XP
Country
United States
chao1212 said:
Urza said:
chao1212 said:
Urza said:
chao1212 said:
Who the fuck are you basing this off of? I don't know anyone without a custom background on their pc. You don't have to customize if you don't want to. It's shit because iTunes is the only thing you can use to get your songs on it, the app store has nothing worth while on it, and apple has a tendency to rip people off. (500 hundred usd for a giant ipod? No thanks.)
So you're equating the lack of customization parity between stock iOS and Android to someone changing their wallpaper? lol.

As far as iTunes is concerned, in what sense do its music transferal capabilities fail? I completely understand and share your views on the application as a media player, but (as I've mentioned previously) for simply transferring music it works fine. On the AppStore, I disagree completely. In my library I have fantastic documents readers, VNC/RDP clients, optimized API clients for specific sites (eBay, PayPal, and TWiT I use most frequently), media streamers, among many other things. Would you care to elaborate on what types of "worthwhile" applications you'd expect?
Emulators, FUCKING WALLPAPERS, a way to watch videos online on something other than youtube, sbsettings, overboard, free update, making apps on a pc, etc.
Both wallpapers and video streaming apps are present in the App Store, fyi.

That being said, you're saying all software in existence that doesn't fall within those you just named in that sentence aren't worth having?
Are you saying that you'd have an iPod for something other than music without those?
Yeah, actually.

Emulators of game consoles are generally pretty worthless without decent controls (eg tactile buttons). Wallpapers I couldn't give two shits about, as I don't sit there staring past the applications. Video streaming applications are present in the App Store as I stated previously. A lack of SBSettings, while it does save me a few seconds each time I would otherwise have to open Settings.app, is not really a deal-killer. Overboard is just a silly graphical effect and I much prefer simply scrolling to the page/folder or using the search. The updates are free, so that's just incorrect. I'm not a developer, so that last one is not relevant to me at all.

Also, do you even read the posts you reply to? Right there I provided a pretty good list of applications I find very useful.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Westside said:
Urza, you seem to keep on using the android example. While MacOS, Windows and whatever the android uses are all software at the end, it is same as comparing a Mitsubishi to a Toyota to a bike, they are all modes of transportation. MacOS and Windows are all consumer operating systems on a Personal Computer.

Android is the operating system. On many mobile phones. It's like Windows Mobile or...sorry, I don't know what they call the iPhone's firmware.

And great example - no one ever compares Mitsubishis to Toyotas, and no one ever does that to get people to stop biking (for whatever reason?)

Alex666

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i dont hate apple
smile.gif

got an ipod touch and i love it
biggrin.gif

but got win7 sooo.... xD

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alex666 said:
i dont hate apple
smile.gif

got an ipod touch and i love it
biggrin.gif

but got win7 sooo.... xD
I hate apple and use an iPod 3G 8gig. Which was a total ripoff because it had the old processor. (Such a hypocrite >.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chao1212 said:
Urza said:
chao1212 said:
Urza said:
chao1212 said:
Who the fuck are you basing this off of? I don't know anyone without a custom background on their pc. You don't have to customize if you don't want to. It's shit because iTunes is the only thing you can use to get your songs on it, the app store has nothing worth while on it, and apple has a tendency to rip people off. (500 hundred usd for a giant ipod? No thanks.)
So you're equating the lack of customization parity between stock iOS and Android to someone changing their wallpaper? lol.

As far as iTunes is concerned, in what sense do its music transferal capabilities fail? I completely understand and share your views on the application as a media player, but (as I've mentioned previously) for simply transferring music it works fine. On the AppStore, I disagree completely. In my library I have fantastic documents readers, VNC/RDP clients, optimized API clients for specific sites (eBay, PayPal, and TWiT I use most frequently), media streamers, among many other things. Would you care to elaborate on what types of "worthwhile" applications you'd expect?
Emulators, FUCKING WALLPAPERS, a way to watch videos online on something other than youtube, sbsettings, overboard, free update, making apps on a pc, etc.
Both wallpapers and video streaming apps are present in the App Store, fyi.

That being said, you're saying all software in existence that doesn't fall within those you just named in that sentence aren't worth having?
Are you saying that you'd have an iPod for something other than music without those?

Holy fuck, you people really don't use your media player or phone the way it's supposed to, right? There are a ton of things you can do on the iPhone that is incredibly useful. Beejive is an outstanding IM client, very useful for chatting with your friends away from home. There's Convertbot, a beautiful and easy to use app for conversions of all types. Don't fucking tell me you buy a phone just to make it pretty and "show your individualism." That's more of a fashion statement than just buying an iPhone because you think it's "hip." (If a fashion statement is bad in the first place.)

Please. There are many uses for the iPhone. If this great phone sucks so much and you can't stand its design and popularity and "lack of support and open-ness", you probably should have thrown away all the phones you got before a few years ago when the G1 came out.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kicknhorse said:
I also wish to state the ipods are the worse MP3 players to ever exist. I had the 1st gen Archos players (which were just incredible for the time, though they were heavy) and 1st gen ipods, and the ipod was just so limited.

Also the fact you had to change all your formats from mp3, as well as NEVER being able to really get music back off the ipod unless you pay a lot of money. My friends ipod touch crashed and he had brought a lot of albums from the apply store. He was forced to reset his ipod touch but could not get back the music he paid for and had to pay for it again... Unlike on xbox live where if you deleted something you pay for, you can always get it back for free.

Apple just sucks so hard in these cases.

1) you did not have to change your mp3 files. the very first ipod supported mp3 files

2) "NEVER being able to really get "? what do you mean by 'really'? you could always move your music off the ipod for free. the fact that you "never really" knew how, doesn't mean that it was "never really" possible. mac haters claim that mac users are total noobs, yet they can't figure out something as simple as navigating invisible folders.

3) i can't help you with your lost music. except maybe you should keep a backup next time
ninja.gif

i suppose mac haters never have to back things up because things are perfect in a non mac world.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
why get a mac when you can a Linux disro for free? in linux it works like a mac (terminal trash bin and the top bar) plus if you want the mac look get the Mac4Lin theme boot splash login and there you have it a Mac4lin theme.
WHY PAY FOR SOFTWARE WHEN YOU CAN GET OPEN SOURCE ALTERNATIVES? is it worth paying for scarifying the compatibility windows have if you have wine on a Linux or virtualbox?

think%20road%20safety%20(100x100)_tcm4-378732.jpg

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dter ic said:
why get a mac when you can a Linux disro for free? in linux it works like a mac (terminal trash bin and the top bar) plus if you want the mac look get the Mac4Lin theme boot splash login and there you have it a Mac4lin theme.
WHY PAY FOR SOFTWARE WHEN YOU CAN GET OPEN SOURCE ALTERNATIVES? is it worth paying for scarifying the compatibility windows have if you have wine on a Linux or virtualbox?
I don't think you've ever actually used OSX.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Dter ic said:

if it looks like OSX it must work like OSX

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Urza said:
Dter ic said:
Yes, I agree. I am by no means an Apple fanboy. In fact I've stated in this thread that I don't really like Apple at all as a company. Putting a theme on Linux will not make it FUNCTION the same as OSX. Open source alternatives are sometimes extremely high quality but in most cases, the really aren't. Just try running Photoshop CS4 on Linux. It can be done, but it takes a while to setup and you'll still have problems. Even if you use wine, you won't be able to run everything perfectly. Virtualbox also isn't an option in some cases. My computer can't run any OS properly in virtualbox, but it runs OSx86 smoothly.Just because they look the same, the experience is totally different.

h0ser81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nutella5600 said:
Urza said:
Dter ic said:
Yes, I agree. I am by no means an Apple fanboy. In fact I've stated in this thread that I don't really like Apple at all as a company. Putting a theme on Linux will not make it FUNCTION the same as OSX. Open source alternatives are sometimes extremely high quality but in most cases, the really aren't. Just try running Photoshop CS4 on Linux. It can be done, but it takes a while to setup and you'll still have problems. Even if you use wine, you won't be able to run everything perfectly. Virtualbox also isn't an option in some cases. My computer can't run any OS properly in virtualbox, but it runs OSx86 smoothly.Just because they look the same, the experience is totally different.

Why even bother using Photoshop when Gimp is virtually the same thing and can do nearly all the things Photoshop can? Not to mention the average user doesn't have to pirate it, because it's free.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
h0ser81 said:
nutella5600 said:
Urza said:
Dter ic said:

Why even bother using Photoshop when Gimp is virtually the same thing and can do nearly all the things Photoshop can? Not to mention the average user doesn't have to pirate it, because it's free.

Because Gimp is an open source clusterfuck. It sucks for OS X. It sucks for Windows. It's decent for Linux. It's incredibly unintuitive and leaves you scratching your head until you close the damned thing, or crashes. It eats up memory like a fat kid in a cake house. Uninstalled it the month after trying this "Photoshop killer."

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's why jailbreaking is very bad and should be a deal-breaker for most people: Apple can take it away forever with one OS update. If you rely on a jailbroken phone for your day to day iPhone usage, what happens if Apple finally figures out a thing or two about security, and all your apps go away never to return?

Better to go with Android, which doesn't have to be hacked to perform like an actual device should.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BakuFunn said:
h0ser81 said:
nutella5600 said:
Urza said:
Dter ic said:

Because Gimp is an open source clusterfuck. It sucks for OS X. It sucks for Windows. It's decent for Linux. It's incredibly unintuitive and leaves you scratching your head until you close the damned thing, or crashes. It eats up memory like a fat kid in a cake house. Uninstalled it the month after trying this "Photoshop killer."
Exactly. As good as open source is, it won't replace what is commercially available. If Gimp really was as good as Photoshop, nobody would buy Photoshop. This isn't a Gimp vs Photoshop thread, but don't even make the argument that Gimp is the same as Photoshop, because they're not. Out of Windows 7, Linux and OSX, I probably use Linux the most (not sure though), so I'm not trying to say Linux is shit by any means, but the point is Linux is not the same as OSX. They're very different, no matter how many themes you apply to it.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perseid said:
Here's why jailbreaking is very bad and should be a deal-breaker for most people: Apple can take it away forever with one OS update. If you rely on a jailbroken phone for your day to day iPhone usage, what happens if Apple finally figures out a thing or two about security, and all your apps go away never to return?"Finally figures out a thing or two about security"? I'm sure they have a team comprising of some of the top security analysts and developers in the world working for them, as most of the top software producers do. When it comes to incredibly complicated sofware (be it OSX, iOS, Windows, gaming platforms, etc) there are likely to be holes, and with the necessary permissions hackers will find and exploit those holes.

This being said, in the very unlikely scenario that they provide a bulletproof release it's as simple as not updating through Apple. Future "updates" could be provided through third-party means if ever became necessary.

QUOTEBetter to go with Android, which doesn't have to be hacked to perform like an actual device should.
Except (as far as I'm concerned) iOS provides a much better mobile platform. Android just isn't to that level of interface consistancy and intuitiveness yet, which is increasingly crucial on a mobile platform with limited hardware (and it's clear they've realized this, as they've been snapping up design experts like Matias Duarte in recent months).

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Perseid said:
Here's why jailbreaking is very bad and should be a deal-breaker for most people: Apple can take it away forever with one OS update. If you rely on a jailbroken phone for your day to day iPhone usage, what happens if Apple finally figures out a thing or two about security, and all your apps go away never to return?

Better to go with Android, which doesn't have to be hacked to perform like an actual device should.
This is why the DSi is also incredibly horrible: because if Nintendo smartens up and requires software updates that will combat to the fullest flashcarts, then if you rely on this DSi as your primary handheld entertainment device, what happens when it's updated and renders your flashcart unusable? Say goodbye to your saved games?

Did I hit a soft spot?

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
lol @ Gimp.

Open Source does not mean automatically better then closed source.
Gimp isn't as good as Photoshop, but don't shit on its face. I'll look forwards to the day Gimp competes with Photoshop.
Android competes with iOS, doesn't it? Linux is pretty good, isn't it? Don't troll.

He asked why people would use PS when there's a free alternative, not fuck your mother and force you to Gimp-up a picture of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1