Need experts with traffic tickets / caltrans

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need people who are experts, no speculation please unless you know of an instance where it happened to you.

So the other day I was commuting from San Diego to some other place. When went from like 70 mph to like 10 mph because caltrans was working and they closed off all but one lane.

After about 15 minutes of 10mph traffic for almost 3-4 miles, not a single worker was in sight and we were approaching the end so the lanes were going to open up again. I was mad because one, we nearly got into an accident for a sudden stop, two because it delayed the trip. So I opened up the car door and smacked one of the cones down... frustration has been vented.

Out of nowhere, one of the caltrans guys come and harass me using the off limits lane. I looked to the left and he is yelling at me (I guess I deserved it).

So my question is, does he have the authority to give me a ticket or can he some way get me a ticket? I didn't get pulled over and I would for sure guess that I would have to get pulled over to get a ticket (it's not one of those tickets you can get in the mail, a corresponding officer would have to cite it).

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Experts? I don't think it takes a rocket surgeon to know you can be fined/ticketed for malicious destruction of city/county/state/private property... No, the caltrans guy cannot write you a ticket. He can, however, report your vehicle/license plate to the authorities. It is then up to them to investigate it.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that and it was my girlfriends car lol.

But even if he got the license plate, reported to authorities (because I did see him talking on the radio), if I didn't get pulled over that day (and there was a cop at the end of the construction), can I still get a ticket?

I know with some traffic violations, a responding officer has to issue the ticket. How much do I owe my girlfriend if we do get a ticket? Can I ignore the ticket or say that what the caltrans guy said was inaccurate?

--

This incident happened 3 days ago and it has been torturing me on whether or not I'm going to get a ticket. How long do they take to come in the mail?

He obviously had the last laugh

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
But even if he got the license plate, reported to authorities (because I did see him talking on the radio), if I didn't get pulled over that day (and there was a cop at the end of the construction), can I still get a ticket?

If there is proof and they have it, then I think they can. For instance, many busy intersections have cameras that snapshot people running red lights, and people do get ticketed for that.

Reactions: 1 person

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
they dont need evidence

a state employee witnessed vandalism on state property

Maybe that's how it works in NY, but not anywhere I have lived. A state employee has no more authority than the Dunkin' Donuts clerk down the street, unless we are talking about state appointed authorities, like Police and Highway Patrol.

Reactions: 1 person

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cone had no damage, left no visible damages on the car (since it's their fault we were going so slow), the make of the car can't normally unlock the door or open the door while vehicle is in motion - random luck that it was able to this time.

There is absolutely no evidence that a vandalism was taken place; matter of fact, it's very convincing that it was impossible for me to do it. A cone knocked over random things can happen to do that and impossible to tie it to me.

The biggest thing going is that I posted this on this forum, unless anyone here is a caltrans employee who can link me to this case (which would costs thousands to hold into court) I think I'm fine.

---
While I do not want to doubt you Joe, but can you give me one instance where I can get a ticket out of it?

---

I can understand if they called in an officer who settled it on the day, it could be held up as a citation

The purpose of this thread is to find peace.... whether or not I'm going to have to pay a ticket. While I most certainly can afford it, I don't care whether or not I get one. It's to find certainty of the situation.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say you shouldn't be driving anymore until you go to road rage school.

It was very little rage and more compulsion... if you haven't seen I'm a bit batshit crazy.

---

Above all else, if you knew logically how much their stunt did, you would understand any anger I may have received. They closed 2 lanes for about 4 miles and there was no construction going on. It was most likely left over night because no one decided to pick the cones up (as we do have construction signs that say 10:00PM - 5:00 AM). So I helped them get motivation. That was the compulsion I had, a balance, you slack off so take the slap on your wrist.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol