• Start date
  • Views 1,332
  • Replies 11
D

Deleted User

OP
I was wondering if I could get some help on oc'ing my cpu

Here are my specs

Intel Core i5-6600k SkyLake 3.5GHz LGA 1151 with a Custom red Corsair H60 watercooler,MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X Overclocked,16gb of ram,1 tb hdd with a toshiba 120gb ssd,ASUS Z170I Gaming itx motherboard,Corsair 750 Watt PSU semi modular.Also has 5 fans

Any ideas on how much I could push?

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you really need too? depends on the game i guess if like me I have an I3-6100 (3.7ghz) an intel HD 530 6gb ram it can run Xenoverse 2 no prob Dolphin 5.0 (all games 60fps) PPSSPP PCSX2 and prety much every game i threw at it ran like a charm

D

Deleted User

OP
do you really need too? depends on the game i guess if like me I have an I3-6100 (3.7ghz) an intel HD 530 6gb ram it can run Xenoverse 2 no prob Dolphin 5.0 (all games 60fps) PPSSPP PCSX2 and prety much every game i threw at it ran like a charm
It's a long story.The GPU I got was already overclocked,then I accidentally updated my gpu's drivers and it reset the overclock.So i learned how to reclock it with afterburner in a short amount of time.So I did some reasearch and found out that if you oc your CPU you can push more on the gpu's core clock.So here I am being a framerate whore because I reset my drivers.

D

Deleted User

OP
try setting about 4.6ghz @ 1.36v vcore
Just set that with no issues.Now how do I figure out how many ghz I'm running? I also set my duel channel ddr4 2400 16gb ram to 2660 mhz.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

OP
Run CPU-Z.
Thanks and I figured it out.You multiply the 46x by 100 to get the 4.6ghz correct? You also have to multiply your ram by 2 if you have ddr4 with duel channel I think.Anyways I'm pretty shure I got it now.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Overclocking through the multiplier is the only stable way to overclock with Intel. You can increase the clock frequency, but anything over 105Mhz is going to be unstable, and even that 5Mhz extra isn't worth it when turning up the multiplier gains 100Mhz per level.

Best to keep it simple - multiplier and voltage, and through trial and error finding the sweet spot for your particular chip (mileage will vary even with multiple samples of the same processor).

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Overclocking through the multiplier is the only stable way to overclock with Intel. You can increase the clock frequency, but anything over 105Mhz is going to be unstable, and even that 5Mhz extra isn't worth it when turning up the multiplier gains 100Mhz per level.

Untrue since skylake. BCLK is not tied to dmi and pcie bus anymore, so you are free to tamper with it without making the system unstable. Which is why you can overclock non K series skylake and onwards on certain mothersboards that let you adjust the bclk with non K processors.

Still easier just to use the mulitiplier on K series, but it's not true that it's the only stable way to do it.

Last edited by Armadillo,
Reactions: Originality
D

Deleted User

OP
Sorry to repump this thread guys,but could I push to 48 cores? I think I could since I have 5 fans and my CPU is liquid cooled.I have my voltage at 1.345 and I left my cores at 46.Im not shure if ill have enough voltage though but it is a 750watt afterall.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could try, skylake doesn't typically get that high though
it needs a pretty high voltage around 1.45v (I really do not suggest this)

D

Deleted User

OP
You could try, skylake doesn't typically get that high though
it needs a pretty high voltage around 1.45v (I really do not suggest this)
Would it be possible to just try 48 cores on 1.360v,and if that don't work just revert back to what I had without a problem if I stay at a stable voltage? I don't plan to go past 1.360v so if it requires more to boot up I'll just stick to what I have,I'm just not shure if the cores are safe to revert back or not if I stick to 1.360v.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter