Hardware NAND Flash Dump (3DS)

Arnold0

Trophies
Website
arnold0.com
XP
Country
France
I suggest you not to do so... Especialy if you already have a XL with this mod.
Doing it on a 3DS is possible (but hard, you need to remove the mobo) but for me it turned into destruction... At first it was working fine (I just broke the cammera connector because I did press the mobo on the table while soldering and the connector turned out to be impossible to close and then broke) but a week later it stopped working (Detected in windows but couldn't dump). Trying to use bigger wires turned out to be impossible and I broke many things that I had to replace.

Now the case of this 3DS is "damaged" and I can't do anything about it. At least it still works fine (Only the camera still not working, because I can't change the broken connector on the mobo).
URL]

Yes the 3DS runs retail cards fine even if this looks pretty bad

shinonome

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
For someone who try to make this mod I suggest to use a top right corner (red marked) for better CLK wire routing. There are enough space even for a thick cable like mine

Image1.jpg Image2.jpg Image3.jpg

can Nintendo block this nand read/write feature in newer updates?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
can Nintendo block this nand read/write feature in newer updates?

Generally there are two types of protections available
1) Something like efuses. IBM holds most of the patents here so I doubt you will be seeing them on ARM gear any time soon.
2) If a write lock is available as part of the chip somewhere. Given what they have already done you would have thought they would have also changed this.

The third option is if there is another writable section in the 3DS that can somehow be used to check, though technically this kind of what the efuses go into. This would have to be somewhere in the boot sequence or at least somewhere that can hook into the system and both are not likely.

The short version is there were things Nintendo could have done at the hardware design stage, by the looks of everything that has happened thus far Nintendo is either holding back one last card in case of a crazy hack or has not done anything that would truly frustrate it.

Proansta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, can you write to nand "safely" too? For example, I update to the last version (7.x) and if there's a new exploit for 6.3, could I grab my backed up version and flash it without it bricking?
And could I use the alternative CLK without desoldering those legs?

inuyasha555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, can you write to nand "safely" too? For example, I update to the last version (7.x) and if there's a new exploit for 6.3, could I grab my backed up version and flash it without it bricking?
And could I use the alternative CLK without desoldering those legs?

That's exactly what it's for yes. It's probably a waste though, unless Nintendo found some secret exploit in 6.3, it still exists in 7.0.

The only alternate is on the other side of the board.

corim123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to remove the motherboard makes this super simple. It's a small point but anybody with solder experience can do it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no need to remove it?
If you don't remove the mother board, you desolder the cartridge slot?
I don't want to remove/re-solder the slot to prevent any card insert/remove alignment problem.

I have no equipment to open/cut/solder mine yet, but I think I'll remove the mother board and solder on the other side.
I would like to put a permanent plug inside, I'm hesitating between two plugs types:

- S004 and P004
cat-connecteurs-males-droits-pour-circuits-imprimes-855.jpg
cat-connecteurs-femelles-pour-circuits-imprimes-856.jpg
(yeah the picture is 3pin only)
Might be a little big. I need to open the 3DS to see how much space is available and where to cut the case.
Advantage is you can't connect it in reverse.

- MH100 + FH105Z (or FH136Z if you want to mod more consoles)
cdci-connecteur-he14-mh100-4457.jpg
cdci-connecteur-fh105z-14975.jpg
<-- I think I'll go with this method for Normal 3DS, hidden behind the battery cover.

Or the same CDAudio connector used in the youtube video tutorial. The shop doesn't have them.

Or someone in France willing to do it for me?

dc740

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
OK
dont plug it to PC, turn on 3DS - screen must display blue screen with error message
BOOTROM 8046
ERRCODE: 00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000002 00000000

now plug to PC
why? why would it go into blue screen if you just extend the conectors to disconnected SD card pads? Are you sure you are not doing something wrong? Like a short-cirtuit.

Is it confirmed that everyone that it gives a blue screen? When? after, or before you plug it?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
dont plug it to PC, turn on 3DS
should be:
Plug your SD card in your external SD Card reader, don't plug the SD Card reader to PC, turn on 3DS - blue screen display - Now plug the SD card reader on PC.

It should not display the blue screen if you don't insert the 3DS's soldered pins into the SD-to-usb adapter.

dc740

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
should be:
Plug your SD card in your external SD Card reader, don't plug the SD Card reader to PC, turn on 3DS - blue screen display - Now plug the SD card reader on PC.

It should not display the blue screen if you don't insert the 3DS's soldered pins into the SD-to-usb adapter.
I have an internal SD card reader. Does anyone know of any alternative? I don't want to buy an external reader.

SanchezTG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, I know this thread doesn't get much attention but I need some help.

I tried to dump the NAND from my 3DS a lot of times. Id always end up with the cable soldered to the CLK point coming loose. I close my 3DS and everything would work fine but I couldnt dump. So I tried again a few times. No success.

On my final try, I tied to clean up some excess solder by using a toothbrush. Worst idea I had. the solder splattered everywhere and I had a mess to clean up. I managed to get a lot of it off. The problem is that now my 3DS shows thiss error on boot

BOOTROM 8046
ERRCODE: 00F800EF
FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000022 00000000

Someone with experience please advice.

Proansta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, I know this thread doesn't get much attention but I need some help.

I tried to dump the NAND from my 3DS a lot of times. Id always end up with the cable soldered to the CLK point coming loose. I close my 3DS and everything would work fine but I couldnt dump. So I tried again a few times. No success.

On my final try, I tied to clean up some excess solder by using a toothbrush. Worst idea I had. the solder splattered everywhere and I had a mess to clean up. I managed to get a lot of it off. The problem is that now my 3DS shows thiss error on boot

BOOTROM 8046
ERRCODE: 00F800EF
FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000022 00000000

Someone with experience please advice.

Seems like something is not connected properly or short-circuited, I'm sure that error pops up when bootrom can't access the nand at all. (ex. 3ds bricked by 2.0b2 gateway display that error I'm sure)
Make sure everything is clean, shake the 3ds, see if there is any solder left in the motherboard

matt123337

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would anyone in North America (preferably Canada as that's where I am from) be able to install a USB-style mod (like gamesquest1's picture) in my 3ds for me? I'm not the best at soldering and I'm paranoid I'd mess something up doing the CLK point.

dc740

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
wow. I've done a quite few DIY proyects, but getting this mod was damn hard. The 3DS just doesn't have enough space and there are MANY ribbons to remove when you take out the mobo. I didn't break anything, all solder points seems to be OK. I actually modded it to be able to connect DAT1, DAT2, and DAT3 too. But it was a PITA. I wouldn't do that again. DAT0 is more than enough :P

I have a small problem now. I get the blue screen as expected, but the SD card reader never shows up in my PC (I'm a linux user). It seems like it's not recognized by the system when I connect the 3DS. It works fine with other SD cards. Is this a common problem? Should I buy a different reader to try again? (these are very cheap)
I'm only connecting CMD, DAT0, CLK and GND. I also tried adding DAT1-2-3, but the result is always the same.

Arnold0, about the camera thing... Yes, the ribbon is very hard to connect. I tried several times. I thought it was broken because it was impossible to close, but it turns out that I actually had to OPEN it wide first, then place the ribbon, and then close it.Another way that works is just keep pushing the ribbon until the connector closes itself, but it's very hard and I almost break the ribbon by doing so. I know because it took me a few tries to get the camera working again. I thought it was broken too.

UPDATE: I didn't have an incompatible reader, the SD card adapter was broken. Everything else was ok and now it works.

L. Chagas

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Have been around GBAtemp since DSLite launch... Never felt like posting, but now I feel I can contribute in something by uploading as many dumps of as many different system versions I could.

-->Have a 2.2.0-0u. (in fact I bought one for dumping)
-->Just did all my soldering...
-->Will dump and upload
-->Will take some pictures when I get home, I'm currently at work.

I have Castlevania wich I pretend to use to upgrade to 4.5 and dump also. wich steps should I take to gradually update it (I think that as many system versions we could have the better)

I have Street Fighter IV 3D, Castlevania Mirror of Fate, Etrian Odissey IV, PokemonY and Rune Factory 4.

Took some pictures with my other 3ds, they are not clear but you can see my settup... I went on with dupont female on the console and dupont males on the sd card adapter:
HNI_0033.JPGHNI_0035.JPGHNI_0032.JPGHNI_0038.JPGHNI_0037.JPGHNI_0040.JPGHNI_0031.JPG

My question is, I insert the adapter on the sd card reader turn it up and the blue screen comes, but when I conect the sd card reader on my computer no disk shows up. any clues on what could be happening? I used the clk under the lcd.

Attachments

• HNI_0036.JPG
    HNI_0036.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,268
Reactions: Maximus1001

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1