New WiiU SKU comes with Mario Kart 8 pre-installed for $299.99

NOA_PackShot_MK8Bundle_Front_BonusDLC.jpg

A new ongoing configuration of the Wii U console that includes a pre-installed version of the Mario Kart 8 game as well as a Nintendo eShop download card for the two Mario Kart 8 DLC packs is now on sale in retail stores across the US. The console is available at a suggested retail price of $299.99.

sporkonomix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sporkbox.us
XP
Country
United States
Why? Over 90% of all WiiU owners never use the whole 32GB anyway. BTW: If you buy a new PC with a 1TB HDD, over 150GB are already occupied by the filesystem.

That is flat-out not true. What's advertised as a 1TB hard drive is based on base-1000 (SI) units instead of proper binary units. That's why the discrepancy is there.

In binary units, a terabyte is 1,099,511,627,776 bytes (2 ^ 40), compared to the SI terabyte which is 1,000,000,000,000 bytes (10 ^ 12). That's a difference of 92.67 or so gibibytes (binary gigabytes). Filesystems differ in structure, but most will reserve no more than 5% of the space for administrator and/or root user access, depending on OS. GNU/Linux systems can make it so that *no* space is reserved for such use, and use as much of the HDD as possible (within limitations set by sectors, cylinders, etc).

As for the Wii U, it doesn't make much sense to put MK8 on the main storage (given it's only 32 GB and games are big these days), but as long as that can be moved to an external drive, I see no issue with it. I might actually get this SKU because I've been meaning to get a Wii U and I could totally spring for a new external HDD while I'm at it and still score under $400 grand total, if I'm smart.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not really. Average 64gb nano flash prices have dropped a great deal recently. They are actually slightly lower than the price of 32gb when the wii-u first launched.
Then get a external hard drive (one with y-cable), they cost like $50 for 500gb (I'm using one atm and it has always worked fine). Wii U games are generally much smaller then PS4/Xone games anyway.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW: If you buy a new PC with a 1TB HDD, over 150GB are already occupied by the filesystem.

What OS or PC manufacturer are you running where the OS takes up 150GB? I can see maybe 100GB INCLUDING the recovery image partition, and even that's a stretch since recovery partitions are compressed.

Either way, I agree that 5GB out of 32GB is not much to worry about. The only way to fill that bad boy up is if you buy all digital games, which honestly, who in this forum does that? :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What OS or PC manufacturer are you running where the OS takes up 150GB? I can see maybe 100GB INCLUDING the recovery image partition, and even that's a stretch since recovery partitions are compressed.

Either way, I agree that 5GB out of 32GB is not much to worry about. The only way to fill that bad boy up is if you buy all digital games, which honestly, who in this forum does that? :)
Actually, if you buy just one digital game it can take up most of that space right away.

Reactions: Margen67

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
or you can buy 4 retail $60 games and still have several gbs left over, like me. (MK8, Splatoon, Lego Marvel, PIKMIN 3)
I have Splatoon and Wonderful 101 on it. Wonderful 101 is 10+ GB plus all game updates combined take up a lot of space too. I have Wind Waker HD digital but deleted the download to make room. Other than that I don't really have much installed yet my Wii U is almost full :mellow:

You are referring to Lego City: Undercover , right?
I was thinking of Wonderful 101, which takes 10 GB. But add that to the update and DLC data of all the games I have (over 2GB for MK8, same for SSB4, 800MB for NSMBU, plus smaller updates for a few other games) and well over half the space is taken up already. It would probably be possible to fill the entire Wii U memory with just game updates and DLC if I owned enough Wii U games.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't mind the game bundled in the hardrive, but it's not, you have to download it so if I buy a Wii U and got no Internet then
I'm screwed! What about data caps? USA has some of the worst internet providers in the world! If the NX is digital only then I'm out.

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
Soooo, your paying $299 for a 3DS connected to a tv and a slightly remade Mario game? Nice!

Funny thing is some people actually charge more than 300$ to mod your 3DS to plug it to your TV :P

The Wii U is actually pretty awesome if you have friends, that's why is so unpopular with so many
gamers being social rejects XD

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up