Not open for further replies.

Kentoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
Kentoss said:
This feature does not make OS X better because if OS X was really the better than Windows it wouldn't need to emulate or dual-boot Windows to get your general tasks done. In a typical environment, workflow is key. Having to boot into 2 operating systems simultaneously (or switching between the two, which is even worse) is not only insane to be required to do, but also doesn't make sense if you're saying that OS X is already a better machine. Using Windows on a Mac is like having a prosthetic limb replacement to fix what you're missing.

Except I don't have to dual-boot Windows to get my general tasks done. It's mainly for corner cases in which a piece of software in a niche category has no OSX equivalent (WinHIIP and Quix for example, to transfer ISOs to PS2/Xbox hdds). Neither of those applications requires a VM for functionality, and thus its as simple as running them as a normal OSX binary (via wine with system hooks). There is no alteration to my work-flow, making your point completely irrelevant (it was largely based on incorrect assumptions anyways).

The argument that VMs interfere with one's work-flow to the degree of "insanity" is quite insane itself. It's as simple as moving my cursor over to the VM window and interacting with it as I would any other window. If you really wanted that GUI integration, both of the leading modern VM suites support a mode which renders all in-VM windows within the native WM, thus being little difference than running it natively.

You're pretty funny, the way you argue is like swinging a giant hammer onto a large wooden surface hoping you're going to hit a tiny nail you can't see. It's really fun to read, actually, because most of the time you argue points that don't make sense, or are irrelevant, then repeat what I say to you at the end of your posts to try to turn my points around on me. You're exactly why people don't like Apple fans. When you argue, you only argue half of what I was talking about, then you ignore the other sections and pretend like they never happened. My point wasn't focused around work-flow, that was a side point about an issue, which, according to you, "was largely based on incorrect assumptions" which also isn't true, you just added that on to try and make me look like I don't understand what I'm talking about. Typical tactics for someone like you, I bet you argue a lot on the internet, you seem to have that aggressive and disrespectful edge when talking to other people. It's actually annoying, really. You haven't touched at all on my main point, which is because I assume you don't have a counter-point.

The fact that you need Windows or WINE at all is pretty much proof enough for me that OS X is incredibly lacking as an OS in general.

QUOTE said:
Whereas I've never seen anyone bother or even attempt to boot into OS X via VM. Why? There's no point. A Windows machine is already the swiss army knife of computers. It doesn't need to boot into OS X to play games or use programs made for OS X because there's already an equivalent or better on the operating system.
Number one signal of a "fanboy": Assuming that everyone values the same qualities you do at the same level.

Number one signal? You're hilarious, and also a hypocrite. Your posts in this topic scream fanboy, but I'm not going to touch on that because, well, I simply don't care. You're entitled to like something, however your disrespectful and aggressive side is showing again. I never said it was good for everyone, you just assumed I did. Much in the same way you assume a lot about me and then throw it into your posts like it's a solid fact that proves everything I'm saying is wrong. Do you actually think about what you're typing before you post it? You're literally missing the points of every single one of my posts. It's ridiculous. The fact that you even felt it was necessary to call me a fanboy makes you no better than Apple's ad campaign, in the sense that you're trying to smear me as a person so that readers will think, "Oh that dude's just a windows fanboy, let's not listen." Not necessary, and if you had any valid or concrete points at all you wouldn't need to resort to childish name calling. Pretty low.

EDIT:

1zv8uox.png

2s9eqlj.png

2u4nb7t.png

Oh. That explains a lot. Ugh.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
Kentoss said:
The fact that you need Windows or WINE at all is pretty much proof enough for me that OS X is incredibly lacking as an OS in general.

PS3's ARE SO LACKING BECAUSE YOU CAN'T PLAY 360 GAMES ON THEM

On the topic of haters on Apple, I quite dislike them alot many things such as some hardware, the image they put out, some stuff in their operating systems (OSX/iOS). Although I find alot of stuff for example in OSX it has quite a few flaws with lack of customization for example where as another operating system such as Win 7 provides.

But putting those things that kind of put me off Apple the real problem that grinds my gears is their marketing/image/descriptions or whatnot of how they present their products. For example watching the "Documentary thing" of the iPhone 4 I thought "Oh that's pretty neat", but then they went all bullshit in the fact they overhyped "Video Calling" hailing it as some new glorious Apple invention dubbed "Face-time" which has been around for quite awhile. Another display of this was also in the Apple keynote for the iPad where they compared the iPad to a network and then implying that it was far superior. The iPad is nothing but a larger iPod touch with optional 3G, more advanced specs and a slightly modified distribution of iOS, although the ads on the television and what not make it out to be something much more revolutionary and amazing. It'd be kind of nice if they didn't pull alot of shit out of their ass and wave it around like they pretty much invented it.

As for the quote above OSX in my opinion and I guess in fact aswell a bit does lack in areas although not in the area which you have pointed out since it is a different platform (PS3, 360 analogy).

Kentoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PettingZoo said:
Kentoss said:

PS3's ARE SO LACKING BECAUSE YOU CAN'T PLAY 360 GAMES ON THEM

As for the quote above OSX in my opinion and I guess in fact aswell a bit does lack in areas although not in the area which you have pointed out since it is a different platform (PS3, 360 analogy).

Hahaha, wow. You don't understand my point do you? Your analogy is incorrect, sir. I didn't say, OS X was lacking because you can't run Windows on it. I said it was lacking because you need to run Windows on it to accomplish certain tasks. While the average OS X user wont need this functionality if they stick with what they have, users that want to do things like play games, or run windows-only applications will.

Nice try though, it was a decent effort.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I personally never hated Apple or their products but there are times when you're just like "... reallly? I mean realllllly??" and you either do a facepalm or a put your head down in shame. Kinda like when Steve told that iPhone 4 user he was holding it wrong.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I totally missed the whole "Captain Moralfag" thing...
blink.gif

Hakoda said:
I personally never hated Apple or their products but there are times when you're just like "... reallly? I mean realllllly??" and you either do a facepalm or a put your head down in shame. Kinda like when Steve told that iPhone 4 user he was holding it wrong.

Steve Jobs is a dick. If he was in charge of customer service he would flip the proverbial middle finger everyone who sent their mac/iPod/iPhone in for repair.

gameguy95

Needs More Furries!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ImperialX said:
Choose a tech blog or news source of your choice that isn’t specific to Apple news. Then, pick a post that introduces a new Apple product, and scroll down to the comments. The ratio of comments flaming it to those praising it will definitely be 4:1, at the least.

*snip*

It’s time for the tech community to join hands again and put an end to this conflict. As lovers of technology, there’s no reason for us to fight over such a trivial matter. We live in a democracy, and everyone has their different opinions. Don’t let the fanboys cloud your judgement of a good product. Look at the comments you posted with a calm mind, are your comments really justified? Think about this the next time you see a new Apple product introduced. How about taking a first step today, build a hacint0sh, and boot up with Mac OS X for a week? You’ll be surprised at how good it is.

Original Post: http://imperialx.wordpress.com/2010/07/18/...o-apple-haters/
hackint0sh FTW

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You call me hypocritical, and say that I ignore the important aspects of your posts, when you spend several paragraphs on a tirade concerning my posting style.

QUOTE said:
The fact that you need Windows or WINE at all is pretty much proof enough for me that OS X is incredibly lacking as an OS in general.How is the fact that I have a very specific and uncommon usage scenario which I occasionally need filled proof that "OSX is incredibly lacking as an OS in general"?

QUOTE said:
Hahaha, wow. You don't understand my point do you? Your analogy is incorrect, sir. I didn't say, OS X was lacking because you can't run Windows on it. I said it was lacking because you need to run Windows on it to accomplish certain tasks. While the average OS X user wont need this functionality if they stick with what they have, users that want to do things like play games, or run windows-only applications will.Here's what you don't get: the same thing applies in reverse.

While the average Windows user won't need this functionality, users that want distinct kernel modes, a robust UNIX-based platform, or run OSX-only applications will.

and if you had any valid or concrete points at all you wouldn't need to resort to childish name calling. Pretty low.
Of course I don't need to. I simple throw it in as a bonus
tpi.gif

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
chao1212 said:
It's the closed-ness of it. An iPad is fucking useless because you can't customize it worth a shit, you're limited to apple's shitty app store unless you jailbreak, which makes you give up quite a bit.
What exactly are you giving up by jailbreaking?

Spoiler: nothing
First, you can never update which means you're stuck with the same software until much later when someone hacks it. Secondly, much of the more useful jailbreak apps conflict with each other and cause a lot of lag. Thirdly, what do you have against Ubuntu? It works well enough, boots in seconds and is quite sexy.
Reason #1 is that it's overpriced when it comes out, then a few weeks later apple releases a new version with fucking double the specs and half the price, leaving everyone who bought the older version feeling ripped off with there now useless apple product. Itunes is also the worst media player ever, it's slow and takes far too long to start on my laptop. The AT&T thing is bullshit, and apple has taken far too many good apps off the store due to "Questionable Content" like a BASIC programming language. Android > iOS imo.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chao1212 said:
First, you can never update which means you're stuck with the same software until much later when someone hacks it.The average time for a userland jailbreak on new software release is less than a week. That doesn't qualify as "much later" to me.

QUOTE said:
Secondly, much of the more useful jailbreak apps conflict with each other and cause a lot of lag.
That applies to any computing platform. If you run a ton of unnecessary applications simultaneously on a desktop computer you can potentially bring it to a halt as well.

QUOTE said:
Thirdly, what do you have against Ubuntu? It works well enough, boots in seconds and is quite sexy.
http://gbatemp.net/t240432-which-linux-dis...t&p=2982155

Among other reasons.

Reason #1 is that it's overpriced when it comes out, then a few weeks later apple releases a new version with fucking double the specs and half the price, leaving everyone who bought the older version feeling ripped off with there now useless apple product. Itunes is also the worst media player ever, it's slow and takes far too long to start on my laptop. The AT&T thing is bullshit, and apple has taken far too many good apps off the store due to "Questionable Content" like a BASIC programming language. Android > iOS imo.
"Few weeks"? The release cycle is a year between generations.

ATT of course is an awful network, although that's easily remedied by switching to T-Mobile (losing 3G in the process however). While I agree that iTunes is an awful media player, using it as a management tool for the device works fairly well and you're under no obligation to actually play media with it.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
chao1212 said:
First, you can never update which means you're stuck with the same software until much later when someone hacks it.The average time for a userland jailbreak on new software release is less than a week. That doesn't qualify as "much later" to me.

QUOTE said:
Secondly, much of the more useful jailbreak apps conflict with each other and cause a lot of lag.
That applies to any computing platform. If you run a ton of unnecessary applications simultaneously on a desktop computer you can potentially bring it to a halt as well.

QUOTE said:
Thirdly, what do you have against Ubuntu? It works well enough, boots in seconds and is quite sexy.
http://gbatemp.net/t240432-which-linux-dis...t&p=2982155

Among other reasons.

"Few weeks"? The release cycle is a year between generations.

ATT of course is an awful network, although that's easily remedied by switching to T-Mobile (losing 3G in the process however). While I agree that iTunes is an awful media player, using it as a management tool for the device works fairly well and you're under no obligation to actually play media with it.

It's literally impossible to properly use linux without learning something about it.
If you have to jailbreak to use it in a way that's useful, it's not worth buying.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chao1212 said:
It's literally impossible to properly use linux without learning something about it.
Yeah. You learn how to annoy people on the Ubuntu Forums.

QUOTEIf you have to jailbreak to use it in a way that's useful, it's not worth buying.
While that isn't true in the first place, why does having to take the entirety of a minute to activate the additional functionality detriment your opinion of the device?

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
chao1212 said:

QUOTEIf you have to jailbreak to use it in a way that's useful, it's not worth buying.
While that isn't true in the first place, why does having to take the entirety of a minute to activate the additional functionality detriment your opinion of the device?
Jailbreaking doesn't count as an actual factor in the quality. As in without something that the creators try to suppress the ipod would be much less useful. It's not a positive because it adds functionality, but a negative because it needs modification to be worth the money.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chao1212 said:
Urza said:
chao1212 said:

Jailbreaking doesn't count as an actual factor in the quality. As in without something that the creators try to suppress the ipod would be much less useful. It's not a positive because it adds functionality, but a negative because it needs modification to be worth the money.
But the modification requires virtually no time or effort.

Personally I find having the Windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen is an incredible detriment to my productivity. I don't count it against the product though, as it takes about half a second to move it to the side.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
chao1212 said:
Urza said:
chao1212 said:

But the modification requires virtually no time or effort.

Personally I find having the Windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen is an incredible detriment to my productivity. I don't count it against the product though, as it takes about half a second to move it to the side.
But you don't have to hack it to move it to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work