New ad network - centralize discussions here

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
We have switched to a new ad network just recently. We're still working out the kinks, please bear with us until we're done :)

Known issues, which will be addressed by our supplier as soon as possible:
- bottom adverts on mobile are too big
- <please post in this thread if you are getting other issues>

On most ads you will also see a "report ad" button, please click it to report it, obviously. There's no need to report it again on the forums since we'll only tell you to use that report button.

Also, please keep in mind that these ads arent there just for the fun of it. We need revenue to keep servers going, to allow some staff to get (small) payments to keep the site alive, and ... competitions. A big one's coming up real soon, if you've been following the Switch forums you know what I'm talking about. ;)

• Please contact our advertising representatives at Playwire for ad rates, packages and general advertising information.
  • All display advertising on our site is managed by Playwire. If you would like to advertise please visit www.playwire.com or email [email protected].

Last edited by Costello,
D

Deleted User

do you have any screenshots ? could you provide more details ?
theres a report button under some ads if that helps
It’s these large adds that appear between posts that do it

If I scroll down farther it will fill my whole screen before I can than scroll even further and see more replies

Attachments

• 48D72164-3296-486A-A71B-95058A99C7FB.png
    48D72164-3296-486A-A71B-95058A99C7FB.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 128

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s becoming impossible to browse on mobile. Ads are so frequent and invasive that it is causing crashes and viewing skips. I’ll be at the top of a thread, then at the bottom suddenly with a pop up on the bottom. The scrolling ads repeat themselves over and over, even on the same page.

4FC481B8-EEF7-4756-8D5F-76224FFD0924.png 9C23A606-0FED-4BDD-A3F1-14AC44CA3118.png D0F2F870-1047-417D-897B-3C7A9552F626.png 6E0F6896-F308-44D6-A760-70F271D5494D.png EF3750ED-5992-4FFE-A39A-515924A900BF.png

It’s oversaturation and it’s completely killing the forum experience on mobile.

Reactions: Deleted User

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
It’s becoming impossible to browse on mobile. Ads are so frequent and invasive that it is causing crashes and viewing skips. I’ll be at the top of a thread, then at the bottom suddenly with a pop up on the bottom. The scrolling ads repeat themselves over and over, even on the same page.

View attachment 152268 View attachment 152269 View attachment 152270 View attachment 152271 View attachment 152272

It’s oversaturation and it’s completely killing the forum experience on mobile.
I solved my problem long ago with an adblocker. It kept logging me out and kept crashing. Not anymore. Ads help the site but until they fix their Ad problem I’m not taking ad block off. It’s the only thing that makes the site usable.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: Pleng

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I solved my problem long ago with an adblocker. It kept logging me out and kept crashing. Not anymore. Ads help the site but until they fix their Ad problem I’m not taking ad block off. It’s the only thing that makes the site usable.
If you know a good adblocker for Apple, Im all ears.

I can solve it by using my VPN and placing myself in Denmark (Haven't tried anywhere else) but c'mon. That's pretty extreme for just casual web surfing.

Last edited by brickmii82,
Reactions: H1B1Esquire

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you know a good adblocker for Apple, Im all ears.

I can solve it by using my VPN and placing myself in Denmark (Haven't tried anywhere else) but c'mon. That's pretty extreme for just casual web surfing.
Doesn't firefox for ios support extensions?

Reactions: brickmii82

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Got one to report that I've recieved a couple times in the past week on mobile. Chrome on iOS. Hope it helps and I appreciate the effort on working with the ad networks.

Some folks are delusional in thinking there is a scheme here or just a lack of care in ad content. People run this site, not a company, and they've done it since the beginning. Pretty sure they care more than most considering the time put in, eh?

Attachments

• 9786001B-4F67-486F-A9E5-3930406DE9DC.png
    9786001B-4F67-486F-A9E5-3930406DE9DC.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 136

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Please stop srinking and expandings ads. Its making this site unusable on iphone. Im trying to read through a thread and the page jumps because an ad expanded, then it jumps again because of another ad or the previous ad shrunk.

This is terrible design and im gonna be forced to block ads in the future. Just have static place holders that do not change in size PLEASE!

Last edited by nando,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I get this every time I come here now. Unbearable. You can't back out and it's only here. I'm about to leave and never come back
It's actually gotten far worse for me as well. Often times I am redirected almost immediately when I enter the site

Reactions: Kafluke

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As advised, I'm posting my problem here. When visiting gbatemp on mobile (and only on mobile), I consistently get redirected to a popup that takes over my browser tab. I've included a screen shot of where it takes me, it's always the same site and happens so frequently it makes browsing on mobile a real endeavor for me. It won't let me go back and I have to close the tab, open a new tab, and go back to gbatemp. I only get it when I'm browsing forums, never on the homepage. I don't have to touch anything to trigger it, about 30 seconds after opening the page listing the posts (or in a post) it redirects me. I've tried 2 browsers (chrome and default browser) on 3 mobile devices (2 phones, 1 tablet, all Android) and the result is the same and it's been going on for a few months starting off doing it every so often to now it's nearly every time I'm on the site. After a while (usually between 3-7 times) it does stop temporarily, but it's a pain to have to close this popup and try again so many times just to view the site without interruption for a while.

I don't mind the other ads, they are necessary to keep gbatemp alive and I appreciate the site enough to whitelist it to help earn ad revenue. They aren't intrusive like this one sending me to an obvious scam and forcing me to close my tab and start over just to happen again and again. I love gbatemp, I visit the site most every day and It's a shame that 1 annoying ad is making it so difficult for me use the site on my phone.

I know I've gone on long enough, but the popup came 4 times trying to get to this forum so I could post my concern. I think the only reason I put up with it is because I've been a member here for years and love the site so it's worth it for me to put up with it so I can stay up to date on new Homebrew. If I was new to the site, after the third try I would have given up and possibly not come back and I think that's a real problem. Maybe it's just me that's getting them, but Im hoping that by voicing my problem, someone could look into this and shed a little light on the matter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190112-165204.png
    Screenshot_20190112-165204.png
    372.9 KB · Views: 140

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
As advised, I'm posting my problem here. When visiting gbatemp on mobile (and only on mobile), I consistently get redirected to a popup that takes over my browser tab. I've included a screen shot of where it takes me, it's always the same site and happens so frequently it makes browsing on mobile a real endeavor for me. It won't let me go back and I have to close the tab, open a new tab, and go back to gbatemp. I only get it when I'm browsing forums, never on the homepage. I don't have to touch anything to trigger it, about 30 seconds after opening the page listing the posts (or in a post) it redirects me. I've tried 2 browsers (chrome and default browser) on 3 mobile devices (2 phones, 1 tablet, all Android) and the result is the same and it's been going on for a few months starting off doing it every so often to now it's nearly every time I'm on the site. After a while (usually between 3-7 times) it does stop temporarily, but it's a pain to have to close this popup and try again so many times just to view the site without interruption for a while.

I don't mind the other ads, they are necessary to keep gbatemp alive and I appreciate the site enough to whitelist it to help earn ad revenue. They aren't intrusive like this one sending me to an obvious scam and forcing me to close my tab and start over just to happen again and again. I love gbatemp, I visit the site most every day and It's a shame that 1 annoying ad is making it so difficult for me use the site on my phone.

I know I've gone on long enough, but the popup came 4 times trying to get to this forum so I could post my concern. I think the only reason I put up with it is because I've been a member here for years and love the site so it's worth it for me to put up with it so I can stay up to date on new Homebrew. If I was new to the site, after the third try I would have given up and possibly not come back and I think that's a real problem. Maybe it's just me that's getting them, but Im hoping that by voicing my problem, someone could look into this and shed a little light on the matter.
thanks, this has been reported.
but what would be really useful is if you could copy/paste the URL of the ad here so we can forward it to the ad network.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu