Translation Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

Ants

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi! Sorry i'm probably a bit late to the party to help, as i only just saw this post. I'd love to help if i can, i'm only really good at photoshopping though, but if all that side of it is done... as i said, i may be a bit late. Maybe some proof reading? Either way would love to help. But if it's just not needed, can't wait to see the end result of all your hard work :) :yay3ds:

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi! Sorry i'm probably a bit late to the party to help, as i only just saw this post. I'd love to help if i can, i'm only really good at photoshopping though, but if all that side of it is done... as i said, i may be a bit late. Maybe some proof reading? Either way would love to help. But if it's just not needed, can't wait to see the end result of all your hard work :) :yay3ds:

We could do with a few more super-picky playtesters, and TBH there are still ~200 images to be shopped so help there is not a bad thing.

We have an image editor skills assessment, if you'd like to take a crack at it. The problem with images is if you do certain things to them (extra colors, transparency when there wasn't or vice versa) we can't easily see the issue until it is encountered in-game, so in order to make sure we get our images right on the first try we like to just give people what should be a quick few test files. PM me with an email address (preferably gmail because we use google drive for a bunch of stuff) and I'll hook you up with the assessment.

Reactions: Ants

Ants

Trophies
XP
Country
PM me with an email address
Cool, will do.
Although i feel like PMing you is the first test haha. As no PMing button seems to appear... i wonder if it's because i'm still a new member and there is a wait period to stop internal spamming...? I've even googled how to do it and the button people have posted a screenshot of, showing where it is, is no where to be found for me. Hopefully it appears after this post, or after 24/48 hours of signing up to the forum...

Last edited by Ants,

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What about translating the spanish version to english with google translate instead? Since spanish <-> english translations works way better than any asian language <-> english translations with that..
It's actually way worse than you think.

Reactions: Anjiera

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cool, will do.
Although i feel like PMing you is the first test haha. As no PMing button seems to appear...
I think they updated this UI since the last time I explained it - you can PM someone by just clicking on their name in a browser (probably not mobile?). It'll pop up a dialog box that gives you options like PM. I'd like to let you find it yourself, but if you are still having troubles I can send you the first PM and then all you have to do is figure out how to reply. :P

Ants

Trophies
XP
Country
Hum... Yeah sorry to be a pain, can you PM me please? This is all i see when i click your name:
Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 10.10.56.png

Plti

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was lurking on this thread for ages, but now I'm wondering... Is there anything I can do to help? I'm super-picky and I understand Photoshop. I'm no pro, but I understand how it works.

Plti

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You've got a reply! Your ideas are good. I can't wait 'til this project gets finished so I might get my own hands dirty as well.

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Updated stats:
Text: 61.42% of the text translated (+4.64% since August 29th)

NOTE:
Soon I'll be taking my first bit of time off from work this year and I'll be travelling, so there may be a bit of a delay on updates and/or slower progress for the next month-ish. Please don't be all doom-and-gloom about it, we're making solid progress these days and all the areas that are left in the game have less than 1100 blocks of dialogue, which means we'll see more progress internally using the location-based stats we use, More progress means higher motivation because nothing kills your translation / playtest mojo like a long slog through 2000+ blocks of text, since that takes FOREVER. We still have a ways to go, but now that summer is winding down in most parts of the world, our progress is picking up. Huzzah! :toot:

As always, thanks for the patience and encouragement!

hyprskllz

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
With the translation nearing completion and the 3DS's DSimode hack coming soon, this is the perfect game to play for.
Updated stats:
Text: 61.42% of the text translated (+4.64% since August 29th)

NOTE:
Soon I'll be taking my first bit of time off from work this year and I'll be travelling, so there may be a bit of a delay on updates and/or slower progress for the next month-ish. Please don't be all doom-and-gloom about it, we're making solid progress these days and all the areas that are left in the game have less than 1100 blocks of dialogue, which means we'll see more progress internally using the location-based stats we use, More progress means higher motivation because nothing kills your translation / playtest mojo like a long slog through 2000+ blocks of text, since that takes FOREVER. We still have a ways to go, but now that summer is winding down in most parts of the world, our progress is picking up. Huzzah! :toot:

As always, thanks for the patience and encouragement!
Take your time, you deserves a break. We will wait for your next update.

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can we get a short demo of the gameplay? I'm so excited!
It's not done yet, but yeah... It's nice to be significantly over the 50% mark. :)

We've seen other teams with a more public presence get cease-and-desist orders from the company in charge. If we got one, we would comply with it, so we're just trying to keep a low profile until we're done. Sorry to keep you waiting, but it'll be worth it - even after all of my playthroughs and hours watching other people's Let's Plays and an ungodly number of hours translating things, I can still say this is one of my favorite games from Level 5.

FWIW, I haven't played much past Babanacia on the PS3 version because I got too busy with the translation, so I'm waiting to play the PS3 one until I'm done this project. I can't wait to be done to play through it and see the differences firsthand, instead of just doing page-by-page visual comparisons of the Magic Master Eng. vs. JP books and similar things. Also I prefer the battle system of the DS version. (>_<)

Anyway, no demos until we're done so that you can eventually play the whole thing. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

Valdrrak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not done yet, but yeah... It's nice to be significantly over the 50% mark. :)

We've seen other teams with a more public presence get cease-and-desist orders from the company in charge. If we got one, we would comply with it, so we're just trying to keep a low profile until we're done. Sorry to keep you waiting, but it'll be worth it - even after all of my playthroughs and hours watching other people's Let's Plays and an ungodly number of hours translating things, I can still say this is one of my favorite games from Level 5.

FWIW, I haven't played much past Babanacia on the PS3 version because I got too busy with the translation, so I'm waiting to play the PS3 one until I'm done this project. I can't wait to be done to play through it and see the differences firsthand, instead of just doing page-by-page visual comparisons of the Magic Master Eng. vs. JP books and similar things. Also I prefer the battle system of the DS version. (>_<)

Anyway, no demos until we're done so that you can eventually play the whole thing. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

This is a great idea! Once its done release it everywhere then no one can't stop you hahaha. But seriously I am really looking forward to this as I don't even have my ps3 setup anymore and would like to play it. Hope you guys keep it up, you seem to be progressing fast.

MiiJack

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Great work at translating this even though I never heard about it only recently ,btw how long does it take to beat the game :unsure: ? I plan to play it (if it gets released by then) on Christmas holidays (still a student).

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great work at translating this even though I never heard about it only recently ,btw how long does it take to beat the game :unsure: ? I plan to play it (if it gets released by then) on Christmas holidays (still a student).
I'm not actually sure how long it would take. First off, I am not usually a completionist but this game encouraged those sorts of behaviours in me. I didn't end up grinding through all the post-game stuff, but I did finish quite a lot of it.

When I played it in Japanese I would leave my DS running while I looked up kanji, and my reading speed /comprehension in Japanese was a lot lower in 2010, and is definitely lower than my English reading speed. I managed to put in probably something like 120+ hours without even beating all of the post-game content, but I can't know for sure because the gameplay timer maxxed at 99 hours. We have changed that in our patch so that it now maxxes as 999 hours, since the game actually kept track of total hours, but just didn't display it.

So... it's a long game, especially if you are going to do all the post-game missions and the insane 100F dungeon crawler bit that comes up in the post-game. Taking into account everything I mention above, it's probably at least a 60 hour game, +/- your reading speed, how many sidequests you take on, how much exploring you do, that sort of thing. Enough to keep you busy for your school break, certainly. :)

I would love to guarantee a release date, but we won't really know it is done until it is done. We're still finding conversations that need some work once you see them in context, so even once we're done translating everything we still might take a few weeks to clean everything up and re-playtest sections of the game using our backed-up save files.

Thanks for your interest, and encouragement!

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know how the PS3 version compares but I finished that in around 30 hours. But I didn't really do post-game stuff and collecting everything.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Are all the translated blocks already inserted back to the game?
Do you rebuild the game frequently to see if it works and the conversation flow is fine, or do you re-insert only part of it (only the tested portion) and will have to merge them all before release?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw