OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I downloaded the ISO, used Rufus to make a Bootable USB using said ISO and tried to boot into Mini Windows 7 and I get a "The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry" error. Otherwise, great job with Medicat and I totally dig the use of Nyan Cat as the Medicat Mascot :)
ah, I have fixed that issue with Mini Windows 10, coming out October 23rd. I'm glad you enjoy it though. :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

latest

Do you think you could maybe make the font in the OP a little bigger?
Possibly. :)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Everything is working great so far. Still testing out USB sticks to make sure it boots from USB just fine. I guess I can share the up and coming changelog with you guys of what I have so far with this next release. There won't be a Beta release this time since it's stable and everything works. I feel confident this will be the most stable release yet. :) It's definitely been the most fun to work on!

Changelog for v10.23.2015:

- Replaced Mini Windows 7 with Mini Windows 10 (Mini 7 usually wouldn't boot).
- Added Kingsoft Office 2012 Portable (Free version), SUPERAntispyware, and HxD Hex Editor to the PortableApps Suite.
- The PortableApps Suite can be run from Start.exe at the root of the media, regardless if you're in a Windows Preinstall Environment or a regular Windows session, and is easily updatable by the user.
- Added a "Reset User Passwords" option on the desktop, for easily removing a forgotten password.
- Added two small games: Windows 3D Pinball and a freeware Solitaire, for those lengthy scans and defrags. ;)
- Added both Windows 10 Recovery CDs to the Windows Recovery menu (Now supports 32-bit and 64-bit 7, 8/8.1, and 10).
- Added Comodo Rescue Disc as a secondary antivirus under the Antivirus menu. It's under 60MB, and works really well. (Unknown bug: Text Mode required if booted from USB)
- Upgraded Norton Ghost from v11.2 to v11.5, the "best" version, claimed by users.
- Changed the Eset SysRescue (Linux-based) ISO to the WinPE version. It's smaller, has better driver support, and boots up 100% of the time to do the exact same job.
- Changed the "About Medicat" F1 Message to let users know I do not charge for MediCat, nor do I accept donations for this project. (This project is 100% free to the public)
- The Mini Windows 10 wallpaper was updated to better reflect Windows 10.
- Lubuntu updated to 15.10 (Wily Werewolf), the first release usingthe new LXQt desktop environment).
- Removed an unnecessary menu for Mini Windows 10, letting users boot it right from the main menu.
- Removed the USB version, users can now make their own from the ISO with Rufus, YUMI, Unetbootin, etc. (USB creation can take a VERY long time due to overall ISO filesize and transferring several small files, especially over USB 2.0)

Last edited by Jayro,
D

Deleted User

Hey @Jayro, would you mind if I made DVDs of MediCat and then sell them for the cost of the DVD itself, not MediCat?
I'll always leave a disclaimer that I am not selling the software :P

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Hey @Jayro, would you mind if I made DVDs of MediCat and then sell them for the cost of the DVD itself, not MediCat?
Prepare to be executed by Jayro (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

OnTopic:
@Jayro, why the games? I know they do not take up lots of space... but its a repair suite :P

Last edited by jonthedit,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Be my guest. There's a LICENCING.TXT file on the root of the disc stating that I don't care what you do with it. :)

Prepare to be executed by Jayro (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

OnTopic:
@Jayro, why the games? I know they do not take up lots of space... but its a repair suite :P
Gives people something to do while they wait during long scans or defrags.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Could you use mkisofs so you do not need to futs around with the image?
I don't know how to use mkisofs, I use UltraISO for everything. I have however ditched Rockridge, because it was causing problems, and enabled Joliet.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Cygwin probably has it, there might be a gui wrapper for it. I just use it on a Linux box myself.
I'm just not very good with commandline tools, they aren't intuitive, and I constantly struggle with them. I've always used gui tools in Windows for this project, and the move to syslinux 6.x seems to be really sensitive of modifying disc contents, where syslinux 4.x was not.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm just not very good with commandline tools, they aren't intuitive, and I constantly struggle with them. I've always used gui tools in Windows for this project, and the move to syslinux 6.x seems to be really sensitive of modifying disc contents, where syslinux 4.x was not.
Do whatever you want, it was just an idea. :-D

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
what is mini windows 10 ?
It's a bootable Windows 10-based Preinstall Environment (Like a LiveCD of Windows 10) with various PortableApps for PC rapair. You might need to install 32-bit network drivers to get networking working, but most of the time LAN works great. It also fits on a 1.4GB 8cm DVD-R

Here's a screenshot of Mini Windows 10 for you:

Mini Windows 10.png

Last edited by Jayro,

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
ok so my sons laptop is having difficulty in accepting an upgrade to windows 10 , its fully up to date 8.1 and accepts the upgrade , upon its first reboot it rolls back to 8.1 i kinda wondered if somehow this would help lol.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
ok so my sons laptop is having difficulty in accepting an upgrade to windows 10 , its fully up to date 8.1 and accepts the upgrade , upon its first reboot it rolls back to 8.1 i kinda wondered if somehow this would help lol.
I would try the Windows 10 RTM ISO from microsoft's site, I used it to upgrade my laptop when the downloaded one failed, and the ISO worked flawlessly.

Awesome Awesome work. Really appreciate you sharing your hard work with us :)
You bet, I love being able to give back to PC technicians everywhere.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY