Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

TheGuyMadeOfTofu

Trophies
XP
Country
[9:28 AM] Aurora Wright: luma won't override games which use n3ds clock or l2
[9:28 AM] Aurora Wright: it didn't do so even on legacy
[9:28 AM] Aurora Wright: actually it used to a long time ago but I fixed it
So this was an issue from way back to todays legacy? And here i was believing it was the game itself all along. Jesus Christ.

But wait. Why was DQ7 had this issue with me but not games like The zelda muso or MH games?

Hare is what i mean when using legacy build 3a4868c with the n3ds overclocking off
http://i.imgur.com/xhzKZcnr.jpg

Last edited by TheGuyMadeOfTofu,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be worth it to zero the card out, seems like some really bizarre issue with the gw nscd still lingering. Is this an o3ds or n3ds?

Also testing seems to show that booting 9.2 full-sized EmuNAND on 8.1.1 works fine

It's not like I'm just testing with one. I'm testing with two O3DSes, and one N3DS that has only ever had it's EmuNAND formatted once by GW (and got swapped to 9.2 using Decrypt9 when I swapped EmuNAND to SysNAND -- I simply chose to swap both instead of deleting EmuNAND). So, 3 different cards, and actually, I've even tried a 4th one. You can restore an 11.x to any of these slots and Luma boots it just fine. Put 9.2 back and it crashes every time.

I'd advise testing another system. Because someone just got lucky. You keep wanting to blame me. But it's your test case where it's working that's the abnormality. I've got 3 that will not run a full sized 9.2 no matter what is done.

On a side note, anyone else tried compiling Spectre3DS. I tried, but I'm getting an error with "Hud.cpp" for some reason. Says something about a certain variable "not declared within this scope" or something.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
It's not like I'm just testing with one. I'm testing with two O3DSes, and one N3DS that has only ever had it's EmuNAND formatted once by GW (and got swapped to 9.2 using Decrypt9 when I swapped EmuNAND to SysNAND -- I simply chose to swap both instead of deleting EmuNAND). So, 3 different cards, and actually, I've even tried a 4th one. You can restore an 11.x to any of these slots and Luma boots it just fine. Put 9.2 back and it crashes every time.

I'd advise testing another system. Because someone just got lucky. You keep wanting to blame me. But it's your test case where it's working that's the abnormality. I've got 3 that will not run a full sized 9.2 no matter what is done.
Aurora just tested it also

[10:04 AM] Aurora Wright : @astronautlevel just booted a legacy emunand (1 GB padded) with the 8.1.1 release...
[10:04 AM] astronautlevel: A 9.2 EmuNAND?
[10:04 AM] Aurora Wright : yes
[10:05 AM] Aurora Wright : used a hex editor to make the emunand from a nand backup
[10:05 AM] Aurora Wright : (moved the ncsd etc)
[10:05 AM] astronautlevel: :ok_hand:
[10:05 AM] Aurora Wright : and then used dd to copy to sd
[10:05 AM] astronautlevel: Thanks

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aurora just tested it also

[10:04 AM] Aurora Wright : @astronautlevel just booted a legacy emunand (1 GB padded) with the 8.1.1 release...
[10:04 AM] astronautlevel: A 9.2 EmuNAND?
[10:04 AM] Aurora Wright : yes
[10:05 AM] Aurora Wright : used a hex editor to make the emunand from a nand backup
[10:05 AM] Aurora Wright : (moved the ncsd etc)
[10:05 AM] astronautlevel: :ok_hand:
[10:05 AM] Aurora Wright : and then used dd to copy to sd
[10:05 AM] astronautlevel: Thanks

Well that's a strange way to do it. And I've not tried doing it on an O3DS in EmuNAND format. Just RedNAND format. The only one that's actually got the NCSD at the end is the N3DS. But that still fails. I'll run another test with a 1 GB regular EmuNAND just to see, but that will probably fail too.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Well that's a strange way to do it. And I've not tried doing it on an O3DS in EmuNAND format. Just RedNAND format. The only one that's actually got the NCSD at the end is the N3DS. But that still fails. I'll run another test with a 1 GB regular EmuNAND just to see, but that will probably fail too.
The other person I know just used GodMode9 to create the EmuNAND and it worked fine. I'd say the issue is with your MultiEmuNANDCreator or whatever instead of Luma.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either way no one can replicate the problems you're having, no matter how they do it...

Also, if it was the tool that was messing up the EmuNANDs, then an 11.x would fail too, but they don't. The only problem that occurs is when I transfer a 9.2 backup. Legacy, Cakes and Puma boot it just fine. Well, just Legacy and Puma in the case of the N3DS, but, regardless, it is only happening with Luma 8.x, and only with 9.2 EmuNANDs. So, it pretty much has to be Luma. If it was the tool, I'd have crashing 11.2s as well. And if the 9.2 backup was just bad, then the other CFWs wouldn't run it either.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Well, just Puma in the case of the N3DS
So you have another CFW that doesn't work and you choose to blame Luma, even after multiple people have tested it and been unable to replicate your issues?

upload_2017-8-8_10-36-6.png

Reactions: SaffronXL

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you have another CFW that doesn't work and you choose to blame Luma, even after multiple people have tested it and been unable to replicate your issues?

View attachment 94968

Cakes is buggy on the N3DS in B9S period. It can't even decrypt the TWL firmware. I had to decrypt everything for it using GM9. That Cakes messes up running 9.x on an N3DS doesn't really help your case.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Cakes is buggy on the N3DS in B9S period. It can't even decrypt the TWL firmware. I had to decrypt everything for it using GM9. That Cakes messes up running 9.x on an N3DS doesn't really help your case.
I don't need a case beyond the fact that your issue isn't replicatable by anyone else, o3ds or n3ds.

If you seriously still think this is an issue, report it on the GitHub issue tracker.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't need a case beyond the fact that your issue isn't replicatable by anyone else, o3ds or n3ds.

If you seriously still think this is an issue, report it on the GitHub issue tracker.

Your anyone being two people that only have one system each to test with.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Your anyone being two people that only have one system each to test with.
Both of them tried different methods and different consoles, and each time it worked. You're 1 person, so I don't see how the number of people matters here...

EDIT: And Aurora has more than one system herself so the "one system each to test with" is just wrong

Last edited by astronautlevel,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both of them tried different methods and different consoles, and each time it worked. You're 1 person, so I don't see how the number of people matters here...

And did any of them even try installing Menuhax on their 9.2? It shouldn't matter, but all of mine do have it installed, though not all of them have it set to automatically boot.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Still, it should not crash just because it's there, if it's not set to run unless a button is held. The copy on the N3DS is not. And it suddenly started working when a minimum size was tried with another card.
Your setup is non-standard and not supported and can be doing weird things. See again:
your issue isn't replicatable by anyone else, o3ds or n3ds.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Aurora just tested a full-sized rednand on o3ds 9.2 and it worked fine.

Also, I quote from AW: "menuhax will never work"

Reactions: otakusensei

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your setup is non-standard and not supported and can be doing weird things. See again:

Neither is Aurora's if you want to go there. How many people hex edit the NAND manually and use DD to transfer it?

As I have already said, I have my workaround. Don't hold onto Legacy on my account. But you asked for something Legacy could do that 8.x can't and I did provide -- boot 9.2 with Menuhax. I'm just trying to figure out why, if that's the issue, it somehow booted as a minimum sized EmuNAND, because it's driving me nuts and makes no sense.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Neither is Aurora's if you want to go there. How many people hex edit the NAND manually and use DD to transfer it?
Aurora merely did the process manually rather than automatically, same end result.

Also:

Aurora just tested a full-sized rednand on o3ds 9.2 and it worked fine.

Also, I quote from AW: "menuhax will never work"

Reactions: otakusensei

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps