OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ocfrom.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Recently, I've started taking an interest in music equipment. Mostly electronic stuff like samplers, drum machines, synthesizers, etc. I'm thinking of buying an MPC1000 once I find one at a good price. What about your thoughts on music equipment of the sorts?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently, I've started taking an interest in music equipment. Mostly electronic stuff like samplers, drum machines, synthesizers, etc. I'm thinking of buying an MPC1000 once I find one at a good price. What about your thoughts on music equipment of the sorts?
Curious why you're interested in hardware, considering the incredible advances in the actual electronic processes (plugins, etc.)?

I'm a guitarist, and as soon as MIDI became a thing (I think back in the late 70s/early 80s), my older brother had a friend with a 4-track cassette recorder and small MIDI keyboard. I think I was about 11 (maybe as old as 13 -- it's been a long time), but from that time on I took a great interest in electronics to be used with music because it had the promise of allowing me execute on my own large musical productions.

Later, I focused on solely acoustic guitar, but being on medical leave again, I've been trying to use my time wisely (to keep from going insane with boredom and anxiety) by recording. I'm having to relearn everything, having not done it for almost 20 years. But man, the advancements are incredible with regards to sound quality and mechanics.

I can understand if there's perhaps something from this machine you can achieve that you simply can't with a plugin, but if not, why not focus that currency on desktop software/hardware and utility gear like audio interfaces, condenser mics, etc.?

Atomyiik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ocfrom.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Curious why you're interested in hardware, considering the incredible advances in the actual electronic processes (plugins, etc.)?
It's mostly just personal preference. Software is great, but does way more than I actually need. My setup is very minimal, just using a music tracker as a sequencer and a software sampler. Exploring hardware is more interesting to me than just using software.
Post automatically merged:

WOW!! Spec says that device is 20 years old! Wonder if the rest of the info is accurate.
It's still pretty modern for it's age. I won't have to be dealing with floppies like the older models...

Last edited by Atomyiik,

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can totally dig that. Whatever inspires, man. I guess I'm kinda doing that same thing with regards to "how" I'm executing my recordings. Though I am using a PC DAW, I'm also using a very old physical DAW (Roland VS-880EX) I've had since the 90s. I'm trying to be very minimalist with regards to spending. I'm currently on medical leave, so money is tight, of course. But it's a rejuvenating challenge, not only to relearn the mechanics, but to do so with spending as little as possible. I'm only using a free DAW and plugins, and I'm using my old Roland to record the physical performances -- basically as an audio interface, so I don't have to drop $150-200 on a decent audio interface.

And I'd say after about six months, it's starting to come together. Either way, it's fun doing it. I've tried to make a routine, something where I can make a song and video come together each week.

As to your initial question in the OT, I'd say if you can afford it and find it useful, enjoy, man. ;)

Atomyiik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ocfrom.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I can totally dig that. Whatever inspires, man. I guess I'm kinda doing that same thing with regards to "how" I'm executing my recordings. Though I am using a PC DAW, I'm also using a very old physical DAW (Roland VS-880EX) I've had since the 90s. I'm trying to be very minimalist with regards to spending. I'm currently on medical leave, so money is tight, of course. But it's a rejuvenating challenge, not only to relearn the mechanics, but to do so with spending as little as possible. I'm only using a free DAW and plugins, and I'm using my old Roland to record the physical performances -- basically as an audio interface, so I don't have to drop $150-200 on a decent audio interface.

Just searched online for the Roland VS-880EX and WOW, I'm surprised the prices are pretty cheap, that's a pretty neat thing to have. I'm glad you're enjoying your minimal setup, as that's what I'm aiming for too.

Reactions: GeekyGuy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...