Metroid is a deeply flawed series

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Good point. :P

I guess I was just thinking too much into Nintendo 's line of thought. It's not super Bowser land/bros/world, king Dedede' s dream land or 'a Ganondorf to the past', so... :P

(Samus 2: return of the metroids kind of makes more sense to me as well, but again : that's just me)
Samus 2 return of Metroids doesn't roll of the tongue well. It sounds dumb.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
*throws my flame shield into a metroid nest*

I am one of the few that actually enjoyed Other M. It was my first venture into the Metroid series, and I liked it.

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*throws my flame shield into a metroid nest*

I am one of the few that actually enjoyed Other M. It was my first venture into the Metroid series, and I liked it.
It's not half as bad as other fans led me to think. The writing is bad but the story at least makes the plot twist in Fusion more impactful. The controls are annoying but not quite as broken as Prime. Going for 100% at the end felt much more like Metroid than the rest of the game unfortunately.

The game felt like it could have actually been great with some refinements. The overall plot wasn't even bad. It was mostly the way they portrayed Samus. The iffy controls could have been fixed. I got the feeling it must have been rushed toward the end of development. I enjoyed it much more than Prime anyway.

Reactions: Jayro

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Metroid Other M is worth playing once. I enjoyed it. The 2D side scrollers are easy to play multiple times. I can't find myself to finish a prime game. Is the story worth it? The controls bother me too much.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i came to metroid with fusion, finished and loved it.
as well as prime and zero.
but i also bought super metroid on WiiVC and did not like it as much,
since it basically did not look as good a fusion und control also was not as smooth.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
it's because samus is a girl isn't it? :creep:
Samus-Bikini-Girls-Metroid-Cover.jpg

Reactions: VinsCool

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metroid Other M is worth playing once. I enjoyed it. The 2D side scrollers are easy to play multiple times. I can't find myself to finish a prime game. Is the story worth it? The controls bother me too much.
The story is kind of weird since it comes close to portraying the space pirates as sympathetic. They're no longer mindless drones, so you're basically just killing sentient lifeforms who are only trying to survive (ok, maybe not exactly, but it's close to that). I don't know why this doesn't get as much shit as Other M.

To make things worse almost none of this is shown in cut scenes. You have to manually scan literally hundreds of terminals to read the full story. Yes, it's all text, which would maybe be fine if it wasn't so repetitive. And good lord is it repetitive.

It's not the kind of game you would play just for the story. Space pirates bad. Chozo good. That's the whole thing.

I'm probably going to start Prime 2 soon anyway. Hopefully some of the broken stuff got fixed in the sequel.

Reactions: tabzer

rob4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I rate Super Metroid 10/10. Great game great control. Wall jump is a time saver. Very well implemented and easy to pull off. I use it all the time to get items early.

Someone said that Wall Jump was broken and frame perfect, i disagree, i played super metroid when i was 8, and i had to do the wall jumps to my brother (15) because he couldn't pull it off, but i couldn't beat the bosses or the hard parts, so we played together. At that time we didn't have internet and games were more hard than now. I think that in the year metroid 3 released, it was a masterpiece, now we can have more polished games, but that doesn't make the old games bad, they were meant to be played when they launched in older hardware.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think Metroid Prime in particular could have been better with just a few design tweaks. The overall formula probably could have even stayed the same. Just rebalance enemy encounters, use the second analog stick for aiming and make it so you don't have to change weapons/visors every few seconds. I've heard that the Wii version has better controls, but the problems really run deeper than that. I get that it's harder to do creative platforming sections in 3D, but it's literally just the same thing every time: jump and hope you guessed your position right since you can't look down mid-air.

Prime was my first FPS ever, because i didn't like shooters but i liked metroid, so i didn't know how to play shooters, so controls were easy to pick up. But now, it's unplayable.
I tried the Wii version, but the controls and low resolutions are too much, hope a switch version can update and make the game more accesible.

holmes5800

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was playing old games (90s and early 2000s) in rencent few years till now. So I can understand how you feel and here's the reason: you are looking backward with a NEW or PRESENT method, or viewpoint.

When palying old games, I keep telling myself: you should consider the circumstance the game was created at before you judge it. If you take the present point to old things, most of them are outdated.

I'vs played 10 main titles of metroid, except MPH on DS and FF on 3DS. So I think I have some sort of right to discuss this one of my favorite series.

Prime 1 was definitely a great game at 2002. Before this, I doubt you could ever play a 3D game which has FPS, puzzles and exploration these elements FUSED together and still be with such a high completion. This game is definitely pioneering at 2002.

You mentioned controls are broken. Maybe you just COMPARED Prime with Halo, or some present FPS game (with modern FPS control). With nowaday opinion, left stick TURNS character left or right rather than MOVES left or right and right stick does not control cursor seems a little dumb. Yes I agree with this. But with existence of LOCK ON, I feel this dumb control acceptable.
If you are really feeling this control so bad, you can try Prime trilogy on wii, that's way more comfortable.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
this is pure nostalgia like everywhere else.

imho metroid fusion is the best, because that's the one i played mostly (of the 3d ones)
i then bought super metroid in the wiiVC, thinking it will be equally great, as everybody is praising it.
turns out it sucked, because the gameplay was worse than fusion (not as smooth/polished)

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
this is pure nostalgia like everywhere else.

imho metroid fusion is the best, because that's the one i played mostly (of the 3d ones)
i then bought super metroid in the wiiVC, thinking it will be equally great, as everybody is praising it.
turns out it sucked, because the gameplay was worse than fusion (not as smooth/polished)
too much talking and stoping in fusion. messes up speed flow

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

thats not a reason
it is because I say so. so dont talk back

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...