Hacking New 3DS FlashCart - Sky3DS firmware 9.0

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are still tons of 4.5 or lower 3DS's out there, both used and new. I picked mine up on ebay fairly cheap. It had a noticable scratch on the outside of the case so it was cheaper. I would never allow that to happen to any of my consoles. My first purchase, usually at the same time as the console, is nerf armor for them. Anywho, they are available. Gateway will stay the king of flashcarts if this is the best that their competitors can do. All of the other existing companies already rely on GW to make their carts work as it is. Not to mention the kickass features that GW has hinted at releasing in the near future. If after this cart is released, someone creates a way to erase and reload the 10 games, I will probably buy one for my kid (and probably one for my collection as well). Not until then though.

e-fervent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Does any one knows where you can download the kernel or the mentioned disctool?

the kernel of sky3ds? on the official website,http://sky3ds.com/, plug & play, easy to use.
Q: Does it require special thing to do first before using SKY3DS?
A: Don't need to do any special thing, just drag and drop the downloaded ROMs in MicroSD card by the Disktool we provided, and enjoy it.
so, i think it don't need a kernel. isn't it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that Sonicx64 my Chinese is a bit iffy, especially as I have not used what little I had much in recent years, but I managed to get some stuff from that. I was hoping for some pictures of the internals and some more word on the write limits but something is better than nothing.

Assuming it is correct then "copies from the microSD to internal memory" is what it is doing. That is an odd way of doing things but if it needs to do that then so be it.

By the way do you have any good Chinese language sites? Most of the ones I used to use seem to have died (yyjoy and some of the tgbus subdomains) so I am mainly left with tgbus and ndsbbs, I am more interested in ROM hacking and ROM hacking tools but homebrew and general hacks are also something I am interested in. I know a lot of them also have ROMs so probably best not to link those here.

Sonicx64

任豚好騙!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not Chinese, but a foreigner living and studying in China, I'll give a basic translation of the article.

SKY3DS Flashcard Function Test, Demonstration video

Before we reported about a flashcard known as "SKY3DS", according to the video they published, they demonstrated that it could play copied games on the newest 9.X firmware. Now we have a copy of this cartridge, and are going to run a few tests.

SKY3DS's exterior is the same as a normal 3DS cartridge with very little differences. At the top of the cart there is a TF cart slot, a small button and an indicator light. The TF card slot uses a TF card to load games. The button is used when selecting games, the indicator light sticks out of the cartridge, the flashing blue light points out that the game is being changed.

People paying close attention to this product know, SKY3DS at the present time cannot break through region locking. We took this card, with the contents containing "Super Mario 3D Land", "Animal Crossing: New Leaf", and more, but all were USA roms. A Japanese 3DS had no way to read or use this card. As for the region locking, if it is due to the card itself or the TF card's content of games, for now we have no way to know, we are guessing it is the latter.

System restrictions aside, after undergoing some testing, SKY3DS can really support the latest 9.2 firmware and every other firmware out there, furthermore there is no need to hack or do any work, it is plug-and-play. When switching games, you just need to press the button on the card, the blue light will begin to shine, it will flicker for awhile, and at the same time the game on the 3DS will begin to change, and you can start the game. Regarding save files all functionality is normal.

At the present time SKY3DS games cannot be directly copy and pasted into the TF card just using a PC. But rather by means of a special computer program that puts the copied games into the TF card. A short while ago we connected the TF card used by the special program onto the PC, there was no way to look inside the card, and rather it said that the card needed to be formatted in order to work, because there were no programs that were compatible with it. Currently we have no way to get into the games input operations, no way to know how the games get written on to the card, as for the amount of the games that can be loaded, we aren't sure if there is a way to replace the games and we are currently looking into this, in the future we will add more to this topic. Please keep tuned.

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not Chinese, but a foreigner living and studying in China, I'll give a basic translation of the article.

At the present time SKY3DS games cannot be directly copy and pasted into the TF card just using a PC. But rather by means of a special computer program that puts the copied games into the TF card. A short while ago we connected the TF card used by the special program onto the PC, there was no way to look inside the card, and rather it said that the card needed to be formatted in order to work, because there were no programs that were compatible with it. Currently we have no way to get into the games input operations, no way to know how the games get written on to the card, as for the amount of the games that can be loaded, we aren't sure if there is a way to replace the games and we are currently looking into this, in the future we will add more to this topic. Please keep tuned.

thx for translation, this part could explain the 10 games limit

Aman27deep

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
India
if people buy into this crap then it wont help anyone. #drmgate :D

Agreed. This is not the future at all.

I'll wait and see the scene for 3-4 months before choosing a 4.5 old 3DS XL or some new cart. If the stars align, maybe the Gateway team will do reverse engineering and release a new similar mechanics cart which allows more games (50 minimum) / or unlimited games.

50 is a decent number, cause I am sure AT THIS POINT, there are not more than 20 games I want to play. Till the end of the cycle 30 more is a decent number.

Reactions: Margen67

FrankVVV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Agreed. This is not the future at all.

I'll wait and see the scene for 3-4 months before choosing a 4.5 old 3DS XL or some new cart. If the stars align, maybe the Gateway team will do reverse engineering and release a new similar mechanics cart which allows more games (50 minimum) / or unlimited games.

50 is a decent number, cause I am sure AT THIS POINT, there are not more than 20 games I want to play. Till the end of the cycle 30 more is a decent number.

I'm sure that I want to play more than 50 games (eshop included) on my 3DS XL. But I'm also sure I WILL NOT HAVE THE TIME!!!!! :(

NyaTaku

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, signed up just to post this.

I don't see why people are angry over the 10 game limit. I don't have any specific flash-cart knowledge but Sky3DS still amounts to $10/game? I do think that the manufacturer should provide greater capacity if they had the ability to do so but shouldn't we be focusing on the fact that someone has finally found a way to play 3DS roms on newer firmware?

Just my two cents!

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France

I don't see why people are angry over the 10 game limit. I don't have any specific flash-cart knowledge but Sky3DS still amounts to $10/game? I do think that the manufacturer should provide greater capacity if they had the ability to do so but shouldn't we be focusing on the fact that someone has finally found a way to play 3DS roms on newer firmware?

Just my two cents!
They're just too greedy. Most didn't even buy one retail game

TJHeartnote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well maybe somebody with a lot of time on their hands a sky3ds and a r4 save dongle might crack it. till then i'll wait till that or something similar happens.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States

Just my two cents!

People aren't angry over the limit it self, but the fact that you have to buy a new flashcart if you want to change any of the games you installed. Once you use up all 10, that's it. You can't swap any out for new games. There's a lot of stupid people online willing to throw money at just about anything, but I have a feeling that if this limit holds true, these new flashcarts might be end up being a big flop.

If they end up charging prices as high as $90+ for one with this kind of limitation, they are f**king insane and deserve to go out of business. I can see this being acceptable for something that costs between $20 and $40. But for something that you put only 10 games on and your stuck with the 10 you chose to install forever... Hell no! I won't touch these flashcarts with a 10 foot pole.

These shouldn't even be called flashcarts. Flashcarts implies you can use them repeatedly and change out games like all previous ones are known for.

These are more like chinease ripoff carts that come bundled with 10 illegal copies of games you can never change out.

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yep,the 10 games limit is a major disappointment,the greed is huge in this one,skipping this if it costs more than 10$

Will wait for a proper clone that supports unlimited.

viewsat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The ten game limit is only speculation at this time concerning rewriteablity aspects, everyone needs to relax until that is actually proven to be the case. Still I would buy it even with that limitation if the price was right if only for the sake of having ten of my games on one card and not having to carry the carts around with me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc