that aren't so pretty and are not going to be fixed, or can't be fixed because we sacrificed pretty in some places for functional in others.
(d) That hype is all fine and good, but don't get carried away with it. This is not an official release of a game by a developer with the source code and people who are getting paid to work on it. This is a volunteer project with people blasting bits at a binary ROM and making magic happen, but magic with limitations.

Thanks for your excitement, encouragement, and support! We do appreciate it! Just don't send us hate mail about the choices we have made, please, because trust me they were all made after lots of experimentation with alternate solutions and debates about which approach would be best for the whole game as opposed to one underused screen (or hours of work forgetting about one stupid screen. ugh.)

In general, I'm really happy with how all the riddles are shaping up (especially the ones that rely on the Astram language, aka Nazcaan in PS3 lingo), and while some might be too easy and some might be too hard, I'm hoping you'll at least appreciate being able to track them down in the PDF pages that we will release alongside the patch at some point before 2020. ;)

Attachments

• SoMuchHype_PointOfOrder.png
    SoMuchHype_PointOfOrder.png
    204.9 KB · Views: 532
Last edited by Anjiera,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts