Hacking Feedback Modded Nintendo Switch Fails to Load Games For No Reason

duds2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchased a pre-modded Nintendo Switch last year, took it out of the box, played a few games and let it sit around for several months before turning it on again.
Upon booting the machine, none of the games would launch anymore. Could someone please help me getting the games to launch again?

The error:
"Unable to start software.
Return to the HOME Menu and try again."

Only option: OK

The system runs perfectly fine outside of this. Thank you in advanced.

duds2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was there a system update done automatically perhaps?
I'm not sure that there was. The shop owner did everything and I simply played one of the games (Mario Kart 8).
I did not connect it to the Internet.
I probably launched a few other games to see if they worked and they did after purchase.
Now none of them launch.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go into settings and find out the firmware. But I would probably recommend to go ahead and update it manually that means you'll have to find the firmware 17.0 on the internet (google search) and update to latest atmosphere https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases and then update the patches here https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatches-for-atmosphere-hekate-fss0-fusee-package3.571543/

Then retry

Here's a guide https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/updating/

But if you need more help ask on this thread. Keep in mind you'll have to repeat this process every time you update.
Post automatically merged:

Does your Switch have a modchip installed or was it the version 1 that used a softmod? If it's softmod you have to inject payload with TegraRCM or other payload injector every time you boot your Switch or else the games won't work.

Last edited by Jayinem,
Reactions: BigOnYa and duds2

duds2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Wait a minute does your Switch have a modchip installed or was it the version 1 that used a softmod?
I'm unsure at the moment. I do think it was an older model, because it was cheaper.

Last edited by duds2,
Reactions: BigOnYa

duds2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Current system: 14.1.2
J2aqyAMK.jpg

-_GqKHUI.jpg

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you used it before and the games worked did you inject a payload using TegraRCM? Or did you just turn on the Switch and the games worked?

If you could tell me the serial number I can tell you what kind of mod it is.

duds2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you used it before and the games worked did you inject a payload using TegraRCM? Or did you just turn on the Switch and the games worked?
I just turned it on and the games worked.
I used to mod consoles for many generations, but I haven't owned a console in about a decade. So I bought it off of someone who said they already handled it.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your console is on network Nintendo would be so kind as to update it for you in the background so you will have the latest without having to wait.

Thank you Nintendo. You are the best.

If you don't want this excellent service you have to block Nintendo servers.

Thank you Nintendo again for not causing permanent damage unlike some other console which can't be modded again when this happens. Nintendo rules. Find a guide that apply to your console and follow it and your Switch will be up and running CFW.

Last edited by TomSwitch,
  • Haha
Reactions: duds2 and kidkat210

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got some info off your pic of the back of the Switch HAC-S-JXE-C3 I'm pretty sure that's an unpatched Switch meaning you need to get into RCM and send payload, but would need the full serial number (not pictured) it usually is something like XAJ400490XXXXX. It is from 2018 where some Switches were patched and some weren't.

How to Find the Serial Number on Nintendo Switch
  1. From the HOME Menu, select System Settings.
  2. Scroll down the menu on the left-hand side and select System, then Serial Numbers.

Reactions: duds2

duds2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got some info off your pic of the back of the Switch HAC-S-JXE-C3 I'm pretty sure that's an unpatched Switch meaning you need to get into RCM and send payload, but would need the full serial number (not pictured) it usually is something like XAJ400490XXXXX. It is from 2018 where some Switches were patched and some weren't.

How to Find the Serial Number on Nintendo Switch
  1. From the HOME Menu, select System Settings.
  2. Scroll down the menu on the left-hand side and select System, then Serial Numbers.
XAJ400462XXXXX
From the picture, OP is not running Atmosphere, so only legit games would work. Maybe his Mario Kart 8 is legit?
That pic shows you are running OFW 14.1, not CFW. You need a Jig and a payload launcher (TegraGUI- on PC) and boot into CFW.
The guy I bought it from asked me which games I wanted loaded onto the system. They're not legit.
It has Tinfoil on it. I do remember some mention of "Atmosphere", but I'm not sure how to check for it.
When I click on Tinfoil it says, "This software is not currently on the console. Please redownload the software to continue. If the software was originally downloaded to a microSD card, please cancel. turn off the console and insert that microSD card."

Again, I don't know much about Nintendo Switch modding at all.
Thanks again for all of the help, everyone. You guys are great.

Last edited by duds2,

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guy I bought it from asked me which games I wanted loaded onto the system. They're not legit.
It has Tinfoil on it. I do remember some mention of "Atmosphere", but I'm not sure how to check for it.

You wont see Atmosphere (CFW) unless you are booting into Custom Firmware (CFW). OH BTW, edit your prior post here and delete your serial number, and dont share the full numbers, share like this XAJ400462XXXXX

Last edited by BigOnYa,
Reactions: Jayinem

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just looked up your serial number.

👍 Your console is not patched. Hooray!
Possible firmware version out of the box: 4.1.0
What can you do now?

This proves for a fact your switch is not patched and you have to send the payload or else the games won't work. The guy that sold you the Switch didn't do anything but add the games. But he didn't do anything to make it where YOU can access CFW on your Switch, only that you have a a Switch that doesn't require a modchip and can do a softmod. You will need a way to get into RCM and then send payloads. A jig or a paperclip can accomplish this.

https://switch.homebrew.guide/gettingstarted/checkingrcm.html
https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-mods-to-enter-rcm.502145/

Last edited by Jayinem,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
XAJ4004*******

When I click on Tinfoil it says, "This software is not currently on the console. Please redownload the software to continue. If the software was originally downloaded to a microSD card, please cancel. turn off the console and insert that microSD card."

Your serial is in the "possibly patched" zone. It's probably not patched, anyway. Do you have a jig? That's the way to inject a payload if you don't have autoRCM installed. To see if you're running Atmosphere (CFW), your firmware screen should look like this. The Atmosphere version follows the firmware version.

Last edited by Dust2dust,

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The seller was kind of an ass to not explain any of this to you, because he himself had to enter RCM to enter CFW to put hacked games on your Switch. But any game that did work for you was likely bought legitimately by the owner. (him or whoever sold/gave him the Switch)

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your serial is in the "possibly patched" zone. It's probably not patched, anyway. Do you have a jig? That's the way to inject a payload if you don't have autoRCM installed. To see if you're running Atmosphere (CFW), your firmware screen should look like this. The Atmosphere version follows the firmware version.
Please edit the reply so OP actual serial number not shown, thanks

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No on ismyswitchpatched.com I entered XA4J from the drop down menu and the first 6 numbers 004629 which is all the site needs and it says it is unpatched. Try it yourself ismyswitchpatched.com

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste