• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Minneapolis to Abolish the Police

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol is America really that much of a third world?
Yes. A few days without the Police is enough to make a city look like Syria. Even with the Cops, they were rioting, looting, destroying, and burning down random buildings, to the point where they needed the military to step in. I seen this all first hand, lol. This convinced me that if the Cops weren't around to deter them, it would turn into complete Anarchy within a few hours.

Last edited by Viri,

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the crime rate of minneapolis hasnt gone down much in the past 30 years, but people want to get rid of the police LOL. Anybodys thats ever seen Minneapolis knows that there isnt much going on there, its GHETTO. There are nice areas but very few and far between. It looks like most of the protesters were college students who live in that area but they never took their eyes off their phones to actually see how bad it is there. Its gonna get even worse, in 3-4 years another "propaganda story" will arise again and stir the next generation of Zoomers to destroy the city even more. Its all an effort to try and Re-Gentrify the area again. Most people from Minneapolis moved to Coon Rapids or Lakeville or Minnetonka and there isnt much left besides the husk of 1990s "Murderapolis"

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes. A few days without the Police is enough to make a city look like Syria. Even with the Cops, they were rioting, looting, destroying, and burning down random buildings, to the point where they needed the military to step in. I seen this all first hand, lol. This convinced me that if the Cops weren't around to deter them, it would turn into complete Anarchy within a few hours.
People were rioting in response to police brutality and abuses of power...how tone deaf can you get?

If the only choices are anarchy or an authoritarian police state, I'll take the former every time. But those aren't the only choices, and as I've already explained in this thread, defunding the police is not the same thing as taking no public safety measures whatsoever. As it stands now the police are a massive waste of taxpayer dollars, and they're easily replaceable. We don't need to spend another five decades trying to argue/negotiate with the corrupt police union when we could have an entirely new safety force up and running efficiently within one.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: MrCokeacola

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People were rioting in response to police brutality and abuses of power...how tone deaf can you get?
My city's Police had nothing to do with it. Yet we still had people destroying my city, and burning down shit for no reason. It took the Military + Cops to get things under control.
f the only choices are anarchy or an authoritarian police state, I'll take the former every time.
Lol, you'd be dead within the first few weeks if all the Cops went away. You'd be begging for them to come back. Your city would become Syria quite fast.
defunding the police is not the same thing as taking no public safety measures whatsoever
Wow, Minneapolis sure is a shit hole, with lots of crime, let's defund the Cops!

Reactions: gamesquest1

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has everyone in here an uncle thats in the force, or why has this become such a heated debate? Why are so many people into local politics all of a sudden? For maybe two weeks, that is the exact time until the outrage dies down, and everyone realizes, that it might be easier to redesign the police (in that one town), just to get non reformable parts out, while redesigning. Those officers had complaints against them stacked, even prior to the incidence. At which point you are looking at the management and checks (of checks and balances) again. And its far easier to (f.e. (dont know if this will be the case)) fire the entire force, and then make them reapply, than to change the internal culture, from an organizational level.

So many people die, because they are running from the cops, also is a fallacy. Running away from something is not a danger to the cops life. And 'use excessive force' not the signing off part of getting a new case call.

I see about ten people in here that all of a sudden have become experts in 'institutional sociology' while some of them seem to be in fear of a Mad Max scenario... :) Those were your first riots on TV, then? ;)

edit: Oh, I just saw, that in my local (european) newspaper, "Trump is standing behind the police force" is todays headline. Might that be why? ;) (Stop treating politics like a football game, or console war - its not even election season yet. (Or has it already begone..?))

(edit: For 'what are non reformable parts' in a police force, as was said above, watch the latest John Oliver video.)

so many things you said didnt make sense, and also you should rethink some of those things. Running away from the cops can be a danger to others, especially an armed perp. Re-hiring and all the defunding stuff will only make the police even more laughable. Paying Police mcdonalds wages to put their life on the line everyday will only attract the worst of the worst to get hired.

Reactions: gamesquest1

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
My city's Police had nothing to do with it. Yet we still had people destroying my city, and burning down shit for no reason. It took the Military + Cops to get things under control.
The outrage was national for good reason, George Floyd's murder was by no stretch of the imagination an isolated incident.

Lol, you'd be dead within the first few weeks if all the Cops went away.
The Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone has been established for more than a few weeks already. Not one death/murder has occurred inside of it. Kinda undercuts your argument here.

Wow, Minneapolis sure is a shit hole, with lots of crime, let's defund the Cops!
Yes, let's. As it stands currently, cops are expected to go way above and beyond their job description in a lot of scenarios, so having no mental healthcare infrastructure, for example, is just as unfair to them in that sense. Rather than continuing to waste money on the militarization of the police, we need community and welfare services in place which reduce the need for a heavy police presence.

Defunding can mean in part or in whole. If in whole, like I already said, cities are able to establish new public safety organizations which circumvent the need to deal with a corrupt police union which labels every murder as justified.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: MrCokeacola

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
51 years ago and in fucking "Montreal" of all goddamn places. Hardly comparable to what could/is going on right now...
Do you think human nature has changed in 50 years? It serves a few purposes as evidence. Demonstrating that this is not unique to America and as a general principle the threat of force is necessary for civil society. This was a single day and the decay set in immediately in a city that has grown significantly since then. What do you imagine would happen if this were to go on for days or weeks at a time? Let alone any hypothetical scenario where the police are abolished permanently.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I saw that last night, just my luck on the timing. The shooter was probably a conservative nutjob like usual, but I'll reserve judgment on that until we have more information. Regardless, these types of shootings happen every day in America, even in the most heavily-policed of areas. Let's not pretend that their presence in the general vicinity would've prevented this.

Yes, even doughy larpers will kill each other, lol.
"Doughy LARPers?" And here I thought you were pro-police. :lol:

Last edited by Xzi,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If you take policing as seriously as I do CHAZ that explains why your world view is so fucked. :P
I read this sentence three times over and it still makes no sense. So here's a long-winded meme:

i6jdt8j6z5651.jpg

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I accept your concession, lol.
Edit: you know what, it was actually my bad this time around, my mind was replacing a couple words while reading it for some reason. Let me try my response again.

If you take policing as seriously as I do CHAZ that explains why your world view is so fucked. :P
It doesn't matter how seriously I take policing as long as they don't take their own physical or mental fitness seriously.

Last edited by Xzi,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re "have a gun"
If you are in more than a simple incident, and even then things generally favour those with what is to follow, then you will need to know how to use it (takes practice, quite a lot of it in fact), be reasonably supplied with ammo (how many shots needed varies, personally I like covering/harassing fire), be capable of ending a life (most can't naturally and the training to do so is rather harsh and usually has lasting consequences), be aware of cover (and use it), possibly be trained to do things one handed, have some medical training and gear (though the nice hospitals to properly fix you back up tend to struggle in such scenarios as well).

The outrage was national for good reason, George Floyd's murder was by no stretch of the imagination an isolated incident.

Yes, let's. As it stands currently, cops are expected to go way above and beyond their job description in a lot of scenarios, so having no mental healthcare infrastructure, for example, is just as unfair to them in that sense. Rather than continuing to waste money on the militarization of the police, we need community and welfare services in place which reduce the need for a heavy police presence.

Defunding can mean in part or in whole. If in whole, like I already said, cities are able to establish new public safety organizations which circumvent the need to deal with a corrupt police union which labels every murder as justified.

Do we have a list? I try to follow such things and they are pretty few and far between. What is an acceptable level of screw ups we should be aiming for? Because you are going to get them.

Was the guy not slapped with a murder charge (though some legal types reckon the one he got might have been too high a one if a conviction is sought) and those that should have known better also charged with things?

Do you need to defund the police to in turn fund some headcase bins? I am dubious about the police needing tanks/armoured personnel carries and the like as much as most but a) most of that is not actually that expensive being military surplus and b) why not earmark it/designate it for other funds?

On police unions then are they really so hopelessly corrupt and make weeding out the bad ones that slip through/find themselves created that much harder?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Do we have a list? I try to follow such things and they are pretty few and far between.
Closest I can find off-hand is this, though it doesn't seem to account for those who were killed by police through any means other than shooting, and it doesn't account for any instances of police brutality that didn't end in death.
WaPo said:
After Michael Brown, an unarmed black man, was killed in 2014 by police in Ferguson, Mo., a Post investigation found that the FBI undercounted fatal police shootings by more than half. This is because reporting by police departments is voluntary and many departments fail to do so.

Although half of the people shot and killed by police are white, black Americans are shot at a disproportionate rate. They account for less than 13 percent of the U.S. population, but are killed by police at more than twice the rate of white Americans. Hispanic Americans are also killed by police at a disproportionate rate.

Was the guy not slapped with a murder charge (though some legal types reckon the one he got might have been too high a one if a conviction is sought) and those that should have known better also charged with things?
In George Floyd's case, yes, but seemingly only because the entire thing was recorded and there was too much public pressure to ignore. Breonna Taylor was murdered in her sleep just days prior to George Floyd's murder, and it appears as though there are no plans to charge any of the officers involved (though the department says they will be fired).

Do you need to defund the police to in turn fund some headcase bins?
Police and military are just about the only things left that the US hasn't already de-funded, so we're left with few other good options. Aside from healthcare (both physical and mental), plenty of other sectors stand to benefit, including education, housing, youth services, and parks/wildlife.

On police unions then are they really so hopelessly corrupt and make weeding out the bad ones that slip through/find themselves created that much harder?
Unfortunately, yes. The bad ones are not the exception within the current system, they're the rule. There are few better examples of this I can point to than Cariol Horne, a black female police officer who was fired after she stepped in to stop a white officer's potentially lethal chokehold on a suspect. She lost her pension eligibility after having worked 19 of the 20 years required to receive it. Meanwhile, Derek Chauvin (George Floyd's killer) remains eligible for his pension to this day.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Am British so not been following this in any kind of detail. But isn't the while 'abolish the police' actually meant to be focusing on community policing with a greater emphasis moving money from the police budget into other areas like education basically adopt a public health approach to crime especially in preventing crimes and reoffending?

Reactions: Xzi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You might be expecting a bit more nuance and forethought there than many of the shoutiest elements (which actually do seem to have some clout in discussions and are not being dismissed as much as they probably should) seem to in possession of, and possibly have a different definition if you are thinking like police community support officers and town rangers in some places around here, and all of those and the police being reasonably tightly integrated with charities, social services and the like.

Most of the proposals I have seen seem to be more figure it out on the night, pay a pittance and have the locals (as if the police would not welcome all the suitable candidates locally that they could already, and probably pay a lot better than these schemes) take care of it than a properly thought out proposal and transition.

The US could really do with something (it is noted that soldiers don't make good police without a transition period into it as there is a rather large difference between kicking a door in and seconds count, and calming things down. With the US police being both front line mental health work and vs armed gunman* later in the evening that makes things rather harder), and probably a bunch of reform in other ways (if they are not doing that then (often informal) quotas of tickets represent a sizeable amount of area income, which really sucks if you are just scraping by), but that does not seem to be stuff under discussion which is a pity.

*quite how that is going to work when the first 10 or so of the nice and happy community police types get ambushed I don't know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo