Hacking New users guide to setting up Wood R4

TheLostSabre

Naberius the Nauseous
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wood R4 doesn't support (or at the very least not entirely compatible) R4 SDHC if I remember correctly. Looks around! Google is your friend y'know.
tongue.gif

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So...

Could you (or someone else) ready another
"Alternatively a premade Wood R4 v1.15 as secondary Operating Software can be downloaded from Here or Here"
but for 1.17?

Just like for 1.15, whenever I try to set it up myself, even though the guide is really good and I follow it exactly, nothing works at all. So I'm kind of dependant on a premade secondary OS setup being available.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Shoat said:
So...

"Alternatively a premade Wood R4 v1.15 as secondary Operating Software can be downloaded from Here or Here"
but for 1.17?

Just like for 1.15, whenever I try to set it up myself, even though the guide is really good and I follow it exactly, nothing works at all. So I'm kind of dependant on a premade secondary OS setup being available.
It's not exactly hard to change the _ds_menu.dat into a regular .nds file...You just need to find something like R4denc and just run the _ds_menu.dat through the decrypting and rename the output into blah.nds. Apart from that, it's the exact same setup.

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
jurassicplayer said:
It's not exactly hard to change the _ds_menu.dat into a regular .nds file...You just need to find something like R4denc and just run the _ds_menu.dat through the decrypting and rename the output into blah.nds. Apart from that, it's the exact same setup.

I had the same problem that I had the last time I came here (see post a few pages back), after doing exactly what the guide said failed, I also tried a few other tools that were supposed to change the .dat into an .nds.
They all either did nothing at all, or crashed and died, or created a 0 kbyte .nds file that didn't do crap, or crashed my whole computer.

Nothing I try on this matter ever works. So if I have no premade Wood-as-secondary-OS available, I end up having no Wood at all.

gorelab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am missing something? I copied the DS_Menu.dat file and the _rpg directory to my r4 card for Wood 1.18 but it seems to be running 1.17.

ooklmao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
Shoat said:
So...

but for 1.17?

Hey can u help me out? i have the exact same problem as shoat, but i actually want to learn how to do it so i wont have to rely on a premade one. PLZZZ and thanks in advance:D

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
ooklmao said:
jurassicplayer said:

Hey can u help me out? i have the exact same problem as shoat, but i actually want to learn how to do it so i wont have to rely on a premade one. PLZZZ and thanks in advance:D
I pretty much said the instructions already...
-Download http://filetrip.net/f977-r4denc.html
-Extract to computer
-Drag and drop _ds_menu.dat onto r4dec.exe
-Rename _ds_menu.dat.dec to WoodR4.nds
-Use WoodR4.nds...
-???
-Profit?

Retrovertigo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to follow the instructions in the first post to get wood running as a secondary OS, but using XP I don't get the "open command window here" no matter how I try.

ooklmao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
ooklmao said:
jurassicplayer said:

I pretty much said the instructions already...
-Download http://filetrip.net/f977-r4denc.html
-Extract to computer
-Drag and drop _ds_menu.dat onto r4dec.exe
-Rename _ds_menu.dat.dec to WoodR4.nds
-Use WoodR4.nds...
-???
-Profit?
yeaaa srry i realize u said instruction before, but when i downloaded it i didn't know which one to run it through, there was like r4dec and r4enc and i just got really confuse..
tongue.gif
anyways ty very much
biggrin.gif
btw is the file size suppose to be the same when it comes out??

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Retrovertigo said:
I'm trying to follow the instructions in the first post to get wood running as a secondary OS, but using XP I don't get the "open command window here" no matter how I try.

An alternate way to achieve this is to copy and paste the following line into Notepad

[email protected]

and save it as "Open Command Window Here.bat" inside the folder, then just double click on the .bat file. If it just opens again in Notepad, it saved as .bat.txt, and you need to change that (you may have to show hidden file extensions, which is another issue I won't go into unless you run into this problem).

Retrovertigo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@qwertymodo - that worked great thanks
smile.gif

Only issue I seem to have, is that folders appear onscreen with no text beside them describing what they contain. I am guessing it must be an issue with having it as a secondary OS. Games load, just a pain navigating them.

tk_saturn

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have little interest in GBAtemp anymore and had no intentions of posting again.

It's pissed me off now. On Windows XP you can get the "Command Prompt Here" by downloading the XP powertools from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx I've already mentioned it somewhere in the thread. Powertools was always a very useful set of tweaks, hence why most of it was interated into Vista.

QUOTE said:
Color Control Panel Applet
Professional-level photographers and designers know that getting consistent, accurate color from file to screen to print and beyond is a requirement for great results. This new tool helps you manage Windows color settings in one place. Download or learn more.

SyncToy
With new sources of files coming from every direction (such as digital cameras, e-mail, cell phones, portable media players, camcorders, PDAs, and laptops), SyncToy can help you copy, move, and synchronize different directories. Download or learn more.

RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer
Are you a serious photographer? Now you can organize and work with digital RAW files in Windows Explorer (much as you can with JPEG images). This tool provides thumbnails, previews, printing, and metadata display for RAW images. Download or learn more.

ClearType Tuner
This PowerToy lets you use ClearType technology to make it easier to read text on your screen, and installs in the Control Panel for easy access.

HTML Slide Show Wizard
This wizard helps you create an HTML slide show of your digital pictures, ready to place on your Web site.

Open Command Window Here
This PowerToy adds an "Open Command Window Here" context menu option on file system folders, giving you a quick way to open a command window (cmd.exe) pointing at the selected folder.

Alt-Tab Replacement
With this PowerToy, in addition to seeing the icon of the application window you are switching to, you will also see a preview of the page. This helps particularly when multiple sessions of an application are open.

Tweak UI
This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.

Version 2.10 requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2003.

Power Calculator
With this PowerToy you can graph and evaluate functions as well as perform many different types of conversions.

Image Resizer
This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click.

CD Slide Show Generator
With this PowerToy you can view images burned to a CD as a slide show. The Generator works downlevel on Windows 9x machines as well.

Virtual Desktop Manager
Manage up to four desktops from the Windows taskbar with this PowerToy.

Taskbar Magnifier
Use this PowerToy to magnify part of the screen from the taskbar.

Webcam Timershot
This PowerToy lets you take pictures at specified time intervals from a Webcam connected to your computer and save them to a location that you designate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, This chat is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In other news GeForce experience is still shit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: In other news GeForce experience is still shit