New Mighty No. 9 trailer release - 'Beat Them At Their Own Game'

MIGHTY_mainart0826_fix.png

A new Mighty No. 9 trailer has just been released a long with further detail of the game's launch later this year:

Deep Silver and Comcept today release a new (60 FPS) gameplay trailer for the upcoming side-scrolling action game and Kickstarter sensation, Mighty No. 9. In 'Beat Them At Their Own Game', the hero of the game, Beck, takes on the challenge of his eight mighty opponents and fights his way through ever-changing stages and epic boss fights. The video showcases the action that transforms the feel of 8 and 16-bit classics into a fresh modern-day classic.
Mighty No. 9 will be available on 15th September 2015 in the Americas and on 18th September 2015 worldwide as a digital download as well as physical retail version for PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox One, PC, Linux and Mac & as well as digital only on the Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3. Portable versions for PlayStation Vita and Nintendo 3DS will follow at a later date.

Mighty No. 9 will support Cross-Buy across PS4, PS3 and PS Vita.

20150603_MN9_Screen_01.jpg 20150603_MN9_Screen_02.jpg 20150603_MN9_Screen_03.jpg 20150603_MN9_Screen_04.jpg 20150603_MN9_Screen_05.jpg

:arrow:Mighty No. 9 Official Site

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably get it on Vita since I don't care for 3D and prefer the larger screen. I wouldn't want to play it on Consoles I enjoy platformers on handhelds more.
I'm playing on the Vita right now. It's nice to be able to quickly switch between the big screen (PS3) and handheld (Vita), and it looks nice, and it's comfier to hold. But I prefer the "feel" of the 3DS dpad and buttons (Vita buttons feel "squeaky" to me, if that makes sense), and I love the 3D effect.

darkseekerliu

Advanced Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just would like to see a new Megaman X game. I love the series, hope Mighty n.9 will be a real spiritual successor. I also did not loose the hope about Crapcom
making a new MegamanX game.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, even the BACKERS have to pay for the DLC? Fucking seriously?

Actually, I'm not sure. Maybe the backers get all the DLC bullshit but my main point was that fans paid for the game(and the project received almost 4 million with the goal being $900,000) and it shouldn't have day 1 DLC bullshit in it because it taints the game and is morally wrong, even if backers get all the shit that they're taking out of the game to nickel and dime people for. Good question, but I don't know.

edit: I want a new MMX game too, never played the ZX games but really need to. Personally I'd love a new 2d MMx game, or like the newest Guilty Gear use 3d models and animate them like sprites.(costs a lot though) Or they could go the same route they went for MM9-10 and make an X game either 16 or 32-bit style, preferably PS1/Saturn style because those games had gorgeous sprites.

Last edited by Hungry Friend,
Reactions: TripleSMoon

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes me wonder if all the, "Kickstarter projects with the original creators" are doomed to be all hype and just a meh game.

That's more or less the main reason I didn't back the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter. I mean, hell, the funding was being funneled into an established private company which presumably is in a position to take on the risk of loans, if necessary, instead of seeking crowd sourcing. That rubs me all sorts of the wrong way. It didn't help that their actual goal was on the order of, what, $900,000? Compared to a lot of other developers who have goals closer to the $20,000 to $200,000 range? (Shovel Knight's goal was $75,000.) So while other (indie) developers take on much more of the risk... Oh, and they had another funding campaign for Mighty No 9 to add more content. *sigh*

But back to the game itself, it looks decent enough. Reminds me a lot of MMX5 in gameplay, Mega Man Powered Up in appearance. And further speaking of continue older series, I'd say in some ways I'd like to see a continuation of the MMZ series if only to perhaps fix the entirely nonsensical story and perhaps re-add air dashes which seem very oddly missing from the series. Honestly, I'd probably have gotten a lot more into the series and ignore the plot a lot more if there had been air dashes, as at least then I'd feel like I had better control dodging on such a small screen.

In any case, for those interested in more Mega Man-like games (perhaps some more Metroidvania...), there's Rex Rocket, Explodemon (a bit harder to recommend), Valdis Story (again, a bit harder to recommend), and probably tons I've never heard of or are more SSB (Joylancer, Megabyte Punch) or speed running (Super Meat Boy (of course), Dustforce, Fenix Rage). So, yea, if Might No 9 turns out to be a bust, there's still a lot of pretty good or great games to play. :)

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow... all of the bitching from you guys about this game.... If you feel that you can organize the talent, get public support, handle a budget, perform the programming for several different systems, and then put it all together for less time and money?? Then do it and make this game look like bad .
sure just me give:

4 million dollars to do the base game - game will be ready in 2 and half years, and will use outdated graphics instead of sprites and make people question where all that money went
another 200k for eng voice overs - I will pull people off the street to get the real authentic english that our fan base wants, and pocket the other 195k
and another 200k for paid dlc - after the game is complete I will strip the game of costume unlocks and will resell one of them as day one paid dlc, for the rest one costume will be sold every month for the next year, 3 levels will be stripped from the base game and resold as "lost levels" dlc pack

but I will make my game better by making it f2p

Reactions: ferret7463

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Shovel Knight's goal was $75,000.
I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, but I don't think Shovel Knight is a good comparison. In addition to the fact that it's a smaller NES-styled game with sprites instead of 3D models, it actually got over $300,000 in its Kickstarter with stretch goals. And even then, they ran out of money about 3 months before release and had to crunch to get it done, and withheld about half of the stretch goals to come later as free content updates (none of which have come out yet). All that considered, it's pretty clear that Shovel Knight's actual cost was massively underestimated by the developers.
And further speaking of continue older series, I'd say in some ways I'd like to see a continuation of the MMZ series if only to perhaps fix the entirely nonsensical story and perhaps re-add air dashes which seem very oddly missing from the series. Honestly, I'd probably have gotten a lot more into the series and ignore the plot a lot more if there had been air dashes, as at least then I'd feel like I had better control dodging on such a small screen.
Didn't they add air dashing as an upgrade? I could've sworn they were in Zero 3 and/or 4, but maybe I'm mistaken. Either way though, I found the games quite playable without and thoroughly enjoyed the story, personally. What did you find nonsensical about it?
In any case, for those interested in more Mega Man-like games (perhaps some more Metroidvania...), there's Rex Rocket, Explodemon (a bit harder to recommend), Valdis Story (again, a bit harder to recommend), and probably tons I've never heard of or are more SSB (Joylancer, Megabyte Punch) or speed running (Super Meat Boy (of course), Dustforce, Fenix Rage). So, yea, if Might No 9 turns out to be a bust, there's still a lot of pretty good or great games to play. :)
I'll look into them. ;)

Last edited by TripleSMoon,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All that considered, it's pretty clear that Shovel Knight's actual cost was massively underestimated by the developers.

True. The same issue has occurred with Cryamore, a game I backed (and is way behind the original schedule). The point, though, is that indie developers aren't going to Kickstarter expecting or demanding* that most their budget is pre-paid by fans. The developers are taking on a large part of the risk and often are already years into the development. Yet it still can take them years longer because a lot of said developers are first-timers who are learning the hard lessons that cost a good deal of money or simply that it costs a lot more than they originally thought. Meanwhile, an established company actually has the framework to deal with these things and a much better idea on budget. So, they demand* more money, and demand* even more for extra content and then they plan to sell that extra content as DLC. In short, they're pushing more and more risk on the consumer, and I don't like it.

Didn't they add air dashing as an upgrade? I could've sworn they were in Zero 3 and/or 4, but maybe I'm mistaken. Either way though, I found the games quite playable without and thoroughly enjoyed the story, personally. What did you find nonsensical about it?

They might have had double jump or something, but no air dash IIRC. And I agree that once I gave the games a second change I realized they're still quite playable. It'd just seemed crazy to remove a key feature of the older games since X2 without some good justification at least hinted at. As for the story...

Where do I begin? An "energy crisis" when reploids use fusion as power? Hint, if you have an energy crisis because of that you've got bigger problems like a general lack of water. X (or Copy X) have four guardians? That's entirely out of character. Cyber elfs that are quasi-reploids? The whole Weil auto-regeneration body suit because clearly it's a real punishment to keep a human alive indefinitely--and the argument about it being an X kill-no-humans, well, Zero clearly would have done the deed or humans would have, you know, executed him (or at least life imprisonment which still would have left him dead by the time of the story. Omega stealing Zero's "original" body which oddly lacks an air dash and doesn't look right... The whole notion of a Mother Elf magically fixing the whole Maverick problem...except it didn't since Maverickism at a philosophical level is just reploids being human and choosing evil. Etc.

Which is not to say X's story line made much sense either. But it didn't seem to go off the rails until perhaps X4. Zero went off the rails on MMZ3, IMHO.

Edit ran out of time for this earlier.

*I keep saying demand, but I don't mean the more "authoritative claim" of the term but more the "actively seek out" form. I mean, technically Might No. 9 *isn't* a Mega Man game no matter if the old band is making it. People just wanted a Mega Man-like game and probably a regular supply of them. :) The Kickstarter asking for money from a company who, what, thought there wasn't enough consumer demand or they couldn't financially take the risk? Maybe it was meant more of as a love song to the original series at the beginning, as Infaking has on various occasions stated he liked MM2 best and then MM9 came out but perhaps wasn't the blockbuster success he expected from, presumably, reverting to MM2 game mechanics... *sigh* It's like trying to go back in time and relive those moments you nostalgically remember as being the best...and wanting someone else to foot the bill.

Last edited by kuwanger,
Reactions: Deleted User

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The graphical downgrades and such don't bug me at all and the gameplay actually looks really similar to the 32-bit MMX games. I would be hyped for this game if it weren't for the incredibly greedy, unnecessary DLC scams. Now I have to boycott it if I don't wanna be a hypocrite. Downloading a "backup copy" may be the only option if I wanna play it, but I think I'll simply pass and wait for something better. Plus, I haven't played all the PS1/Saturn MMX games so I'll just play those.

pdensco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
i still love this if it has low graphics people stop complaining. if you dont want it then close this page:mellow:

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game's kickstarter goal was $900,000 and they got 3.8 million, yet they're still gonna nickel and dime people for fake ass DLC that was taken out of the game. Yeah just be a good fanboy and stop complaining, right? Point is, I DO want it but I'm boycotting it because of the bullshit DLC scams.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks okay. The day one DLC bothers me, so I'll wait and see how that goes. I think the main problem with it is it just looks okay or good. With the hype it got, I think people were expecting a lot more. I'm fine with it just being good, because that's how it originally seemed to be going. Just because something got a lot more money than anticipated from kickstart doesn't mean they should change their plan to expand to the budget, seems like it would lose focus that way. I'd rather the extra money just go to their next project.

That said, even from the original kickstarter standpoint, it still isn't impressing me. Especially with that day one DLC. It just comes off as too AAA to me, and not in the good ways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, WAKE UP