Stuff you just don't get?

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm always amazed at people who argue on the internet and proudly refuse to have the basic decency to read what they're being told as a response, especially when their contradictor goes through the hassle of writing a detailed, argumented reply, and who use that kind of rudeness as a way to put down their contradictor, as if displaying such bad faith made them gain the upper hand in the discussion.

To me that's the epitome of trolling. Or stupidity maybe. Or both I guess.
yes, i am trolling, but my attention span is also unfortunately small

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don’t get why people think I am trying to sell them a product when I mention I use any Apple product. I really don’t care if you don’t use them and I really don’t care if it’s because of the price. I am not trying to convince you to use something I find works for me.
Yes, I understand why people don’t like Apple and I even agree with almost all of those reasons. But quoting the price and telling me that’s why you won’t buy an Apple product just because you saw me using an iPhone is always strange. Me using an iPhone does not mean I trying to convince others to do the same.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Advertising. Mostly online. Never have I ever went to a site or loaded an app and then diverted myself from what I wanted to do or see due to a fucking forced ad to endure before I get there.

I do not understand why it is such a big industry as personally its all white noise to me and this personalised/tailored experience... Yeah when I actually do search and buy something what I want is to see it again and again on every fucking site from purchase.

Does anyone actually click on ads (purposely) even on here? I just don't get it!

Reactions: Xdqwerty

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Why the hell all appliances need to be connected to WIFI without no reason what so ever
For fault finding purposes. I've got a washer an dryer and if there's a fault you can put your mobile phone next to it and it tells a technician in Japan what's wrong with it, not that its of use to anyone unless they are still in warranty. Then there's TV's and all the apps you get for them, smart sockets, smart camera's, doorbells, weather stations.....an endless list in fact. I do like my smart tech though as it saves me getting off my arse to do anything.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
For fault finding purposes. I've got a washer an dryer and if there's a fault you can put your mobile phone next to it and it tells a technician in Japan what's wrong with it, not that its of use to anyone unless they are still in warranty. Then there's TV's and all the apps you get for them, smart sockets, smart camera's, doorbells, weather stations.....an endless list in fact. I do like my smart tech though as it saves me getting off my arse to do anything.
Well, sadly they seem to be more for data collecting more than the convince. I do enjoy my lamps tho so I call tell Google to turn them off and on :P

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I do! My old junk toaster sounds like the whole house is shaking when it eject the bread
You see, that's why your toaster needs wifi! I don't think it will solve the problem of your earthquake maker but at least you will know when your toast is done

• Haha
Reactions: linuxares

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Well, sadly they seem to be more for data collecting more than the convince. I do enjoy my lamps tho so I call tell Google to turn them off and on :P
Not if you program them with Tasmota firmware and then use Home Assistant as a local server and set it up to use local voice commands or the app. You can do all that offline and there's no data being collected. Obviously not doing it that way you have a very valid point. I also program esp32 devices myself to control stuff so know exactly what the software is doing.

Reactions: linuxares

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
-We can make roads, but we cant make paper maps for everyone to purchase?
-I care because it has never been explained how he lives as long as he does
-Again, I care because Link and Zelda have shortly been explained but I want to know more
-I didn't mean in the game, I meant in real life
-Why not zebras? Or lions? Or eve deer?

I'm not overthinking anything. I'm asking actual questions that either have been answered shortly or haven't been answered at all. I understand that these are parts of the game that make it harder to play for a defined reason, but also that makes me want to not even play them because questions we all have aren't being answered. Perhaps they have been, but not being an active Zelda fan has prevented me from finding answers.
-Yeah well that's a mechanic. I'm pretty sure there were npcs that are using maps, I haven't even thought about « why cant I buy a map » because I have a magic tablet and a gameplay incentive to unlock all of the map
-It kinda was tho, Ganon is basically a spirit. It's stated his willingness of not giving up was too strong to ever die so it's still there. In ToTK there are even more details.
-More of what ? They've been asleep and that's about it. Sure that's not how it works but that's why there's a suspension of disbelief. That's what happens with cryosleep too. Especially in a world where some of the basic physical laws don't apply 1:1
-Oh, well I wish this thing would behave the same way it does in the game but I guess not ... We also underestime the pure amount of strength Link has in order to suspend himself for that long and that high.
-Maybe there aren't zebras or lions in this world. It's not Earth. But you can ride skeleton horses bears or mooses.

Those questions aren't « questions we all have » tho. Tbh you're the first one I've ever seen to have these kind of questions. I can understand why you would have liked those to be answered, for sure and sometimes about some games I do have questions I would like to be answered. I think when it comes to Zelda I've learned how to have a pretty big suspension of disbelief. I used to be one of those who would theorize a lot about the universe and it was really fun, but a lot of the stuff is just meant for gameplay and that's fine as is.
Zelda doesn't ground itself in realism so I'm fine with all the bs that happens.

If you're Christian, it's not a religious requirement at all.
Yeah that's why I said it's probably based in just traditionalism. I haven't done the same amount of research as you, but my point of view is more based on a « philosophical » thought.
Basically we're born that way and I don't think God would punish me from not cutting off parts of my body as I know God is forgiving. I'm shortening a lot of the thought here.
I've seen way too many people thinking that God is that strict about everything. I can't blame people for thinking that way tho. All around the world people tend to mix religion with traditionalism and develop arbitrary rules in the name of God. It's like there's only one way to be Christian or Muslim or whatever. And again, when it comes to an almighty power, I don't think he would care about if I cut the thing properly or not.
Ethically I also hate that somehow it's seen better cutting off males genitals. You do what you want with your body and I'm perfectly fine with that, but when it comes to kids ... I'm really not comfortable doing that. I remember when I was a teen people saying that at least it's more clean, well then teach your kids how to clean their dick. From my experience circumcision doesn't save me the chore of hygiene

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Yeah well that's a mechanic. I'm pretty sure there were npcs that are using maps, I haven't even thought about « why cant I buy a map » because I have a magic tablet and a gameplay incentive to unlock all of the map
-It kinda was tho, Ganon is basically a spirit. It's stated his willingness of not giving up was too strong to ever die so it's still there. In ToTK there are even more details.
-More of what ? They've been asleep and that's about it. Sure that's not how it works but that's why there's a suspension of disbelief. That's what happens with cryosleep too. Especially in a world where some of the basic physical laws don't apply 1:1
-Oh, well I wish this thing would behave the same way it does in the game but I guess not ... We also underestime the pure amount of strength Link has in order to suspend himself for that long and that high.
-Maybe there aren't zebras or lions in this world. It's not Earth. But you can ride skeleton horses bears or mooses.

Those questions aren't « questions we all have » tho. Tbh you're the first one I've ever seen to have these kind of questions. I can understand why you would have liked those to be answered, for sure and sometimes about some games I do have questions I would like to be answered. I think when it comes to Zelda I've learned how to have a pretty big suspension of disbelief. I used to be one of those who would theorize a lot about the universe and it was really fun, but a lot of the stuff is just meant for gameplay and that's fine as is.
Zelda doesn't ground itself in realism so I'm fine with all the bs that happens.
Thanks for helping me realize that perhaps I don't have to think like that and ask those questions. It made the games uninteresting to me, meaning the last Zelda game I played and beat was Ocarina of Time for Nintendo 64 which I actually enjoyed playing. But instead of thinking difficultly about it, just play and don't care and have fun!

Thanks, @LightBeam for the hellp!

Reactions: LightBeam

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for helping me realize that perhaps I don't have to think like that and ask those questions. It made the games uninteresting to me, meaning the last Zelda game I played and beat was Ocarina of Time for Nintendo 64 which I actually enjoyed playing. But instead of thinking difficultly about it, just play and don't care and have fun!

Thanks, @LightBeam for the hellp!
I haven't done much but share my opinion and how I personally set my mind when it comes to Zelda or « crazy fantasy stuff » : basically when I have a specific question a lot of time I just brush it off as « eh, must be like that in this world », definitely works when you don't want to theorize and just have fun (tho I like when those aspects are developed and established)
It was fun sharing our opinions, glad you found it helpful, maybe one day you'll try again and I hope you'll have the same fun I had :)

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don’t get why people think I am trying to sell them a product when I mention I use any Apple product.
Because Apple looks like a cult from the outside, that's about it.

I'm exaggerating a bit but I imagine you talk to techbros (at least that's the kind of ppl I know who would say that stuff) and some of them can't help mentioning it every time.
I hate Apple but it's just that they're good at marketing and the social image an iPhone gives you, for someone who doesn't give a damn about a phone's usability (in the sense that it's not the primary criterion since for the same price you inevitably get something better) and who can afford it, it's still pretty unbeatable.
So for someone who can't even understand the existence of this « value » (I hate it, but it's there), if you talk about Apple then they'll have to express how clueless they are about Apple. Lots of people who are tech-savvy just can't understand why people won't get a device that's as expensive but more powerful, more .... everything.

i don't get people who play public lobbies in a game and kick everyone instead of just setting it to friends only
Either they made a mistake and they kick before switching to private, or they set in public because their buddies are not smart enough to right-click join friend.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Because Apple looks like a cult from the outside, that's about it.

I'm exaggerating a bit but I imagine you talk to techbros (at least that's the kind of ppl I know who would say that stuff) and some of them can't help mentioning it every time.
I hate Apple but it's just that they're good at marketing and the social image an iPhone gives you, for someone who doesn't give a damn about a phone's usability (in the sense that it's not the primary criterion since for the same price you inevitably get something better) and who can afford it, it's still pretty unbeatable.
So for someone who can't even understand the existence of this « value » (I hate it, but it's there), if you talk about Apple then they'll have to express how clueless they are about Apple. Lots of people who are tech-savvy just can't understand why people won't get a device that's as expensive but more powerful, more .... everything.
It’s actually more like this
“Hey, how did your vacation go?”
“Oh it was awesome! Wanna see some pictures?”
“Sure!”
Takes out my phone
Completely unprompted, “man, I would never buy an Apple product, they cost so damn much”
Me
E62B54B6-DF76-4BAF-B3E8-7FDE32593B93.gif

This happens constantly to me. People see my phone and will completely unprompted mention that it’s an iPhone/Apple product and that they mention all of the reasons, mostly the price, as to why they would never buy an iPhone/Apple products. Now, maybe I am missing the social element because I don’t follow people who make their personality around the products they own. I find those people to be as boring as sports fans normies. So maybe I just miss the part of this community.
I actually use an iPhone and Android phones. The main reason to keep them separate is that I need my daily phone to be something I can’t tinker with. I love hacking my electronics, which with androids means a lot of downtime flashing ROMs and shit. I can’t be doing that with my daily driver, I need this for keeping track of appointments, bills, important calls/messages, and so on. So owning an iPhone as my daily driver is deliberately gimping myself for my own wellbeing

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s actually more like this
“Hey, how did your vacation go?”
“Oh it was awesome! Wanna see some pictures?”
“Sure!”
Takes out my phone
Completely unprompted, “man, I would never buy an Apple product, they cost so damn much”
Me
View attachment 419407
This happens constantly to me. People see my phone and will completely unprompted mention that it’s an iPhone/Apple product and that they mention all of the reasons, mostly the price, as to why they would never buy an iPhone/Apple products. Now, maybe I am missing the social element because I don’t follow people who make their personality around the products they own. I find those people to be as boring as sports fans normies. So maybe I just miss the part of this community.
I actually use an iPhone and Android phones. The main reason to keep them separate is that I need my daily phone to be something I can’t tinker with. I love hacking my electronics, which with androids means a lot of downtime flashing ROMs and shit. I can’t be doing that with my daily driver, I need this for keeping track of appointments, bills, important calls/messages, and so on. So owning an iPhone as my daily driver is deliberately gimping myself for my own wellbeing
likewise, if i bring out my android, people will laugh at me for not being able to afford an iphone, despite the fact that android has more features, so i'd just rather have that over a pricey-ass, fragile-ass iphone

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto