multiMAN beginner's guide

Discussion in 'PS3 - Tutorials' started by Cyan, May 2, 2011.

May 2, 2011

multiMAN beginner's guide by Cyan at 11:28 PM (1,330,622 Views / 6 Likes) 343 replies

1. gamer89

Newcomer gamer89 Newbie

United States
    Maybe this might help somebody else. I got a FAT32 partition working on my Seagate 3TB external under the following conditions. The FAT32 partition is formatted to a 32 KB cluster size (256 KB did not work), the partition is under 1 TB (over 1 TB was not detected for me), I have two FAT32 partition & I can alter between them by converting between logical & primary. Currently the logical partition is being detected. I use Easus for my partitioning, NTFS compatibility was unsuccessful for me. MMOS would freeze when I clicked on the PFS driver folder in the explorer window.

2. tokimon

Newcomer tokimon Newbie

United States
    hello everyone, i encounter some problem when using multiman 4.65.00. whenever i try to load a game, it doesnt show the game i pick on the ps3 game homescreen. i think the error is bdemulator but i did install the bdemu-355.pkg, even the settings in multiman for bd emulator the options are (none;unavailable).

-----

nevermind, fixed!

3. masterpad

Newcomer masterpad Advanced Member

Cameroon
    Hello everybody

i just bought a PS3 Slim the serie is something like CH..200... something. The console runs with a Custom Firmware and i can see the multiman logo in the games column.
    i am really a noobs not only in PS3 HAck but always in ps3 , because this is my first time to own a pS3. i have already strated to check the web and i think i have the last custom firmware and the last multiman since i found a PES2015 in my internal HDD .

I am familliar with the general hack scene, especialy the Wii and the DS. And i am aware of things that should be generaly avoid when dealing with hacked console.

But the PS3's hack universe looks really mysty to me. That's why i need some common hint and advices about multiman and the ps3.

my main purpose are:
    - the homebrew scene, i am really interest in the homebrews scene (media player, HD comic player), i ABSOLUTELY want to use linux on PS3
    - to play backups of bluray games (most solo action/adventure,RPG,platform games) that i will buy, backup and trade. I can wait to experience singstar, am i going to have issue or everything and the microphone will works great with the customFW?
    - to use some online features : i am not fan at all of online play like call of duty but i want to experience FF:A Realm Reborn and achievements/trophies in solo games. I know i could be banned and there are method to avoid it.
    - the independant games,; will i still be able to buy them?

thank you

4. Cyan
    OP

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I'm a little behind in the PS3 scene, so my comment is maybe not correct.

last CFW I think is 4.65, but 4.66 is the last Official firmware, so if you want to access online/PSN/Shop, you will need a firmware spoofer to fake the current version and allow access to PSN.
    I know a lot of users are still using their PSN account, synch trophies etc. so it's possible to do it without being banned, but there are recommendation to follow (never launch a homebrew when you are connected! maybe other things to do or not do).

if you have access to PSN, you can buy games and play online.
    You can of course buy Bluray game discs, and dump them to your HDD (internal or external) and play from there. but if you plan to go online, maybe playing from the disc is better. (I don't know if MultiMAN or mounted games launch is detected and used to ban users)

If you are banned, it seems you can unban you console (not your account and bought content) by using a different IDPS (or ConsoleID?) but that's one IDPS from another console and another users who can get banned by your fault, so not a very moral practice for honest people.

I don't have PSN account (yet?), so I will have to get a proper answer to avoid bans too.
    I always played offline until now, but I would like to buy some independent games too.

I donw't know what exists and what's possible or not.
    What is SEN enabler?
    What is CCAPI?
    is PSIDPatch still used/useful?
    same for PSNinja?
    PSN Patch?
    Is MultiMAN safe now and always stealth?
    Is WebMan stealth?
    is ReBug doing all the required patches or it still needs to be done manually ?

masterpad likes this.
  5. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia

SEN enabler is an application that helps you make connecting to the PSN a little safer. You can spoof the ConsoleID/PSID, delete history files, disable CFW syscalls, and probably some other stuff I don't know about.

CCAPI is a plugin that allows you to control your PS3 from a computer. More info here.

Applications such as PSNPatch, SEN Enabler, and WebMAN already do what PSIDPatch does. Spoof ConsoleID/PSID.

PSNinja hasn't been updated since forever. Use PSNPatch/SEN Enabler.

MultiMAN is not safe, and I do not believe using the stealth mode is any safer. Sony can easily detect whether your machine has homebrew loaded on it or not. This is the same case as WebMAN.

I'm not sure what you mean for the last question :P

masterpad and Cyan like this.
  6. Cyan
    OP

France
    thank you.

You say that WebMAN already do what PSIDPatch does, but that is not safe and can be detected.
    So, is launching a game listed on XMB detected as homebrew by sony or just booting the console to XMB not safe because it's already considered running?

If running webman plugin is detectable at boot, it's best to always have the network off at boot (and use ethernet to unplug the cable) until you run a patcher.
    In this case, MultiMAN is maybe better as it doesn't automatically launch/load at boot and you can disconnect PSN before launching it.

So, for online and PSN access :
    boot > disconnect PSN > boot MultiMAN > select game and return to XMB > SEN enabler > connect PSN > Launch game ?
    is that right?

running PSN installed game or bought retail disc also require disabling syscalls first?

What I meant by ReBug doing the patches, is that the changelog says that it allows PSN access so I thought maybe it did all the SEN Enabler, PSID spoof and syscall deactivation automatically when needed. (when launching homebrew it could disconnect PSN automatically, when exiting homebrew and returning back to XMB from homebrew it could disable syscall and reconnect to PSN).

7. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    First of all, accessing PSN from CFW is never safe, no matter how many condoms you put on. You can decrease the risk by purchasing a ConsoleID off a reputable seller, have internet on your PS3 switched off most of the time, delete history files, etc. All Sony really has to do is compare SHAs between system files to figure out if you're on OFW or CFW.

PSIDPatch helps you spoof your ConsoleID/PSID. WebMAN already does this.

I do not believe using WebMAN or MultiMAN will make a difference. As long as you use a CFW, there will always be a risk of being banned.

In my case, here's what I do:

Boot > Mount game/insert disk > call PSNPatch cobra plugin(spoof psid/cid, delete history, disable cfw syscalls, etc) > enable wifi > connect to psn > launch game

After I finish playing, I log out of psn and switch wifi off before turning off my system.

Rebug already allows PSN access, but you will need to do the spoofing and stuff yourself.

masterpad and Cyan like this.
  8. masterpad

Newcomer masterpad Advanced Member

Cameroon
    Telling what you do is very interesting. i am still learning the basics about OFW and ALL the various CFW (what all this is for?!!!)
    but I think that a dedicated topic (it doesn't sems to allready exists) about PlaystationNetwork user's experiences will be great, with people telling for how long and how they use their hacked PS3/CFW on the PSN without been baned. And why not , testimony of people that get banned with details about: CFW used, Games they were playing and their PSN/market usual activities....and so on

I could have start it now since it it's a huge question but i am a newbie that still learning about CEX/DEX and Debug CFW(what the hell is this one for???!!!)

9. hard2hitnc

Newcomer hard2hitnc Newbie

United States
    I have updated multiman to the latest but when i try to play a game (nba 2k15) It will not let me sign in because it says a system update is required before i log into psn. I know I dont want to use the actual PS3 system update so what do I do?

10. Cyan
    OP

France
    which CFW are you using?
    maybe you should update your CFW version, so the game doesn't see that you are outdated.

I don't know if sony released a new version higher than released CFW (I didn't check PS3 scene for a while).

11. khent08

Newcomer khent08 Newbie

Philippines
    Hi, a very noob question since im new to this PS3 homebrew thing.. can i play backup games from a 1tb external hdd? does multiman support NTFS formatted hdd when launching the game from it? im running 4.76 CFW with the latest version of multiman (update: 09-12-15)..

thanks!

12. CheeseCake

Member CheeseCake GBAtemp Regular

United States
    PS3s generally support FAT32 exclusively.
    If you're using a COBRA enabled CFW, it has some partial NTFS support. Whether your specific NTFS external HDD would work is hit or miss.

Last edited by CheeseCake, Nov 4, 2015
  13. Snowmanne

Member Snowmanne GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm having a problem with multiman 4.80.00, it's stuck on mmCM and it quits to the xmb when it tries to check for retro games. I've tried putting it back to multiman but any settings I change doesn't save. I was on 4.80 rebug but didn't like it so I downgraded back to Rogero 3.55 then went to 4.78 Habib. I have reinstalled it but it's the same.

14. ckoofy

Newcomer ckoofy Newbie

Libya
    could u help me i heard that ps4 has Arabic language option
    i have ps3 with multiman 4.80 on it
    and when i play movie with external subtitle file the letters separated and the word's reflected

Last edited by ckoofy, Jul 10, 2016
  15. Cyan
    OP

France
    I'm sorry, I don't know how the new multiman is working.
    You'd have to ask the developer instead, maybe it's a bug and it can fixed it.

16. robilyn

Newcomer robilyn Member

Italy
    I have an old PS3 with KMEAW CFW 3.55 and Multiman 1.15. Can I upgrade Multiman to the latest version (4.80), or I should update the CFW first?
    Thank you.

17. Cyan
    OP

France
    MultiMAN dev (deank) wanted to drop 3.55 few years ago, but lot of users was still on 3.55 so he kept it, but removed all previous firmware (3.41 etc.)

here is all the compatible version for MultiMan 4.80.0 :
    multiMAN supports 3.55 CEX/DEX, 4.21 CEX/DEX, 4.30 CEX/DEX, 4.31 CEX, 4.40 CEX/DEX, 4.41 CEX/DEX, 4.46CEX, 4.46DEX (REX), 4.46 CEX+COBRA 7.0, 4.50 CEX/DEX, 4.53CEX, 4.53 CEX+COBRA 7.0, 4.55 CEX/4.55 CEX, 4.60 CEX/DEX, 4.65 CEX/DEX, 4.66 CEX/DEX, 4.70 CEX/DEX, 4.75/4.76/4.78 CEX/DEX+COBRA, 4.80 CEX

robilyn likes this.
  18. robilyn

Newcomer robilyn Member

Italy
    Thank you! Is it better to uninstall my current version (1.15, very very old) before installing the latest version, or is it not important?

19. Cyan
    OP

France
    I'm also wondering the same thing, I'm still using v2.2 and I think I will keep a backup of my current install and reinstall a clean version 4.x
    I think 4.x is not using the same payload, nor require the BDEMU file anymore, so a clean install is better instead of keeping unused files.
    I guess backup can be useful for the game settings, background music, etc. (but delete the cache first, it can be few GB) just in case I wish to restore the old version or restore game settings if compatible.

robilyn likes this.
  20. robilyn

Newcomer robilyn Member

Italy
    How can I delete the cache and backup the game settings?