PS1/2 Need some info on chips and Swap Disks

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Since the vast majority of games just suck in this day and age, I felt like getting out my PS2 and trying to make it able to run backups once again. Since it's the last model (or one of the latest) FreeMCBoot doesn't quite support it because of the different drivers for the disk reader apparently, so looked for alternatives. My model is SCPH-90004 for reference. Now, I found two things that are available and I can buy from someplace that's not ebay or something similar.

First one is a chip named "Mars Pro GM-816HD". It seems to offer some nice things like region-free, is the cheapest option and supports homebrew, so I have a few questions...
- Is this one chip reliable or it's just a knock-off or something? No experience whatsoever on this, so just trying to make sure.
- How do I go about installing it? I have a guide for installing a different chip, but do all chips install the exact same way? This one is the soldering-kind.
- How much better is it compared to Swap Magic Disks?

Which brings me to the other option, SMDs. I found three different ones, all being version 3.8, so here are the things I wanna ask about...
- Does version 3.8 support my model?
- Do SMDs only allow you to play backups instead of homebrew as well?
- How do you actually use them past the just swapping part? I see there are two disks and all...
- Does it let you bypass region-lock without any exceptions? There are some Japan-only games I'm interested in...
- Can you actually play PS2 games from a CD or it has to be DVD?
- Does it also allow playing backups of PS1 games?
- What's the "slide tool" and is it required? I see it stated as mandatory to either have that or the Magic Swap Pro, but seeing how the MSP is, it's the same as the old trick with the toothpicks...

Any help on this is appreciated, hope someone can answer these for me sometime soon, really wanna get back into playing PS2 games!

PS: The three different SMDs I found are these three 1, 2, 3, which one should I be getting out of the three?

Last edited by ThoD,

henkp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If your soldering skills are up to par, go for the mars. I installed a couple back in the days and the benefit of RF and nót having to swap (which is why you need the slide tool as well, to force the tray open without having the ps2 'know' the tray is open) is absolutely worth it. Find a guide specific for your Mars ánd PS2 revision though, because the soldering points aren't always the same.

Last edited by henkp,

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If your soldering skills are up to par, go for the mars. I installed a couple back in the days and the benefit of RF and nót having to swap (which is why you need the slide tool as well, to force the tray open without having the ps2 'know' the tray is open) is absolutely worth it. Find a guide specific for your Mars ánd PS2 revision though, because the soldering points aren't always the same.
It's not a matter of skills whatsoever, I'm an electronics engineer, of course I'm well above average at soldering skills and the like, just need some answers to what I asked so I can decide because I don't want to get something only to regret it. The guide is available on that page I listed, so it's not an issue really. However, I honestly don't mind just using the old toothpick trick to make the system think the lid is closed, it's literally two points you have to make sure are pressed and that's all...

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since the vast majority of games just suck in this day and age, I felt like getting out my PS2 and trying to make it able to run backups once again. Since it's the last model (or one of the latest) FreeMCBoot doesn't quite support it because of the different drivers for the disk reader apparently, so looked for alternatives. My model is SCPH-90004 for reference. Now, I found two things that are available and I can buy from someplace that's not ebay or something similar.

First one is a chip named "Mars Pro GM-816HD". It seems to offer some nice things like region-free, is the cheapest option and supports homebrew, so I have a few questions...
- Is this one chip reliable or it's just a knock-off or something? No experience whatsoever on this, so just trying to make sure.
- How do I go about installing it? I have a guide for installing a different chip, but do all chips install the exact same way? This one is the soldering-kind.
- How much better is it compared to Swap Magic Disks?

- Reliable chip.
- Need guide for that specific chip and board.
- You don't have to swap, can play ps1 games & can boot the few dual layer games that are on ps2, that's basically the only advantages, so depends how much you want ps1, how much the few dual layer games mean to you and if you mind swapping or not
Which brings me to the other option, SMDs. I found three different ones, all being version 3.8, so here are the things I wanna ask about...
- Does version 3.8 support my model?
- Do SMDs only allow you to play backups instead of homebrew as well?
- How do you actually use them past the just swapping part? I see there are two disks and all...
- Does it let you bypass region-lock without any exceptions? There are some Japan-only games I'm interested in...
- Can you actually play PS2 games from a CD or it has to be DVD?
- Does it also allow playing backups of PS1 games?
- What's the "slide tool" and is it required? I see it stated as mandatory to either have that or the Magic Swap Pro, but seeing how the MSP is, it's the same as the old trick with the toothpicks...

- As far as I aware, yes.
- Can play homebrew as well. Swap magic can launch an .elf file from usb.
- You don't use them once you swap. One disc is for cd games, one is for dvd.
- Swap magic can't play dual layer games, so unless it's one of the few dual layer games on ps2, should be fine.
- Both, one disc is for cd games, other for dvd.
- No, no ps1.
- Slide tool is for fat ps2's. It's to let you hook the release bar and pop the tray open to swap without the ps2 knowing. It's not needed, you can use anything to open the tray, just slide tools make it a little easier.

PS: The three different SMDs I found are these three 1, 2, 3, which one should I be getting out of the three?

1. Comes with plastic things to block the lid sensors on slim ps2.
2. Comes with slide tool for fat ps2's
3. Discs only.

Last edited by Armadillo,
Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
- Reliable chip.
- Need guide for that specific chip and board.
- You don't have to swap, can play ps1 games & can boot the few dual layer games that are on ps2, that's basically the only advantages, so depends how much you want ps1, how much the few dual layer games mean to you and if you mind swapping or not

- As far as I aware, yes.
- Can play homebrew as well. Swap magic can launch an .elf file from usb.
- You don't use them once you swap. One disc is for cd games, one is for dvd.
- Swap magic can't play dual layer games, so unless it's one of the few dual layer games on ps2, should be fine.
- Both, one disc is for cd games, other for dvd.
- No, no ps1.
- Slide tool is for fat ps2's. It's to let you hook the release bar and pop the tray open to swap without the ps2 knowing. It's not needed, you can use anything to open the tray, just slide tools make it a little easier.

1. Comes with plastic things to block the lid sensors on slim ps2.
2. Comes with slide tool for fat ps2's
3. Discs only.
Thanks for the replies, I'm leaning towards SMD since I can just use my PSP to play PSx or just emulate them on PC, so besides that I don't lose much by not having a chip, but what exactly are the dual-layer games you are talking about? If it's just 10 or so games, I can just find those retail, but if it's more I may go for the chip... just it's been very humid here lately and would rather not work with sensitive boards and soldering when it's like this...

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies, I'm leaning towards SMD since I can just use my PSP to play PSx or just emulate them on PC, so besides that I don't lose much by not having a chip, but what exactly are the dual-layer games you are talking about? If it's just 10 or so games, I can just find those retail, but if it's more I may go for the chip... just it's been very humid here lately and would rather not work with sensitive boards and soldering when it's like this...

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3Wkn...o/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_DVD-9_games.html

That's about the only list that still exists showing dvd9 games, not sure how up to date it is anymore as wikipedia took the original list down :(.

Some can be worked around as some games have dvd5 conversions (downsampled moves, languages removed or split to two discs). God of war 2 for example has a kit to split it across two dvd5, so swap magic would play it. You would have to search/check that on a game to game basis though, don't think there is a list anywhere showing if the game has an available dvd5 conversion.

Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3Wkn...o/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_DVD-9_games.html

That's about the only list that still exists showing dvd9 games, not sure how up to date it is anymore as wikipedia took the original list down :(.

Some can be worked around as some games have dvd5 conversions (downsampled moves, languages removed or split to two discs). God of war 2 for example has a kit to split it across two dvd5, so swap magic would play it. You would have to search/check that on a game to game basis though, don't think there is a list anywhere showing if the game has an available dvd5 conversion.
Welp, main game I want is on that list (GT4)...:( Where can I find said kit to try and split it?

EDIT: Yakuza 2 too and plenty others...

Last edited by ThoD,

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=367

GT4 you lose the movies iirc. Seems no one ever made a split across two discs for that one.
No movies I can handle since I just want the fun racing and great music, just tired of emulating it because it's a weird game that spikes or plummets randomly every so often out of nowhere and my PS2 disk of it broke, so yeah...

Thanks for all the help! Will look into things myself from here on out going with what you linked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s