Translation Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is xxfirefoxxy still part of this project and translating the game?
It looked promising when she presented herself on the previous page, but we haven't heard from her since then.

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they have some other correspondence they're using that she might be on, judging by reddit and romhacking. In any case, they're probably making so much progress with the army they have now.

Zkarts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sadly, xxfirefoxxy has joined the ranks of the disappearing translators. However, like zfreeman noted, we've had a lot of people join up in the last weeks thanks to some well-timed posts :D

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's too bad :(
I had a good feeling.

But you got more artists than translator if I look at the last posts
2 new translators is always nice. I hope too much translators won't be an issue (coordination is not easy).

Good luck on this project, maybe we can see the end before the sequel ;)
(no pressure lol)

Zkarts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But you got more artists than translator if I look at the last posts
2 new translators is always nice. I hope too much translators won't be an issue (coordination is not easy).

Good luck on this project, maybe we can see the end before the sequel ;)
(no pressure lol)

Haha, you're right. We're primarily trying to manage everyone and get everyone up to speed and able to help out. We've gone way past two translators as we got a lot of responses from the Reddit post. We're now at 13 willing translators, 12 graphics editors and a lot of playtesters too.
We're hoping to get it done before the sequel too, but luckily we're already making good progress :D

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So glad there are so many people helping out! I started playing this game in Japanese yesterday, and it's understandable (for the most part) even if you don't know to read Japanese, because, like, 70 percent of the game has voice acting (which is also in Japanese, but eh, 5+ years of watching anime pay off lol), which is amazing for a DS game.

Really looking forward to this translation, and hopefully it'll help many people to see how amazing this game is. Such a shame it wasn't officially localized (for he DS at least)

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys, I just saw that your GoogleDocs folder has a link to the playtesting rom, and I tried downloading it to check it out, but it freezes after the opening sequence on my R4. I had the same problem with the Spanish version but I resolved it by downloading the fixed patch. Is there such a patch for the English version? I'd like to help with proofreading, but I don't like playing on an emulator haha

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, I just saw that your GoogleDocs folder has a link to the playtesting rom, and I tried downloading it to check it out, but it freezes after the opening sequence on my R4. I had the same problem with the Spanish version but I resolved it by downloading the fixed patch. Is there such a patch for the English version? I'd like to help with proofreading, but I don't like playing on an emulator haha

Hey, are you on the Slack Channel? We're trying to keep all the communication between team members there so that we can keep track of everything easier. :)

There may be other people having the same issue, as well, so it helps to have the conversation in a place where everyone can see it. If you have access to the google docs folder, but not Slack let me know and I can add you to the channel. :D

Reactions: Lycan911

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, are you on the Slack Channel? We're trying to keep all the communication between team members there so that we can keep track of everything easier. :)

There may be other people having the same issue, as well, so it helps to have the conversation in a place where everyone can see it. If you have access to the google docs folder, but not Slack let me know and I can add you to the channel. :D
Sure, I'd like to join :) You can PM me if you need my email or something :)

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sure, I'd like to join :) You can PM me if you need my email or something :)
Oh, my mistake. I didn't realize you found the ROM by being sneaky. :P

We're actually struggling to keep our current group of playtesters busy, since we have so many of them. If we have people drop off of the project and need more playtesters, I'll let you know!

-ang

Reactions: Lycan911

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh, my mistake. I didn't realize you found the ROM by being sneaky. [emoji14]

We're actually struggling to keep our current group of playtesters busy, since we have so many of them. If we have people drop off of the project and need more playtesters, I'll let you know!

-ang
I was just reading the documentation and the ROM was right there, in plain sight, for everyone to see. It's not like you have to be sneaky to find it haha
Although I'd recommend removing it from there, someone might just download the unfinished translation and start sharing it left and right, which would be really bad.

Gorgonek

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wow, didn't check the thread for some time and I see progress. Can't wait to play the game in English, since I couldn't understand most of my Japanese import :(

vincentgiova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Keep up the good work guys, if there is still room for a playtester I really would like to join the team! :)

on a side note... anyone knows how to make the rom work on Drastic NDS emulator for Android?
I tried the untouched japanese rom and the spanish translated one but the emulator fails to load them both (it works flawlessly with any other game I tried)
Maybe an issue related to the rom size? Ni no Kuni is the only 4 gigabit (512MB) game I tried, all the other games are smaller.

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Keep up the good work guys, if there is still room for a playtester I really would like to join the team! :)

on a side note... anyone knows how to make the rom work on Drastic NDS emulator for Android?
I tried the untouched japanese rom and the spanish translated one but the emulator fails to load them both (it works flawlessly with any other game I tried)
Maybe an issue related to the rom size? Ni no Kuni is the only 4 gigabit (512MB) game I tried, all the other games are smaller.

I also had issues with Drastic - midway through the game when you changed menu screens and stuff the game would just hang. :( I haven't played much with the other android DS emulator, but you could give it a whirl: nds4droid
This game was on one of the biggest, if not the biggest, cart available for the DS. Which is kinda funny because we're finding tons of unused lines of dialog, images, etc. throughout the ROM. Maybe not enough to be able to cram it onto a smaller cart, but still. Entertaining.

Most of the unused stuff is duplicated or alternate dialog, and the images are often just a different phrasing on a button than what the game shows you, or a slightly different style for a map or whatnot. Interesting, but we haven't found anything major in the way of unused stuff yet. No extra bosses or anything like that. The Spanish team may have, though, since they actually wrapped up their project recently and presumably have seen more of the game than we have.

Reactions: zfreeman

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i have a query..Will this translation work on a official copy of the game ?
Probably not, you might need a flashcard in order to patch the translation.
Also, how is the team going? Is there any ETA for the translation?

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen the boxed, Deluxe Edition of this at cons before! I'm really excited to play this now!
I loved the PS3 Wrath of the White Witch-though it's a bit grindy...

Zkarts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For a little status update: we are currently at a little over 40% with the initial translations and the existing translations so far should technically work in-game, but most of it still needs proofreading, editing for consistency etc.
As for images, we have the initial translated versions ready for just over 75%. Nonetheless, the remaining images will take a little bit more effort and we have to keep looking out for images that are off somehow or possibly incorrectly made.

The bottom line is, we have made great progress, but it's a big project with a whole lot of text, fantasy/witty names that need to get worthy localisations and a ton of images and technical tidbits that all need to play nice together. It takes time to get this done, but it's fantastic how far we've come in the last couple of weeks!

And WooHyun, you will have to patch the game once the patch comes out, so you will need a digital version of the game to do so. So either with a flashcart or emulator.

Last edited by Zkarts,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    haddad @ haddad: anyone online can help me with my new 2ds xl please...