Hacking New feature: Force 16:9 widescreen on gamecube games

Fgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Tried Tales of Symphonia US NTSC version using the dml16x9realnand - freezes immediately after the memory card check screen (not using NMM).

Tried MGS: Twin Snakes US NTSC. Instantly black screens.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow, this is pretty awesome. I was kind of surprised when forcing 480p works on most games that don't support it 'natively', I didn't guess forcing widescreen was a thing that was possible outside of emulators. I wonder what the chances of this getting integrated into DiosMios and/or DML officially is?

jmjohnson85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really surprised there's not more people asking for this functionality in either DM or Devolution considering how popular both projects are right now plus the fact that most people have HDTV's nowadays.

I would have thought that native 16:9 support like this would have high priority in modern projects that allow you to enjoy older content in a better/enhanced method of delivery...

Actually I don't think it would even be that difficult to incorporate - it was added to Swiss a mere 3 days after the idea was even proposed.

Reactions: 1 person

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really surprised there's not more people asking for this functionality in either DM or Devolution considering how popular both projects are right now plus the fact that most people have HDTV's nowadays.

I would have thought that native 16:9 support like this would have high priority in modern projects that allow you to enjoy older content in a better/enhanced method of delivery...

Actually I don't think it would even be that difficult to incorporate - it was added to Swiss a mere 3 days after the idea was even proposed.

I mean adding it to DM or Devolution would be much easier than adding wii classic controller support or audio streaming. I love using Swiss to play my gamecube games in widescreen. Melee in widescreen, Why would I ever play brawl again? (IMO of course). It brings new life to these games when you add widescreen. It's almost like playing the game in a different perspective which makes the games almost feel like new again.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Because it's not "true" widescreen, Even the wii output is not true widescreen. In order to get that the wii would have to change it's resolution.
I'ts a cheap fix from nintendo. Compare 4:3 and 16:9 for the games your have( set your tc acoordingly ) and you'll see the picture is of a for higher quality than it is in 16:9.
It's how most games on wii are developed.
Wii in 16:9 makes the picture somewhat blurrier. Thank god for the 4:3 ratio option in usb loader gx.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Do I need to set an option in USBloader GX or something because although I installled the dios mios 2.1 wad. My GC games still play in 4:3
GX hasn't changed the options yet but since in 2.1 they replaced the NoDisk option with the Widescreen option, if you turn NoDisk on in GX, DM 2.1 will interpret it as "Widescreen on"
(ever since DML v1.0 DM(L) just ignores the loader's setting for NoDisk anyhow and just pays attention to whether you actually have a disk in the drive or not to decide whether or not to actually set it.)

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not true widescreen or true widescreen resolution?
Resolution. Wii always outputs at 4:3, but in 16:9 mode your TV is supposed to stretch the image. Thus multiple pixels are crammed together into one.
Now if there was only a way to force a resolution 854x480 on the wii then it would really look that much better. I still like the forced widescreen, I hate when only part of my tv is not being used, even though the image doesn't look as clear I still prefer it over 4:3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol