"Perfect Dark" gets a fully playable PC port

images.jpg

Back in October of 2022, we reported that the Perfect Dark decompilation project had reached a completion state of 97%, but according to the developers the decompilation project was basically fully complete. Since then, development of a PC port for the title has been growing steadily, and the port itself has now reached a state in which the game can be finished, as well as split-screen multiplayer working, all with full mouse and keyboard support.

The developer of the port, @fgsfds has been working hard on bringing the PC port in a stable and bug-free state, and currently he only states minor graphical issues, and some occasional crashes, but those are gonna be ironed out down the road.

Here's the current status of the project according to the GitHub repository's ReadMe:
The game is in a mostly functional state, with both singleplayer and split-screen multiplayer modes fully working.
There are minor graphics- and gameplay-related issues, and possibly occasional crashes.

The following extra features are implemented:
  • mouselook;
  • dual analog controller support;
  • widescreen resolution support;
  • configurable field of view;
  • 60 FPS support, including fixes for some framerate-related issues;
  • fixes for a couple original bugs and crashes;
  • basic mod support, currently enough to load a few custom levels;
  • slightly expanded memory heap size.
Currently only 32-bit platforms are supported, namely x86 Windows and Linux.
Note that 32-bit binaries will still work on 64-bit versions of those platforms,though you might have to install some additional libraries.

As with other decompilation projects, the user is required to provide their own copy in ROM format to play the PC port of the title. The port currently supports 32-bit platforms, including both Windows and Linux. It's possible that the 32-bit executable could work on 64-bit machines too.

:arrow: Perfect Dark PC port GitHub repository

gZa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone tried it on the steam deck?
Yeah played great 'straight out the box'.

Graslu00's even streamed a full play thru...

I ran the x86 version through Proton compatibility rather than the native Linux.

Been playing it via the TV in 1920x1080 with a DualShock 4, I needed to dial back on the controller sensitivity to get it to feel like it does via emulation. Definitely works better than the 1964GEPD version, I could never get that version to work well with controllers.

Hoping to get this working with my NSO N64 pad at some point for the most authentic experience.

Last edited by gZa,

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a feature request, but I dunno where to ask: would it be possible to add "Random (unlocked)" to the list of weapons you can set to appear in Combat Simulator? "Locked" Random already exists; the weapon chosen remains

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Port works great. The game feels so much easier and makes most the aiming controls irrelevant with mouse + keyboard.

Is there a comprehensive list of all N64 games that have a PC port at this point? I'm aware of OOT, Mario 64, and now Perfect Dark. Are there more?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm kind of surprised that this happened before the Goldeneye port?

I tried Googling just now and I had forgotten how many different "modern" versions of Goldeneye there had been at this point: Rare's official new port, Rare's unreleased old port, the Source engine port, the fanmade "port" to the Perfect Dark engine on the N64, the completely unrelated Reloaded version, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

stinkskc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i feel crazy how do i get split screen coop going? i have the player 2 mapped to my controler
Post automatically merged:

yo am i crazy but i cant get split screen coop going. i have 2nd player mapped to controller and 1st player mapped to mouse and key

ElCazador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to compiling, and could use some help. I have the ROM, but haven't a clue how to take all the stuff on Github and make this into a playable game. Any suggestions for doing this? Maybe a online tutorial someone can recommend? Thanks!

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm new to compiling, and could use some help. I have the ROM, but haven't a clue how to take all the stuff on Github and make this into a playable game. Any suggestions for doing this? Maybe a online tutorial someone can recommend? Thanks!
Just download the compiled build from the github

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol