'Max Payne' homebrew PS Vita port released

max payne.jpeg

Recently, we shared news of a WIP port of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to the PS Vita by TheFlow based on its Android version. Apparently, it was not the only game that TheFlow was working to port on the Vita, as together with modder fgsfdsfgs and others, he released a way to get the Android version of Remedy's classic title Max Payne to work on PlayStation's handheld. Their method uses a wrapper to load the original game binary, patches it and then runs it.

While the game is playable on the Vita, there are some known issues. These include the following, as per the latest GitHub release:
  • The game takes a while to start and load levels.
  • There is a memory leak somewhere, which means that after enough level loads the game will die with a black screen. It usually happens after loading 2/3 of the levels in the entire game, so you might not encounter this during normal gameplay.
  • Key binding menu does not display button names correctly.
  • Intro movies don't play, since the player is not implemented.
To get it to run, you will need to first install two plugins, namely kubridge and fdfix, and then proceed with the VPK installation. You will, of course, need to supply your own copy of Max Payne's APK (version 1.7) and OBB (version 1.6 or 1.7) files.

fgsfdsfgs released a complete step-by-step guide along with a link to the corresponding VPK file over on their GitHub page linked below.

Since this is TheFlow's second big Android port to the Vita, it seems like more could be in the works. Which Android game would you like to see run on the PS Vita next?

:arrow: GitHub Release
:arrow: GitHub README

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't official but there was a Doom 3 Port that worked good on my old sumsung s7... Half Life 2... Or OpenMW.. Would be cool

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Woah, my most favorite game. Now I'm gonna purchase a used Vita just to test it.
It works really well!! & GTA San Andreas Port is next... It's a good time to have a hacked vita..

Reactions: tpax

PZT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.CrazyTaxiplayhaven&hl=en_US&gl=US
CRAZY TAXI! This would be a perfect port, and it's not a very complicated game either with being able to see most everything it has to offer in a few minutes so I imagine it'd be way easier than porting a game that has a full campaign to test
It would be amazing to have it on the go though, not even Switch has it, bonus points if they can figure out a way to insert the original soundtrack with The Offspring etc
Soulcalibur 1 for Dreamcast also received an HD port for Android, but the store page is no longer live
SC would still be a great candidate to port though, even if there's not really multiplayer on the Vita, that didn't stop them from porting it to phones in the first place lol

Reactions: SuperDan

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
maybe not ps2 isos but these were ps2 games (tho its the pc versions ported) maybe one day ps2 titles might be possible.

While technically possible to port PS2 games, there are a few official ports, is too much of a pain in the ass compared to porting games that run on the same or very similar hardware.

Crazy Taxi can be run on the Dreamcast emulator for Vita and while it doesn't work all that well... the emulator is quite new, future updates hopefully will improve things.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's also Resident Evil 5 for the Shield TV, which would be nice to have on other Android devices as well.
Guess we know why it's on Switch.

I was kind of hoping Capcom getting hit with ransomware would lead to a leak of the rumoured 3DS build of RE5 they made to test the system before Mercenaries 3D.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.CrazyTaxiplayhaven&hl=en_US&gl=US
CRAZY TAXI! This would be a perfect port, and it's not a very complicated game either with being able to see most everything it has to offer in a few minutes so I imagine it'd be way easier than porting a game that has a full campaign to test
It would be amazing to have it on the go though, not even Switch has it, bonus points if they can figure out a way to insert the original soundtrack with The Offspring etc
Soulcalibur 1 for Dreamcast also received an HD port for Android, but the store page is no longer live
SC would still be a great candidate to port though, even if there's not really multiplayer on the Vita, that didn't stop them from porting it to phones in the first place lol
SC was a decent port to Android you could even use a gamead.... I'm hoping they Port Half Life 2.. Doom 3... Morrowind

Max Payne is a cool game franchise. Would it be possible to port Max Payne 2 to Vita? :D
I don't think max payne 2 ever came out on Android... Would be great to have MP2 on vita I agree...

While technically possible to port PS2 games, there are a few official ports, is too much of a pain in the ass compared to porting games that run on the same or very similar hardware.

Crazy Taxi can be run on the Dreamcast emulator for Vita and while it doesn't work all that well... the emulator is quite new, future updates hopefully will improve things.
I'm hoping for a magical Flycast update too... Shenmue & MsR street racing would be amazing on vita

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo