"New Windows driver blocks software from changing default web browser"

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you. People keep telling me that Windows is watching my every move. It makes you think, every once in a while.

Lmao at WINdOZE be SPying on MEH!!!!!" All the while people have accounts for things like Facebook, X, Google, Apple, Yahoo, Roku, TikTok, etc. etc. and make zero complaints. The ones that use privacy as a reason to switch to Linux & then do things like use Chrome after the switch are the worst. :lol:

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lmao at WINdOZE be SPying on MEH!!!!!" All the while people have accounts for things like Facebook, X, Google, Apple, Yahoo, Roku, TikTok, etc. etc. and make zero complaints. The ones that use privacy as a reason to switch to Linux & then do things like use Chrome after the switch are the worst. :lol:

Let's just put it this way, I would definitely trust more an open source OS, than a commercial closed source OS that has probably been spying on its users for at least a decade.
Back in the day, we were warned about End User Agreements. Of course, we wouldn't have been able to use the software we wanted without "agreeing" to move forward. No one reads them because they are long, require constant interpretation, and filled with legalese. In the end, we knew what they said: "You bought our software, but we own you." It was less of a concern in the 56K days.

Reactions: Ligeia

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes, exactly. How often are people opening up HTML files anymore? How often does one interact with software that directs users to a website? It is surely not as common as it once was.

Even if you're dealing with software that redirects you, is it really so terrible to have one tab open up in Edge for whatever trivial thing the software needs?
Yes, it is. I never want to see Edge and in fact I've blocked it in my firewall.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
download windows 10 manager and use it to disable the UAC and windows updates than you can do what you want.
it's only trial but once the trial is up just don't use it but the settings will remain. and don't update windows ever again
it works because i have mine set to firefox

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
download windows 10 manager and use it to disable the UAC and windows updates than you can do what you want.
it's only trial but once the trial is up just don't use it but the settings will remain. and don't update windows ever again
it works because i have mine set to firefox

But preventing a higher chance of the default browser being changed without a users permission is what MS is ADDING to Windows. Not taking away. Again, I don't see the issue anyone is having with this. It's a GOOD thing. For example, I'd hate to test drive a new media player only to have it change all of my associations without even asking or by being sneaky about it. Same with a browser. I don't want it changed by some other app either. If I want it changed, I will change it in the Windows settings myself.

Still nothing to see here. Complete non issue.

splaca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Of course you can still find ways around it, but even if you still defend M$/Windows you have to admit this doesn't look good for them.

It's the other way around for me really, I'm not a fan of MS or Windows in the slightest, but to me having to go to system settings to change default apps sounds like the desired behavior.

The only thing I find very weird is that they did this though a... driver? Probably a quirk due to how system permissions work, stinks of workaround.

I've decided, Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC will be my final Windows OS and afterwards it's Linux Mint which I've already gotten used to.

I'd be surprised if Cinnamon (if that is your DE of choice) is much different in this regard.

Be as it may, I hope you have an awesome migration!

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But if you have a separate email client, make notes in another separate note application, etc etc, you'll be clicking lots of links that would open up your browser.
I mean, maybe the solution then is to make the setting available on a per-application basis.

Reactions: cearp

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Looks like most of you got things completely wrong.

MS's driver blocks software, not users from changing the default browser.

This "feature"? will allow users to select their default browser and no software will be allowed to change it.
I like this, and many non-power-users will also like it.
If MS were to block users from changing the default browser they would be sued for this. I know MS is not the smartest company but they're not stupid, or are they?

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I work as a system admin and this sounds terrible. It means, I'll have to dig into Windows Settings and set the default browser manually every time I set up a new company laptop – and I do that a lot. It will also prevent browsers from having a ‘Set as Default’ button pop up at first launch. It's a terrible change all-around.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I shocked about Microsoft to do something hide from us without our permission on our computers with Windows operating systems. Not good news for us and everyone. I would have to move into Linux soon. I not sure if someone are very clever to working on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10/11 with modified system files that's what Microsoft did put something bad in there should must remove. Never forget ReactOS operating system is in working to replace Windows operating systems. I can feel about most people would fill heavy lawsuits against Microsoft company did something wrong made change to Windows operating systems. Wait and see what happen next. :(

• Haha
Reactions: RedColoredStars

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So are you a Mac user?
I was about to ask the same question. :lol: There really is no reason to hate Linux. If someone tries one flavor and doesn't like it, there are tons of others waiting to be discovered. Linux Mint is a good starting point, as it resembles Windows. Granted, I found it a little bit intimidating to use Linux in the beginning, but it grows on you, the more you use it. I just needed to detox from Windows.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There really is no reason to hate Linux. If someone tries one flavor and doesn't like it, there are tons of others waiting to be discovered.
I for one am well past the point where I want to spend my time "discovering" "tons" of different "flavors" that I don't like for different reasons.

Never forget ReactOS operating system is in working to replace Windows operating systems.
It's a nice idea, but they've been working at it for decades now. You wouldn't know anyone who actually uses it as a "daily driver", would you?

Reactions: console

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I for one am well past the point where I want to spend my time "discovering" "tons" of different "flavors" that I don't like for different reasons.
Then I guess Linux is not for you. If you try a new distro thinking "I'll do my best to find something I don't like, and then say I hate Linux!", you will never find one that suits your needs. I suspect you prefer seeing a glass as half empty instead of half full. :P

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Then I guess Linux is not for you. If you try a new distro thinking "I'll do my best to find something I don't like, and then say I hate Linux!", you will never find one that suits your needs.
You're the one who said "If someone tries one flavor and doesn't like it, there are tons of others waiting to be discovered." If I try a new distro and find something I don't like, and then decide that I just have to live with it, how is that different from sticking with Windows..?

I suspect you prefer seeing a glass as half empty instead of half full.
I prefer to see my computer doing the things I want to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer