clegion

OP
Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Right, so I am looking to buy a new mouse, since welll I just want to, and I just change mmo genre and found out that I don't have enough buttons
Right, so what can you guys suggest to me? I am trying to have it within budget around $70 or so. can be cabled or wireless, must have more than 5 buttons, 5600 dpi or upwards ( I have a small desk).Comfortable for both mmorpg and say TPS

thanks beforehand

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suggest you get better with a keyboard. Do NOT get an overbuttoned piece of shit mouse. They throw ergo feel out of the mix for more buttons, and the buttons are all worthless. I've been playing MMOs for something like 10 years, and most of them i've focused on PVP. Not once have I EVER needed buttons on my mouse. I actually fell for them and got a...damn I can't remember the name, but it was like a Razer Naga but not quite as retarded. Was useless. Your mouse hand should be focusing on control, not combat.
Buttoned "MMO" mice are casual traps, and idiots keep falling for them.

If you want the best mouse on the market for the price, get a Logitech G700 (or a G500 if it's out of your pricerange, but it shouldn't even be $70 in the US). They don't have retarded buttons out the ass, and that's a good thing. The tracking is fantastic, you can easily change the dpi with buttons on the mouse, can be used wirelessly or wired (it has a detachable cable, I just charge it when i'm not playing games), and the ergo feel of the mouse is perfect.
EDIT: Well, actually they DO have 4 buttons on the side. I never really pay attention to them, I know for browsers they're "back and forward" buttons. Never mapped them ingame but i'm pretty sure that's their purpose.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well when I got the Logitech Revolution MX w/ the freewheel, it was $70 but now it's rare I guess and you can get it on amazon for $230 but maybe if you hunt around it could be cheeper. It has motherfucking EIGHT PROGRAMMABLE BUTTONS Which in my opinion is almost enough but I wish there were at least one more.
Side-view-of-the-Logitech-MX-Revolution-mouse,M-9-92817-13.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
As Hells Malice said, buttons on mice is pretty pointless. You're better off getting a Logitech G15 keyboard (only say that as it's what I have :P) or something similar. It has 6 fully programmable keys on the left hand side and 3 modes for each key (there's 3 profile buttons above them) so in total that's 18 different keys/macros. More than you'll get on any mouse. Plus, these keys are FULLY customisable with the G15's software, you can assign them to do almost anything you want; timeable macros, other keys, blocks of text etc. and all of this can is changed automatically depending on what game / application you're in. Plus, it has an led screen that shows in-game stats amongst other things, bet you can't get that on a mouse.
300px-Logitech_G15v2.png

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As Hells Malice said, buttons on mice is pretty pointless. You're better off getting a Logitech G15 keyboard (only say that as it's what I have :P) or something similar. It has 6 fully programmable keys on the left hand side and 3 modes for each key (there's 3 profile buttons above them) so in total that's 18 different keys/macros. More than you'll get on any mouse. Plus, these keys are FULLY customisable with the G15's software, you can assign them to do almost anything you want; timeable macros, other keys, blocks of text etc. and all of this can is changed automatically depending on what game / application you're in. Plus, it has an led screen that shows in-game stats amongst other things, bet you can't get that on a mouse.
300px-Logitech_G15v2.png
But having so many mouse buttons means less fiddling around with keyboard buttons that are hardly isolated at all from the others so there isn't much tactical advantage. I do not understand how people use WASD, I can't instantly find the keys naturally (unless you play by using your ring finger for W and D and your pinky for A.) I can instantly find any key surrounding the arrow keys on a keyboard. I would much rather have isolated buttons on the mouse

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But having so many mouse buttons means less fiddling around with keyboard buttons that are hardly isolated at all from the others so there isn't much tactical advantage. I do not understand how people use WASD, I can't instantly find the keys naturally (unless you play by using your ring finger for W and D and your pinky for A.) I can instantly find any key surrounding the arrow keys on a keyboard. I would much rather have isolated buttons on the mouse

You prefer the mouse buttons instead of the WASD ? O.o seriously?

learning something every day.. hah

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

You prefer the mouse buttons instead of the WASD ? O.o seriously?

learning something every day.. hah
No man, I was saying I play with the arrow keys because the keys surrounding the arrows can easily be found with my hand, rather than trying to fiddle with a field of identical keyboard buttons without much tactical identification. And I would rather OTHER key functions to be mapped to my mouse rather than the programmable buttons all the way at the very left side of the keyboard (by WASD.)

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
--snip--
Seriously? First person I know. :wtf: After a few hours of gaming WASD become a natural resting position for your left hand and it's easy to find. I think your problem is you're using them wrong. For most people your ring finger goes on A, middle finger on W / S (never needed at the same time) and your index finger on D. You then have your little finger free for resting on shift and the middle part on your little finger for ctrl. Plus your thumb is free for space. Your index finger can also easily reach other keys such as E, R, F, G, V, C, X and T and I personally use my ring finger if I need to press Z. Not to mention there's also 5 number keys above all this within easy reach using any finger.
Then, on top off all of that, if you have a gaming keyboard such as the G15, you can quickly move your hand slightly and press any of the 6 fully customisable keys down the left hand side. And if that's not enough move your hand slightly further in order to switch between profiles for these 6 extra keys.

So, why give yourself hand cramps trying to grip, move and press awkwardly positioned buttons that are scattered all over a mouse at the same time? Mice are god for pointing, clicking and about 2-4 macros that need that tiny bit extra response time (in FPS games).

Edit: just counted and I have 40 keys at my disposal with just my left hand, which barely has to move an inch to reach the furthest ones. (and that's not even including the right hand side of the keyboard, just keys to the left of 5-T-G-V) :P

Reactions: 2 people

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Adding to the bit about keyboard buttons being better, I am the proud owner of this beauty:

The WASD keys on my previous keyboards were ergonomic enough, and frankly those are what games are actually designed for. Hoever, the dedicated keypad on this keyboard is glorious, and it's simple as heck to customize what button does what. It's far more useful, in my opinion, than any set of mouse buttons could be. In fact, I tend to avoid using the buttons on my mouse unless absolutely necessary.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
--snip--
Seriously? First person I know. :wtf: After a few hours of gaming WASD become a natural resting position for your left hand and it's easy to find. I think your problem is you're using them wrong. For most people your ring finger goes on A, middle finger on W / S (never needed at the same time) and your index finger on D. You then have your little finger free for resting on shift and the middle part on your little finger for ctrl. Plus your thumb is free for space. Your index finger can also easily reach other keys such as E, R, F, G, V, C, X and T and I personally use my ring finger if I need to press Z. Not to mention there's also 5 number keys above all this within easy reach using any finger.
Then, on top off all of that, if you have a gaming keyboard such as the G15, you can quickly move your hand slightly and press any of the 6 fully customisable keys down the left hand side. And if that's not enough move your hand slightly further in order to switch between profiles for these 6 extra keys.

So, why give yourself hand cramps trying to grip, move and press awkwardly positioned buttons that are scattered all over a mouse at the same time? Mice are god for pointing, clicking and about 2-4 macros that need that tiny bit extra response time (in FPS games).

Edit: just counted and I have 40 keys at my disposal with just my left hand, which barely has to move an inch to reach the furthest ones. (and that's not even including the right hand side of the keyboard, just keys to the left of 5-T-G-V) :P
But when I lift my hand off the wasd keys, it takes a moment to reorient properly. It's so easy to mistake the caps lock for the A because just shifting your fingers to the left (or right, up, down) feels the exact same unless you grope around a little to recalibrate where your fingers should be. I even tried putting notches in the WASD keys so they can be easily identified, but it still doesn't work for me.

ALSO I like using the tip of my middle finger for the up-arrow and lower part of the middle finger for down. This maneuver does not work at all with wasd.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
--snip--

But when I lift my hand off the wasd keys, it takes a moment to reorient properly. It's so easy to mistake the caps lock for the A because just shifting your fingers to the left (or right, up, down) feels the exact same unless you grope around a little to recalibrate where your fingers should be. I even tried putting notches in the WASD keys so they can be easily identified, but it still doesn't work for me.
Unless you constantly keep moving your keyboard it should become natural after frequent use. Plus, it's quite easy to tell if you've gone wrong. If you're 1 key to the left, you can feel the caps lock (the little dip between A and caps lock) and if you're 1 key to the right you can feel the little bump on the F key. Plus, if you usually rest your little finger on shift you can definitely tell when the rest of your hand is in the wrong place.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nah man, I don't have that fancy Caps Lock luxury dip
333y9f5.jpg

My keyboard is under constant movement, there isn't much space on my desk. What if you go TWO over to the right, then you don't have the F bump. The Shift key is a decent argument but I don't trust my pinky, I want to chop it off

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait, so you can afford a $70 mouse but not a cheap $5 keyboard? Every keyboard nowadays has a dip. Honestly, not to be rude or anything but you could really do with a new keyboard looking at that.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Ugh, dirty keys...

My setup:
51pYw4BGYTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41ND60o21OL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41GKGnzX3fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Belkin n52te, Logitech G15 v2 (the v1 was wider, bluer, with a flipup screen, and had 3 rows of macro buttons instead of 1 with 3 profile buttons), and Microsoft SideWinder X8 (wireless mouse, lasts 2-4 weeks per charge).

I don't use the n52te much for normal gaming, only in certain game types like MMOs where I only need a certain number of keys at my fingertips and don't want to risk pressing the wrong key. The keyboard's LCD I find very useful in many games, and the media control buttons are always in use (plus it's useful for diagnostics, to see internal temps/CPU usage/network usage/etc). The mouse I got after my brother stole the X5 and took it to University. It's just the right size for my hand, with adjustable weights and being wireless helps. I have one mousemat on my desk, and that's all the space I get for the mouse, but it's twice enough with the DPI settings (typically on 2000) on a standard 1980x1200 screen (even to reach the other end of the other screen without falling off the mat). Also the forward, backward and middle click (wheel) buttons are enough mouse buttons for me in any game.

Regarding WASD... whilst my keyboard does have the caps lock dip, I don't need it. So long as the caps lock is elongated (longer than tab) and my pinky rests on the left shift key, I naturally find WASD without thinking about it.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Ugh, dirty keys...

My setup:

Belkin n52te, Logitech G15 v2 (the v1 was wider, bluer, with a flipup screen, and had 3 rows of macro buttons instead of 1 with 3 profile buttons), and Microsoft SideWinder X8 (wireless mouse, lasts 2-4 weeks per charge).

I don't use the n52te much for normal gaming, only in certain game types like MMOs where I only need a certain number of keys at my fingertips and don't want to risk pressing the wrong key. The keyboard's LCD I find very useful in many games, and the media control buttons are always in use (plus it's useful for diagnostics, to see internal temps/CPU usage/network usage/etc). The mouse I got after my brother stole the X5 and took it to University. It's just the right size for my hand, with adjustable weights and being wireless helps. I have one mousemat on my desk, and that's all the space I get for the mouse, but it's twice enough with the DPI settings (typically on 2000) on a standard 1980x1200 screen (even to reach the other end of the other screen without falling off the mat). Also the forward, backward and middle click (wheel) buttons are enough mouse buttons for me in any game.

Regarding WASD... whilst my keyboard does have the caps lock dip, I don't need it. So long as the caps lock is elongated (longer than tab) and my pinky rests on the left shift key, I naturally find WASD without thinking about it.

Wow, that's very similar to mine, except I don't have the Belkin and mine's a Sidewinder X3, not X8. :P
Yeah, I agree about the screen, it's extremely useful, I usually have mine on CPU (4 bars for 4 cores - pretty neat IMO) / RAM except when in games that support it (Civilization games are a great use). Also, I don't think I've changed the sound on my PC using the sound icon in ages, i nearly always use the volume controls on the G15. :yay: (the mute key is also convenient. :creep: )

And I agree about the WASD thing, the caps lock thing isn't even necessary. In fact, I'm so used to this position from gaming a lot of my time browsing my hands will rest on WASD. It's like home row for me, but more of a 'home group'.

clegion

OP
Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I already got a nostromo though, and this is a laptop . I know I am not going to buy something like Razer Naga with its 15 buttons. Looking to something more liek g700/g500 side

thiefb0ss

Trophies
Website
thiefboss.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Right, so I am looking to buy a new mouse, since welll I just want to, and I just change mmo genre and found out that I don't have enough buttons
Right, so what can you guys suggest to me? I am trying to have it within budget around $70 or so. can be cabled or wireless, must have more than 5 buttons, 5600 dpi or upwards ( I have a small desk).Comfortable for both mmorpg and say TPS

thanks beforehand
If I were you I would just buy a cheap mouse that feels nice.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well when I got the Logitech Revolution MX w/ the freewheel, it was $70 but now it's rare I guess and you can get it on amazon for $230 but maybe if you hunt around it could be cheeper. It has motherfucking EIGHT PROGRAMMABLE BUTTONS Which in my opinion is almost enough but I wish there were at least one more.

Right there with you. The MX Revolution was a fucking piece of work, absolutely amazing for a mouse. I ended up giving it to my little brother, though - rear thumb button (back) lost it's clickyness and became squishy, left and right would double click occasionally, scroll left and right tilt nearly stopped working altogether, the charging system for the mouse is terrible. But it is absolutely the second most comfortable mouse I've EVER used.

10-20-10-rat9600055.jpg

I am using the Cyborg R.A.T.9 for my mouse. Goes up to 5100 DPI, iirc. The range on this covers my entire house, from one corner to another. This is by far absolutely the most comfortable mouse I have ever used, tracking is fantastic on it, weight customization is awesome, not too many buttons but enough to customize in an mmo (plus that little button to the left of the left mouse button on that ridge sticking up is a profile switcher, switch between any of three different button presets on the fly). But for the $150 USD that this thing cost, I'd honestly say save yourself the $50 and go for the $100 R.A.T.7. It's identical, except it's wired instead of wireless. See those two batteries in the bottom right corner? They last a single day before dying. For an idea of what these parts are though, top left corner is the receiver/charger, center is obviously mouse, right side are the palm rests that go over the silver track (I use the bottom, stock one, top one is same but texturized, middle one is raised and feels so weird). Bottom right are the batteries, stuff on the left are the pinky rests, I use the bottom large one (has an extra teflon skid pad on it because of the size). That tube holds extra weights, goes in the charger for storage. That metal rod, spring, and plastic disk hold the weights in place - if using all of the weights, you don't use the spring, and the metal rod also lets you change the pinky rest and change the tilt and how far forward the thumb rest is. That tiny black screw holds on the pinky rest. The palm rests slide forward and back.

Despite the shit battery life, I don't at all regret the $150 for the 9. It also came (still does perhaps?) with the G.L.I.D.E.7 gaming surface, a giant mousepad that's like 13"x18", and it's pretty nice, as long as ou order through the madcatz store.

I also got the Cyborg V.7 Gaming keyboard, here:

v7keymain2.png

$80 USD, don't waste your money. I don't regret it but there are much better, competitivel priced boards. It's rubber dome, not mechanical; wired; backlit selection sucks; "metal capped" keys are "shiny painted". It's big, though, which I like. Also, the cyborg button up top disables the windows keys.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying