Hacking NDSSFC/CATSFC revival

What sort of additional hotkeys do you want?

• Total voters

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To keep with your food analogy, it would be like trying to eat spaghetti when you're given only one spaghetto and the start and end of that spaghetto refers to the location of two others in GPS coordinates, and the others refer to more, and so on. So you have to start reassembling spaghetti into your plate to start eating, and the coordinates don't make sense like "the next spaghetto is 2 blocks east, upstairs" does.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow...now i'm hungry, thanks for explaining it to me.;) On another note, does anyone know why, the creator of the EMU won't share the code?

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow...now i'm hungry, thanks for explaining it to me.;) On another note, does anyone know why, the creator of the EMU won't share the code?

Nope, nobody's been able to get in contact with them yet (language issues?) but they're legally obligated if it means anything and it's in their best interest as DSTWO sellers.

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Once again: China, legally obligated? Hold on while I laugh.
Yeah - and then add the fact that old nitendo is trying to block out dstwo with various updates for some odd legal reason as well...

Anyay - if somebody would start collecting names for a petition I would totally sign it.

/dACE

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah - and then add the fact that old nitendo is trying to block out dstwo with various updates for some odd legal reason as well...

Anyay - if somebody would start collecting names for a petition I would totally sign it.

/dACE
There should be no need for a petition, unless you really want to show the extent of support for NDSGBA updates. Just be like "You're doing nothing with the code, Nebuleon has been doing stuff with NDSSFC, here's proof. NDSGBA source please."

EDIT: PLEASE MOVE THE GBA-SPECIFIC DISCUSSION TO THE NEW THREAD, Supercard / NDSGBA: The community's wishes. THANKS.

The discussion about the Chinese translation for CATSFC can stay here.

FireValk01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a known problem of this getting stuck on the load screen when you start catsfc?
more often than not this happens to me.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is there a known problem of this getting stuck on the load screen when you start catsfc?
more often than not this happens to me.
No, but I can investigate this with you.

* Are you using a custom menu such as BAGPlug or iMenu?
* What is the location and file size (e.g. 2,202,112 bytes) of CATSFC.PLG on your microSD card relative to the root?
* What is the location of the CATSFC system folder on your microSD card relative to the root?
* How many files does (CATSFC system folder)/SYSTEM/GUI contain on your microSD card?
* After selecting the plugin, what colour of screen(s) do you get? Normally you should get white, then a short black one, then a "Loading..." screen with a SNES controller, then the GUI with 9 options.
* Do you get a white-text-on-black error screen?
* When you last formatted your card, did you use the FAT32 file system and the Panasonic SD Formatter with the size adjustment option set? (On Linux, the question becomes: When creating your FAT32 partition, did you start the partition 1 megabyte late?)

FireValk01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well as far as i know im just using the standard scds2 menu.
the size of the .plg appears to only be 2,195,456 bytes
catsfc folder is in root
the GUI folder has 36 files
when i click on the plugin it goes to the loading screen with snes controller as you described but will stay there most of the time.
and i dont even remember the last time i formatted the card. but i know i didnt use the panasonic sd formatter. i just know its fat32

edit: just tried 1.31 and it works fine. i guess the 1.3 file i had was messed up.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't have the most recent version installed, or it cut off before the end of the transfer to your microSD card. The plugin file should be 2,202,112 bytes for version 1.31.

FireValk01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't have the most recent version installed, or it cut off before the end of the transfer to your microSD card. The plugin file should be 2,202,112 bytes for version 1.31.

thanks a bunch. btw really loving it all of the updates. it is enjoyable now lol.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have question about the translation.
Can I add an new line (i.e. Enter) in a sentence to make it look better on screen or do I have to use \n or something for that or do I just add spaces?
I'll just add spaces for now, but to keep track it would be more convenient to have enters or \n's.
Might not be necessary anyway.
Oh wait, it is.

Anyway here's the new translation.
Does require further testing to see if the spacing and new lines worked out properly and are properly aligned.

Tried to commit language.msg file in github, it didn't work.

Attachments

• CATSFC_Dutch_translation.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 269

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have question about the translation.
Can I add an new line (i.e. Enter) in a sentence to make it look better on screen or do I have to use \n or something for that or do I just add spaces?
I'll just add spaces for now, but to keep track it would be more convenient to have enters or \n's.
Might not be necessary anyway.
Oh wait, it is.

Anyway here's the new translation.
Does require further testing to see if the spacing and new lines worked out properly and are properly aligned.

Tried to commit language.msg file in github, it didn't work.
Only one message is too long now, and that's this one:
Code:
#MSG_HOTKEY_FULL_SCREEN_TOGGLE
Schakel naar volledig scherm
If you set buttons for that hotkey, the text overlaps the button display, only for the 'm' of 'scherm'. Maybe what I should do is start the messages a bit more to the left instead to provide more space. What do you think?

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Only one message is too long now, and that's this one:
Code:
#MSG_HOTKEY_FULL_SCREEN_TOGGLE
Schakel naar volledig scherm
If you set buttons for that hotkey, the text overlaps the button display, only for the 'm' of 'scherm'. Maybe what I should do is start the messages a bit more to the left instead to provide more space. What do you think?
Nah, that isn't necessary, I can change it to fit. On second thought it think that would be nicer.
Also, I just realized that I can test everything myself, so I'll be posting a new one soon enough.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tested it and everything should work fine now, except for the overlap, which would indeed be nicer if the messages started a bit more to the left.
If you decide to not move the start of the messages to left, you can just cut out the word "naar" in the translation (as in:"Schakel naar volledig scherm").
Attached is the full language.msg file (but with .txt extension since you can't upload .msg here).

Attachments

• language.txt
    42.7 KB · Views: 259

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@Nebuleon: The improved nesDS emulator has an additional display mode to display the cropped pixels on the second screen. Would it be possible to adapt this display mode for NEBSFC?

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Nebuleon: The improved nesDS emulator has an additional display mode to display the cropped pixels on the second screen. Would it be possible to adapt this display mode for NEBSFC?
No, at least not without halving the frame rate from what it is now. I have to send 192 lines for each screen, upper and lower, even if the lower screen has only 32 lines used.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's something that might clear things up and also explain why 2 frameskip is needed right now.

timing.png

During every frame (16.67 milliseconds), emulation is carried out for that frame, then the image is rendered, then the sound. The image takes very little time to generate, but 23 milliseconds to send - which is more than 1 frame time. Controls are synchronised after that, in a queue of requests to the DS. (The cart bus time is to scale; the CPU time might not be, like early frames and late frames)

Exhibit A: Bad synchronisation at frameskip 1
The above picture is at frameskip 2. At frameskip 1, the time it takes to send the image and the sound means that, sometimes, the controls are skipped because another image is ready at that exact moment. (Move the second large green rectangle 1 frame to the left in your head)

If that happens, controls are not updated until the cart bus starts to desynchronise again. Frameskip 2 fixes this.

Exhibit B: Copying missing pixels to the bottom screen
To carry out an update to the bottom screen, tack an additional 23 milliseconds to send the bottom screen, even if only 1/6 of it is used. That means the cart bus becomes Image Sound Controls Image Sound Controls for 50 milliseconds. By that time, it's possible that the controls are bad because an image is ready at that exact moment. So you'd need frameskip 3 at that point, and the image would update in steps: up first, bottom next, up next, bottom next, not all at once. That would get weird rather fast, too.

The Nintendo DS, if using its hardware acceleration like SNEmulDS and nesDS, can start drawing the bottom screen from the same graphics within the same frame. This is much better, but unfortunately that method is unavailable when coding on the DSTwo's MIPS processor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1