Hardware Missed opportunity by Nintendo for the 3DS and Wii-U

Would you like to use a 3DS as an optional Wii Tablet controller?

• Yes, I would like Nintendo's systems to be able to work together

Votes: 71 64.5%
  • No, keep the systems seperate

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • It does not matter to me

Votes: 26 23.6%

• Total voters

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
bullet_star_rated.png
Yes, I would like Nintendo's systems to be able to work together

Absolutely. After last year's speech of how they want the 3DS and the console to blend together more (repeated this year as well), I kinda expected it.With the contol buttons being pretty much exactly the same, it would certainly be possible (I admit I don't know anything about the technical requirements).
So...yeah. A missed opportunity. :-\

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I would love to see inter-console play with the 3DS and WiiU, like the Vita and PS3, but using the 3DS as a controller doesn't really make sense.
In case you didn't notice, the 3DS is a controller.
How is it one?
The controls are a part of the system, and because they the controls are connected to the system and they control the system, the system is a controller.

Logic'd, but what I meant was that the two screens on the 3DS along with the design of the system would make it awkward to use as a controller for the WiiU

1c3_5n0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I would love to see inter-console play with the 3DS and WiiU, like the Vita and PS3, but using the 3DS as a controller doesn't really make sense.
In case you didn't notice, the 3DS is a controller.
How is it one?
The controls are a part of the system, and because they the controls are connected to the system and they control the system, the system is a controller.

Logic'd, but what I meant was that the two screens on the 3DS along with the design of the system would make it awkward to use as a controller for the WiiU
Ohhhh, thanks. And yeah, I don't think it would be able to be used as a controller for the Wii U, even if it could be one, I'd definetly still go with the Wii U controller.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Considering how Nintendo has mentioned the possibility of using the 3DS as an alternative to a UPad in response to doubts about the amount of UPads that could be used with the Wii U (remember, this was before the use of 2 pads was decided on), I think maybe we MIGHT get such functionality in a 3DS revision. But only time will tell

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well, the DS was already a Wii controller, no?

The 3DS is more than capable of being a Wii U controller. It has screens, actual buttons and analog stick, IR and even 6-axis motion.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, for the 3DS to work as a wii-u 'pad' it would be best for it to have bluetooth. The only other (reasonable) wireless communication protocol is wifi, but even that idea is completely flawed with latency and a saturated band.

I think Nintendo should have had their console and handheld departments work together to create a unity among their devices that would have made purchasing Nintendo products more exciting.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I've never understood why, other than in absolute emergencies, you'd want to cause additional wear and tear on your handheld's controlls and touchscreen by using it as a sub-standard controller for a different system.

If you damage a contoller you have to replace a controller. If you damage your 3DS while using it as a controller you need to replace a whole console!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well...since not everyone will have wiimotes, it would be a shame to make people who have a 3DS and a wiiU have to force to buy a wiimote (and perhaps even a nunchuck or classic controller (pro) ). Also: since now up to two gamepads can be used at the same time, how will it impact the games? Surely some games will USE it, but since an additional gamepad won't be cheap, it's not an illogical thing to want to try it out first. A 3DS could be handy in that regard.

I'm not so sure how sub-standard the 3DS would be to the gamepad. It'll be less convenient, yes, but with just pictures it's hard to guess how much.

Lastly...isn't the risk of damaging your stuff always present if you use it? Why would you break your controller while playing a wiiU game to begin w...
*thinks of that wii fit U trampoline game*
*imagines people making jumps on the balance board, less than a step away from the 3DS*
*reminds himself that the advertisement didn't show that SMALL CHILDREN will also play this game*
*reminds himself of the goal of that game, which is to land ON THE RED DOT, which is shown ON THE GAMEPAD...RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BALANCE BOARD*

Okay...nevermind. Skip that last remark. I can see your concerns on 3DS'es ending up broken. It doesn't convince me that it isn't a missed opportunity.
(or perhaps it isn't...perhaps nintendo will bring out a 3DS "game cartridge" in the future that contains a bluetooth module and that'll allow syncing of mii's, highscores...and using it as a gamepad. There's no reason to give away things for free when you can hype up people to pay for it).

Oh, and...@everyone laughing at the mental image of a toddler jumping on a 3DS (or gamepad, for that matter): I wish I was joking. I really was. During wii tennis, a friend and me almost broke two wiimotes when our swings just hit each other, and my brother managed to break a lamp. Worse: when I purchased my own television and I told the salesman my main use would be for gaming on a wii, he mentioned they selled a sort of windowshield that protected it against thrown wiimotes. Yes...wiimotes end up cracking the television so often that there's really such a thing on the market.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
perhaps nintendo will bring out a 3DS "game cartridge" in the future that contains a bluetooth module and that'll allow syncing of mii's, highscores...and using it as a gamepad. There's no reason to give away things for free when you can hype up people to pay for it).
I can't believe I didn't think of that myself! :blink:

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure i just read the same thing twice in one post...
Anyway even though it doesn't have bluetooth, the 3DS does have wireless and infra-red.
Wi-fi isn't really an alternative...

Charon

Trophies
Website
saiph-charon.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Slovenia
Wait a sec.
How sure are you that the 3DS wont be able to interact with wiiU games?

I thought it would be a given. I mean, simply if they make a console pokemon game, you gotta be able to trade your guys up there....
But mostly I wish there would be a new proper FFCC that employed up to 2 gamepads and 2 3DS for an amazing 4 player experience again Q_Q

So this is not even possible then?
How did the DS communicate with the Wii?

In the wii, the only games I know that used the ds were Pokemon Battle Revolution and a wiiware wario ware. Really a pity.

And FFCC Echoes of time O:
It was the closest to the FFCC on NGC experience we got...although everyone with the DS had to buy the game too..

RPG Hacker

Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think using 3DS as controller for Wii U would be pointless. The Wii U has an HD resolution and the WIi U Gamepad - while not exactly being an HD screen - does display the game's HD screens in a scaled down version. Now imagine displaying this HD screen on the 3DS' small touchscreen. Not only is it not even a widescreen, but it would be totally blurry and stuff. Also by touching one pixel on the 3DS touchscreen you would touch multiple pixels on the actual game, which would make this pointless. Therefore it's simply not possible to have this kind of interactivity between the two systems. Maybe if they make a 3DS XL, but even then I doubt it'll even have a higher resolution.

BornInBlack

GangnamTemp
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soggypizza.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Would it not be possible to do what already happens through 'Download Play' with the wii u?
Temporarily installing necessary files/gfx into the rom, or possibly for added space- a temporary 3ds channel [like a demo] to the system or SD.
About HD resolutions on the screen: anyone willing to connect these 2 hardwares and develop for that in the first place would likely only use resolutions the 3ds is capable of for the 3ds portions of the game

i see no reason why the 3ds couldnt be used as a controller, its really a matter developing for and around it
-sidenote: i remember miyamoto saying last year that this was possible, but that using the 3ds meant no online

perhaps nintendo will bring out a 3DS "game cartridge" in the future that contains a bluetooth module and that'll allow syncing of mii's, highscores...and using it as a gamepad. There's no reason to give away things for free when you can hype up people to pay for it).

THIS - YES - worth the $$ imo
plus this could solve the 'no online' bit miyamoto talked about

EDIT: who wants to bet the 3DS XL will have bluetooth built in??

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it. Im pretty sure they dont need Bluetooth to let the Wii U and 3DS communicate. If that was the case then how could the DS and 3DS both transfer Miis from the Wii when neither has Bluetooth? Plus, the 3DS would make a shit Gamepad anyway. No dual sticks, no 720p screen, even the XL screens are smaller then the Gamepads huge one, also what about NFC? 3DS cant do NFC. Nintendo didnt miss anything here, they just didnt want to turn the 3DS into a shitty controller.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it. Im pretty sure they dont need Bluetooth to let the Wii U and 3DS communicate. If that was the case then how could the DS and 3DS both transfer Miis from the Wii when neither has Bluetooth? Plus, the 3DS would make a shit Gamepad anyway. No dual sticks, no 720p screen, even the XL screens are smaller then the Gamepads huge one, also what about NFC? 3DS cant do NFC. Nintendo didnt miss anything here, they just didnt want to turn the 3DS into a shitty controller.
On that subject, what exactly DOES the 3DS use for streetpass and local multiplayer? Clearly not wi-fi, since neither of those features are limited by the availability of wi-fi, or lack thereof

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
On that subject, what exactly DOES the 3DS use for streetpass and local multiplayer? Clearly not wi-fi, since neither of those features are limited by the availability of wi-fi, or lack thereof
Exactly what Nintendo calls it, Streetpass.
Seeing as the Wii will also have a Streepass addon from what I recall reading, it could very well be possible to connect to the Wii U that way, also, Streepass is enabled by wireless. Wireless connectivity could be possible with the Wii U, the same way that games can be played multiplayer locally on the 3DS and DS, I don't see why it wouldn't allow to send info to the handheld, the basics are somewhat the same I believe.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Exactly what Nintendo calls it, Streetpass.
Well, yeah of course, but it's gotta be based on SOME pre-existing technology, unless Nintendo developed their own.
It's wireless based technology... Something similar was used on Dragon Quest IX.

"Wireless telecommunications is the transfer of information between two or more points that are not physically connected. Distances can be short, such as a few metres for television remote control, or as far as thousands or even millions of kilometres for deep-space radio communications. It encompasses various types of fixed, mobile, and portable two-way radios, cellular telephones, personal digital assistants (PDAs), and wireless networking. Other examples of wireless technology include GPS units, Garage door openers or garage doors, wireless computer mice, keyboards and Headset (audio), headphones, radio receivers, satellite television, broadcast television and cordless telephones."

Streetpass uses the first type mentioned I believe, since it activates once the consoles get close.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5