Hardware Missed opportunity by Nintendo for the 3DS and Wii-U

Would you like to use a 3DS as an optional Wii Tablet controller?

• Yes, I would like Nintendo's systems to be able to work together

Votes: 71 64.5%
  • No, keep the systems seperate

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • It does not matter to me

Votes: 26 23.6%

• Total voters

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would love to see inter-console play with the 3DS and WiiU, like the Vita and PS3, but using the 3DS as a controller doesn't really make sense.
In case you didn't notice, the 3DS is a controller.
How is it one?
picard-facepalm.jpg

I actually loled at that question.
Anyway, hmm, 3DS as a controller. It would work if it was connectivity à la gamecube for example. (Like how the gameboy adv. did with it)
But if you'ew talking NFC, or even transferring the screen of the TV to the 3DS or something like that, I just don't see that happening.

D

Deleted_171835

Exactly what Nintendo calls it, Streetpass.
Well, yeah of course, but it's gotta be based on SOME pre-existing technology, unless Nintendo developed their own.
Well for DS-DS communications (Download Play, Pictochat, etc.), they use a proprietary "Ni-Fi" protocol

As for Streetpass,

While StreetPass is enabled, the 3DS constantly sends out Probe Requests with an SSID of "Nintendo_3DS_continuous_scan_000". Unlike beacons, which are actively advertising the device's presence, the 3DS is essentially actively looking for other 3DSes. This design is likely to limit impact to non-3DS WiFi capable devices. Each Probe Request contains basic information about that 3DS, including an identifier, and active StreetPass services. If another 3DS is in range, the second 3DS (#2) will respond with a Probe Response, to which the original 3DS (#1), and of the receiving device with every frame thereafter, will respond with an 802.11 Acknowledgement. 3DS(#1) then sends an 802.11 Action frame, as well as an additional Probe Request. The second 3DS sends back another Probe Response that begins the encrypted exchange between the two devices.
http://3dbrew.org/wi...rotocol_Version

Reactions: 2 people

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, the DS was already a Wii controller, no?

The 3DS is more than capable of being a Wii U controller. It has screens, actual buttons and analog stick, IR and even 6-axis motion.
And a camera, don't forget the camera. XD
The only things the 3DS doesn't have for it is a FWVGA (Full Wide Video Graphics Array) touchscreen and NFC. Other than that, it may be possible and nintendo hasn't ruled out the possibility.

D

Deleted_171835

@[member='DeadlyFoez']: Downscaling a 1920x1080 or 1280x720 image to 400x240 (3DS resolution) would not be pretty. You would need a 16:9 resolution such as 384x216 which would make the image look even smaller. The 3DS wasn't designed for this kind of connectivity so too many sacrifices would have to be made.

Well, the DS was already a Wii controller, no?

The 3DS is more than capable of being a Wii U controller. It has screens, actual buttons and analog stick, IR and even 6-axis motion.
And a camera, don't forget the camera. XD
The only things the 3DS doesn't have for it is a FWVGA (Full Wide Video Graphics Array) touchscreen and NFC. Other than that, it may be possible and nintendo hasn't ruled out the possibility.
Uh..FWVGA just refers to the resolution. Just say 854×480.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
@[member='DeadlyFoez']: Downscaling a 1920x1080 or 1280x720 image to 400x240 (3DS resolution) would not be pretty. You would need a 16:9 resolution such as 384x216 which would make the image look even smaller. The 3DS wasn't designed for this kind of connectivity so too many sacrifices would have to be made.
Well, do you think that the wii-u tablet is going to be downscaled or that it will just be rendered for that resolution? I'm sure that it is just going to be rendered for that resolution, and since that is most likely the case, nintendo could have made it possible to be rendered for the 3DS's resolution.

D

Deleted_171835

Well, do you think that the wii-u tablet is going to be downscaled or that it will just be rendered for that resolution? I'm sure that it is just going to be rendered for that resolution, and since that is most likely the case, nintendo could have made it possible to be rendered for the 3DS's resolution.
Well for the Wii U, I think that will be up to the developer. Downscaled would add some free AA but if it's rendered to that res, it'll be sharper. But even in that case, the Wii U's tablet controller has a higher resolution (854x480). Downscaling it to a lower resolution for the 3DS would just make the image all blurry.

Yes they could render it at a specific resolution for the 3DS display but you wouldn't really enjoy playing Arkham City or Assassin's Creed 3 at 384x216.

Think this,
45wzH.jpg

vs.
ZOHet.jpg

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I think if you want to incorporate BluTooth into a device you need to pay royalties to the makers of the Blutooth system. Nintendo most likely did not incorporate this into the 3DS to avoid having to spend money. Also, I gotta say this, I'm sorry, but Nintendo was saying how "The compitition is coping them" well, what about this "Remote Play" the Wii U has? You can take that tablet and have it serve as the main display. That sounds an awful lot like the PS3 to PSP/PS VITA remote play feature. Only difference is that it won't have wi-fi remote play so as soon as you leave the range of the console, you lose the ability to use the remote play.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The only problem I could think of would involve decompressing the video streams onto the 3DS, but then if Nintendo made a gamecard to implement bluetooth connectivity to the WiiU, they could also incorporate decompression hardware into it too.

In all honesty, I think it would be pretty cool to be able to play WiiU games on the 3DS through this connectivity (top screen for what would have been on the TV, and bottom screen for what would have been on the WiiU gamepad). Smaller screen, yes, but there is also advantages............like 3D.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Smaller screen, yes, but there is also advantages............like 3D.
Unless I'm mistaken, making a 3D game isn't as simple as displaying it on a 3D screen. Each of the Wii U games played on the 3DS would have to be specifically designed with 3D to display in 3D on the 3DS. And honestly, how many developers are going to develop 3D as a feature for a game that some people MIGHT play on the 3DS?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if you want to incorporate BluTooth into a device you need to pay royalties to the makers of the Blutooth system. Nintendo most likely did not incorporate this into the 3DS to avoid having to spend money. Also, I gotta say this, I'm sorry, but Nintendo was saying how "The compitition is coping them" well, what about this "Remote Play" the Wii U has? You can take that tablet and have it serve as the main display. That sounds an awful lot like the PS3 to PSP/PS VITA remote play feature. Only difference is that it won't have wi-fi remote play so as soon as you leave the range of the console, you lose the ability to use the remote play.
1) Gba to gamecube.
2) Even then, it isn't a loose copy while bashing it in the past.
3) They are copied the most rather you acknowledge that or not.
4) It a controller not a portable that comes with every system. Devs didn't have to guess or hope for every owner to own both a console and portable.
5) Honestly this has nothing to do with the topic.

While I did say yes in the poll since it just gives another option, I didn't think it's a must have.

Smaller screen, yes, but there is also advantages............like 3D.
Unless I'm mistaken, making a 3D game isn't as simple as displaying it on a 3D screen. Each of the Wii U games played on the 3DS would have to be specifically designed with 3D to display in 3D on the 3DS. And honestly, how many developers are going to develop 3D as a feature for a game that some people MIGHT play on the 3DS?
I think (I'm guessing) as long as it has 3d support on the TV it may work. It is anyone guess on how the end result would be on the 3ds screens.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I think (I'm guessing) as look as it has 3d support on the TV it may work. How the end result would be on the 3ds screens is anyone guess.
But even so, the game would have to be designed to have 3D. Having a 3D TV doesn't magically make games and movies play in 3D. They have to be designed with it. If you have a copy of the original 2D-only version of Batman: Arkham Asylum, it doesn't matter if you have a 3D TV and 3D capable console (360 or PS3): The game isn't going to play in 3D. But if you have the game of the year edition of Arkham Asylum, which has a 3D option built in, then it'll work fine.

As for the Wii U being 3D capable, I hope so... they've mentioned it only once to my knowledge, and it was in passing like "it's not our focus right now, but we might do it."

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think (I'm guessing) as look as it has 3d support on the TV it may work. How the end result would be on the 3ds screens is anyone guess.
But even so, the game would have to be designed to have 3D. Having a 3D TV doesn't magically make games and movies play in 3D. They have to be designed with it. If you have a copy of the original 2D-only version of Batman: Arkham Asylum, it doesn't matter if you have a 3D TV and 3D capable console (360 or PS3): The game isn't going to play in 3D. But if you have the game of the year edition of Arkham Asylum, which has a 3D option built in, then it'll work fine.

As for the Wii U being 3D capable, I hope so... they've mentioned it only once to my knowledge, and it was in passing like "it's not our focus right now, but we might do it."
Well they don't seem to be since, 3D TVs are so rare and they're not that popular. They're not gonna force customers to switch TV's.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That pretty much what they said and I'm guessing it will. I mean the 3d of the ps360 was added later down the lifeline of those consoles.
I see no reason why they wouldn't.
Well they don't seem to be since, 3D TVs are so rare and they're not that popular. They're not gonna force customers to switch TV's.
Except the games are 3D and 2D, not just one or the other. Forcing seem to be void and not a factor.

Batman had different version of the 3d as well, so I'm guessing other games do too.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
What KingVamp said. The 3D feature in games is just a toggle-able option, not a "forced" feature that required you to play it in 3D. Example, Gears of War 3 has 3D compatibility built in, but it plays on my dinky little 4:3 non-flatscreen 2D TV just fine.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
On that subject, what exactly DOES the 3DS use for streetpass and local multiplayer? Clearly not wi-fi, since neither of those features are limited by the availability of wi-fi, or lack thereof

It makes use of the wireless chipset in the 3DS. Just in the same way you don't need to be connected to a WiFi access point to play local multiplayer games.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There were people mentioning that their Bluetooth devices would occasionally pick up signals from DS systems.
Here on GBAtemp somewhere, check the 30-50 pages on the 3DS hacking theories thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol