Hacking New Super Mario Bros Poll: How it works for you

Does the game work for you via a disc loader?

• yes (NO chip)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no (NO chip)

• yes (chip)

• no (chip)

• never tried

• Total voters

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The leaking of this game before launch should drastically cut early profit margins which could have a huge negative externality on the Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development division, which could lead to inferior Mario games in the future and likely will reduce spending on future games.

I believe the correct term here is "could" drastically cut early profit margins.

You must remember that the general public isn't even aware that you can mod systems to play copies at all. And most of the general public that does know that you can mod the system is afraid to do so.

Think about it. This game is being released during the main holiday spending period. It will surely make a great deal of money as it is.

Piracy will always be a factor, but it remains something that the vast majority don't do anyway.

QUOTEIn short, if the Wii had no SD card or USB slots, it would be almost impossible to pirate. Also, restricting access to the internet in addition to these methods would highly reduce piracy. It would also reduce the appeal of the system.

As you said, it would reduce the appeal of the system. Almost all modern game consoles come with the ability to use external media. While this may allow piracy, it's needed in order to increase certain functionality.

jap0knees

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I'm not against pirating for moral concerns, I'm against it for economic concerns. Pirating has a negative externality (if you have no idea what that is, get a brain) on the video game industry in this case and although for the Wii it is less of an issue for Nintendo of America (the are known for not loss leading their system, meaning they profit for each Wii sold, unlike Sony, which has significant losses from each PS3 sold) than it is for Sony, but it is still a major issue and it significantly reduces profit margins for game developers, which causes less incentive to build the games."

This obviously isn't true based on a logical out look of the industry itself. Game developers continue to develope games requardless of piracy and they keep making them better than before, also a good bit of people that pirate either A. intended to buy the retail copy after for the case, factory disc, etc. or B. never intended to buy the game anyways but pirated it because they had the ability. Plus with your own logic about piracy being an economic hardship for game developers, wouldnt a video game rental store have the same effect? nobody buys the game they just play it for a week then return it and never go buy the game they played....just my two cents.

maybe companies shouldnt count every download of a pirated copy as a loss of a sale. ( mostly because that cant prove that individual would have purchased the game anyways)

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
illinialex24 said:
You do realize anyone who votes in this either:

1) Bought the game from a store who released it early, in short, illegally.

2) Pirated the game.

Do you have the game? If so you are in the same boat like all others here ;-P

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hade problems too.
I got "Eject disc" error.

I fixed it really easy by just downloading DOP-IOS v8 MOD, then make sure it use IOS249 to patch, then only downloaded the latest IOS53. Now it works like a charm.

eldi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
illinialex24 said:
2). Use a medium tricky to pirate.

N64 carttridges, need an explanation?

I think you need a lesson - go and look up Doctor V64 - people were playing games via those on N64 before they were in the shops BITD

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
eldi said:
illinialex24 said:

I think you need a lesson - go and look up Doctor V64 - people were playing games via those on N64 before they were in the shops BITD

Shiiiiit, I forgot about them. I remember getting 'session discs' for these BITD. Awesome piece of kit, well worth the cash.

tomazzzi

Trophies
XP
Country
Useless topic as there s already one for this game.

Are we going to create 20 topics just for this little game ?

THIS GAME WORKS ON ALL WII VERSIONS IF YOU DO WHAT MUST BE DONE. SIMPLE AS 1 + 2, JUST FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TRushInfo said:
or is this the part where i type a huge 2 pager that explains my intelligence and my official stance on the abortion of gay children
I hate those people two. Writing pages about how smart they are and they just show that they have no hobbies because they have the time to write all this shit.
eldi said:
QUOTE(illinialex24 @ Nov 10 2009, 03:46 AM) 2). Use a medium tricky to pirate.

And you: look up the prices for doctor v64 (when they were built and today) and then say they were easy to copy (easy includes cheap for me).

Santana187

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Setup: Pal Wii 4.1 E, Wiikey V1

I get an error as soon as i put in the gamedisc (fixed main.dol).
The error pops up before I even start the game.

I have the same problem with fixed US Games (US no more heroes uncut with Pal Fix). Games which are not fixed run perfectly.

Can i fix this problem or should I burn the version without the fix and run the game with neogamma ?

Cuber

Trophies
Website
mytgn.co.uk
XP
Country
illinialex24 said:
The leaking of this game before launch should drastically cut early profit margins which could have a huge negative externality on the Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development division, which could lead to inferior Mario games in the future and likely will reduce spending on future games.
I personally feel that most people who pirate, wouldn't of bought the game in the first place.. even if they couldn't pirate it.

eldi said:
QUOTE(illinialex24 @ Nov 10 2009, 03:46 AM) 2). Use a medium tricky to pirate.

They said tricky, not impossible.
Like with the wii you don't even need to buy anything extra, except maybe a cheap SD card, which makes it really easy. With the N64 you had to find probably expensive and hard to find extra hardware.

ChoroQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Game untouched iso works for me with Neogamma (sistem menu 4.0E and Wiikey V1 1.9)
Guess when wi'll be able to run trough disc channel without fixing the iso or so..

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
bazamuffin said:
eldi said:
illinialex24 said:

Shiiiiit, I forgot about them. I remember getting 'session discs' for these BITD. Awesome piece of kit, well worth the cash.

I know there was still piracy on the N64 but compared to other systems, it was much more difficult and much less appealing to pirate N64 games.

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Cuber said:
I personally feel that most people who pirate, wouldn't of bought the game in the first place.. even if they couldn't pirate it.

That is a factor and obviously all pirated games do not cut into the profit margin and some pirating can actually aid a game slightly (in short, a very low publicity game gets pirated and then word of mouth spreads through that user causing many more to buy it as a result), but for the most part it does cut profit margins.

Obviously, if Nintendo released figures on how much it lost due to piracy, I would guess only 10% of that would be their true revenue. Obviously we have extremes such as people who pirate every game (jackass who wanted to break the 500 game limit...) and those who do not pirate at all or pirate games they would never buy in the first place.

But still, it does reduce profit margins and it can reduce important profit margins for smaller games. But that does not mean it does not affect long term games.

And anyone who thinks I oppose emulators for N64, Gamecube, SNES, PS1, and Dreamcast or old systems, get real, there's no profit margin for developers from those systems anymore. Sure its illegal, but I mean, who cares.

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
with full disregard to the point of this thread (for now, cause i dont have the game yet):

there are alot of people (more than you can imagine) would just not buy any game. if there was no way to play it for free, they would just resort to other things in life. thus, it would have not been sold anyways:)

devs dont lose money from pirates, remember that. its money they would have never of made anyways:)

i bought a ps3, for one game. street fighter 4. i bought that game. i didnt buy call of duty, or other popular games. why? im not gonna buy them, nor will i ever play them. there is no method for piracy, so i will never play them, and the game cost money, so i will never buy it:)

im not THAT poor, i just dont want to buy it:) since i cant play call of duty, i do other things, like school:)

on the other hand, my wii is softmodded, when tigerwoods 2010 came out with motion plus, i bought the game bundled with the accessory. popped the game in, didnt load without an update, so i loaded the game up to the usb drive, then played the game from there:). i enjoyed the game for the little bit i played it.

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
silvershadow said:
with full disregard to the point of this thread (for now, cause i dont have the game yet):

there are alot of people (more than you can imagine) would just not buy any game. if there was no way to play it for free, they would just resort to other things in life. thus, it would have not been sold anyways:)

devs dont lose money from pirates, remember that. its money they would have never of made anyways:)

i bought a ps3, for one game. street fighter 4. i bought that game. i didnt buy call of duty, or other popular games. why? im not gonna buy them, nor will i ever play them. there is no method for piracy, so i will never play them, and the game cost money, so i will never buy it:)

im not THAT poor, i just dont want to buy it:) since i cant play call of duty, i do other things, like school:)

on the other hand, my wii is softmodded, when tigerwoods 2010 came out with motion plus, i bought the game bundled with the accessory. popped the game in, didnt load without an update, so i loaded the game up to the usb drive, then played the game from there:). i enjoyed the game for the little bit i played it.

You are an exception its true and many people are like that. However, for example, most systems you need around 5-10 games to enjoy. The average Wii user used to buy 4. However, piracy does overall the number of games reduced, for some users, it actually increases sales and for some, it decreases sales.

However, there is an overall trend:

Here are some examples of users:

1). Demoer: Technically pirates games to test to see if they work well, and tries them out before deciding whether it is worth 50 bucks.

2). Pirater: Decides to get any game on his Wii for free and does not have legal copies of anything, replaces games he would normally buy

3). Semi-Pirater: Buys games he likes and pirates those he does not. Does not result in a significant loss of sales.

4). Legal user: Uses backup loading for legal backups and uses a USB drive to prevent the wearing out of his disc drive.

5). Non modifier: Chooses not to modify his Wii or does not know how to.

Obviously, 4 and 5 do not reduce sales. 1 can either increase sales or reduce sales depending on the financial situation of the person. If he is rich, chances are he will just buy the game if he's questioning it, if he's poor, he will not buy it. Obviously thats a huge generalization, the impulsiveness of the buyer is also important. So demoing can definitely increase sales so it can be beneficial to Nintendo. I bought Wii Sports Resort for this reason.

2 reduces sales and often significantly. 3 can reduce sales slightly but generally has no impact. But overall, piracy has a negative externality.

1 is the ideal place to be because if you demo games, you get the maximum consumer and producer surplus because if you buy a game you do not enjoy, since the price is essentially fixed, and you did not know you valued it less than the price you payed, you have a negative consumer surplus which is bad for consumers. Nintendo's producer surplus do to the relatively fixed prices is directly related to quantity sold for a given game or games in general for the most part and so it's producer surplus increases due to quantity sold. If you would have a positive consumer surplus from buying the game, you should buy it, if you would have a negative surplus, do not play the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries