Metroid is a deeply flawed series

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've just started Fusion yesterday, done the first couple of zones or whatever, am really enjoying it. It's not perfect, but games rarely are.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guess you never played a game called Goldeneye, nailed the controls long before Halo.
Goldeneye did a pretty good job with the abomination of a controller that the N64 used, but it was a million miles away from being the optimal control scheme for an FPS on a console.

Modern Warfare 2
While I agree that the first two Modern Warfare's are the peak of the CoD franchise, they're still highly derivative, generic, offerings - certainly not masterpieces.

Feel like Halo did a better job and if Goldeneye did nailed it how come there wasn't a game that took Goldeneye controls?
Well, technically, Perfect Dark refined the Goldeneye controls (proving that they weren't perfect to begin with), but came closer to what would become the defacto console FPS control scheme... even if it did mean you had to use two controllers simultaneously!

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goldeneye did a pretty good job with the abomination of a controller that the N64 used, but it was a million miles away from being the optimal control scheme for an FPS on a console.

While I agree that the first two Modern Warfare's are the peak of the CoD franchise, they're still highly derivative, generic, offerings - certainly not masterpieces.

Well, technically, Perfect Dark refined the Goldeneye controls (proving that they weren't perfect to begin with), but came closer to what would become the defacto console FPS control scheme... even if it did mean you had to use two controllers simultaneously!
Still, people will still say Modern Wafare 2 is the best no matter how much you say Call of Duty sucks.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Because it's the best of the three classic Metroidvania-style Metroids. It has its own set of flaws, for sure, but the map and progression are the best in the series. Despite the flaws, it flows really, really well.

I don't have a problem with the story in Fusion being so central. The bigger problem for me is the disjointed map, the boss fights that could have been great but just come down to mashing shoot really fast, and the fact that new players could easily screw themselves at the end of the game if they don't grab enough power-ups before 90% of the map is locked. I think the story is actually pretty well done for what it is.

Zero Mission does a lot of things right, especially fixing up the iffy controls from the other two. But despite the map being way more wide open than Fusion, it still feels kind of disjointed. I keep wanting to think that it's the best of the three since it feels so polished, but every time I replay it I'm reminded that it doesn't flow anywhere near as well as Super Metroid. Plus it's a lot shorter than the other two and the difficulty spikes in ways that it shouldn't (ie, the shinesparking is harder than the boss fights).

Samus Returns doesn't deserve to be included here. Broken, headache of a game.
Fusion is the best of all Metroids at creating tension. The music is the most creepy of all metroids. And surviving and running away from the SA-X creates that tension and horror element. Having a imitation of Samus at her peak really shows how strong she became and how scary she is. Herself as the most scary thing on the station is brilliant.

The lead up to the nightmare fight was awesome. Flying in the background then later the glass is broken and its free.

The X parasite was an awsome addition and good expansion of the story of the consequences of eliminating the metroids.

Controls are smooth and fast passed. Overall I like Fusion.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fusion is the best of all Metroids at creating tension. The music is the most creepy of all metroids. And surviving and running away from the SA-X creates that tension and horror element. Having a imitation of Samus at her peak really shows how strong she became and how scary she is. Herself as the most scary thing on the station is brilliant.

The lead up to the nightmare fight was awesome. Flying in the background then later the glass is broken and its free.

The X parasite was an awsome addition and good expansion of the story of the consequences of eliminating the metroids.

Controls are smooth and fast passed. Overall I like Fusion.
You never play Metroid Prime and got to the Phazon Mines

Felold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, for me Metroid Prime Trillogy controls better than any "modern fps" like Halo, Call of Duty and alike.

Motion controls for aiming is perfection and only rivalized by mouse on pc.
I played a lot of shooters on the Wii and I simply one-shot everyone because of how good the controls are.

When you're aiming with a analog stick you have to deal with the limitations of movement and speed of both the stick and the game's code (some of them have auto-aim to compensate), with pointer controls (motion and mouse) you can zip trough the screen and fire straight to the head.

So, Metroid Prime (Wii) controls better than any Halo in my book.
And I can't say the GC version controls poorly, I owned the game in the 2000s and didn't have a problem with It. But I don't have a reason to go back since I have the better Wii version.

Said that, I dislike any analog stick shooters, and I only play fps games with motion controls (at least gyro) or mouse.

Last edited by Felold,

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, for me Metroid Prime Trillogy controls better than any "modern fps" like Halo, Call of Duty and alike.

Motion controls for aiming is perfection and only rivalized by mouse on pc.
I played a lot of shooters on the Wii and I simply one-shot everyone because of how good the controls are.

When you're aiming with a analog stick you have to deal with the limitations of movement and speed of both the stick and the game's code (some of them have auto-aim to compensate), with pointer controls (motion and mouse) you can zip trough the screen and fire straight to the head.

So, Metroid Prime (Wii) controls better than any Halo in my book.
And I can't say the GC version controls poorly, I owned the game in the 2000s and didn't have a problem with It. But I don't have a reason to go back since I have the better Wii version.

Said that, I dislike any analog stick shooters, and I only play fps games with motion controls (at least gyro) or mouse.
I appreciate the necro-post since I think this was topic one of my better gaming rants. :D

I see that I missed a few replies and I apologize for that. I still stand by everything I said, though I do like the Metroid series on the whole. My biggest issue is with some of the bad design decisions that became permanent over time, which I think have kept the Metroid (and certain other Nintendo franchises) from reaching its full potential. All that said, there are much worse series out there.

Also somewhat relevant, I'm currently replaying Red Dead Redemption for the first time since it came out in 2010 and I think it's aged horribly. It will probably be the last time I ever play it. But if someone had asked me a week ago for a good PS3/Xbox 360 game to play, it would have been at the top of my list. Some games are just better remembered than played.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One of my best memories is of skipping school in 1994 with a couple of buddies so we could finish Super Metroid before it had to be returned to the video rental store. We all took off and hitch hiked to my house at lunch time. Those were the days.

Reactions: hippy dave

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Duke Nukem Forever,Commander Keen mobile remake/reboot(gameplay looked like Worms),Jazz Jackrabbit Advance(shooting sequence looked more like in EarthWorm Jim),Gunstar Super Heroes,Deus Ex 2 : Invisible War,Unreal Tournament 3. It looks like MOTHER/EarthBound videogame series were not that successful as Final Fantasy,Pokemon...etc. Including F-Zero. Jazz Jackrabbit 3D Tech Demo,Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic '06.

Last edited by Luke94,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol