Making plans for completing the gen 3 pokedex, need opinions and advice.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Re-Completed the gen 2 pokedex, about to start gen 3. I don't have a flashcart yet so I'm going to start by playing on my MiSTer FPGA and then later transfer my save over to a real flashcart.
Post automatically merged:

I could probably play on an emulator but I like the filters for GBA games that the MiSTer has
Sounds like a decent plan, be sure to remember that you need to convert the save files from mister's format to a raw format regular emulators use if you want to transfer them to the flash cart.

I use https://savefileconverter.com/#/mister for that, and it works quite well. If you've never used it beforehand the previous link has most of the settings already correctly selected, you'll just have to pick the correct platform (obviously GBA here) and it'll spit out the correct format. For the other way around you just select the other arrow so it changes the conversion direction.

OilFreak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, lol.
Also I'm just going to wait to play until I get a flashcart. I just like how GBA games look on the DS screen too much lol

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you REALLY, REALLY want to do a full Gen 3 Pokédex in the "legit" way, you'd need the followings:
-Leaf Green
You need to do it three times, two up until the Cinnabar island to get both fossils. You get most of the Kanto stuff + Slowpoke.
-XD
-Colosseum

XD and Colo fall in the same category and you get the Fire Red/Ruby/Sapphire stuff you can't obtain from LG/Emerald plus Lugia and Ho-Oh.

-Emerald
This is going to be your main game for the task: You'll have to restart it 3 times to get the starters. Also two times up until you got the surf/dive badge to get Clamperl's evolutionary lines.

-Channel
This is where you'll get Jirachi.
-Box
This is where most of your transfers will take action.

You'll only be left out with the following now: Lati@s, Deoxys and Mew. But we all know the answers here. Best of luck!

OilFreak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you REALLY, REALLY want to do a full Gen 3 Pokédex in the "legit" way, you'd need the followings:
-Leaf Green
You need to do it three times, two up until the Cinnabar island to get both fossils. You get most of the Kanto stuff + Slowpoke.
-XD
-Colosseum

XD and Colo fall in the same category and you get the Fire Red/Ruby/Sapphire stuff you can't obtain from LG/Emerald plus Lugia and Ho-Oh.

-Emerald
This is going to be your main game for the task: You'll have to restart it 3 times to get the starters. Also two times up until you got the surf/dive badge to get Clamperl's evolutionary lines.

-Channel
This is where you'll get Jirachi.
-Box
This is where most of your transfers will take action.

You'll only be left out with the following now: Lati@s, Deoxys and Mew. But we all know the answers here. Best of luck!
This isn't mentioning the gen 2 starters. You get 1 in Emerald for filling up the Hoenn-dex, but the other 2 will require beating 100 trainers in XD's mount battle. Regardless I didn't even realize that i don't have to play Ruby and Sapphire. Thanks!

I've started playing Pokemon Emerald on an emulator. Hopefully by the time I fill up the Hoenndex I'll have a GBA flashcart and the other necessary hardware

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This isn't mentioning the gen 2 starters. You get 1 in Emerald for filling up the Hoenn-dex, but the other 2 will require beating 100 trainers in XD's mount battle. Regardless I didn't even realize that i don't have to play Ruby and Sapphire. Thanks!

I've started playing Pokemon Emerald on an emulator. Hopefully by the time I fill up the Hoenndex I'll have a GBA flashcart and the other necessary hardware
I didn't mention the Johto starters because you get all 3 from Colosseum, or XD's Mt. Battle or only one by completing Hoenn's dex in Emerald.

1679770678730.png

OilFreak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my first time playing emerald, and I'm making this statement as a warning to anyone attempting this challenge: do not play emerald. It reintroduced the annyoing phone calls from gen 2 which were absent in Ruby and Sapphire. It's worse here though, because there is no way to remove trainers from your phone. What's worse, trainers can add themselves to your phone without asking after a battle. It's ridiculous.
Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Perhaps a romhack or something?

OilFreak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EZ-Flash Omega DE is in my mailbox. When I get home I'm gonna get it setup and beat the elite four. Once I've beaten the elite four (and whatever post-game there is, it's been forever since i've played gen 3) I'll start howevermuch of the regionaldex I can get done without trading.
I have a friend who I'm going to borrow a wii from. After that all I need is the gba to gamecube link cable and a gamecube controller.
Post automatically merged:

Just beat emerald on my DS. Instead of completing the regionaldex I think I'm going to play through Leaf Green so by the time I get my gamecube stuff It'll be ready to use with pokemon box.

Last edited by OilFreak,

OilFreak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One more thing I should add, pokemon box requires 100 pokemon to be registered as caught before it allows a game to link with it.
Until I reach that with both Emerald and Leaf Green, I'll simply be using colleseum to trade.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: luke try not to say "for instance" or "etc." in a post challenge, level impossible