j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to buy a PS3.

I won't deny that this is in part due to the recent news of hacking (of which I don't really know the details), but it is mainly due to timing regarding certain games (demons souls, ffxiii, ect) as well as the current state of my bank account.

I've managed to hack my wii after much research and work and have also been using a hacked psp and a DS flash card for a pretty long time, but I don't really know anything about the PS3 (or xbox) scene right now. I know there's been recent news of a hacking, but that practical application of this for the public is not gaurenteed.

The following are my questions in seeking a good buy;

1) Are there any specific versions or firmwares to keep an eye out for, or to avoid??
I know that for the psp and wii, having past a certain firmwares could make it much harder to hack, or having before certain ones could make it much easier. Is there a 'best' firmware?

2) Here is an ebay auction I'm eying that's ending soon

http://cgi.ebay.com/60GB-Playstation-3-Lin...=item414ccec88b

He claims his system can play PS2 ISOs off a USB drive. Is this legit? Can people do this now? If so, what are the requirements?

Also, is that a good deal besides? just curious what ppl think. (auction will probably end before you respond)

3) In regard to PS2 backward compatibility, I know that different ps3 versions have varying degrees of compatibility. Can anyone explain to me what they are?

I know that the version with the emotion engine has 100% compatibility. Which versions have this chip? What other versions have compatibility and how compatible are they? Do all 60gb systems have the emotion engine???

That seems to be it right now. though I probably forgot some questions and will post back.
Thanks in advance for responses.

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
Firstly this hack doesn't allow you to play back up ps3 games. (that's as far as i've read so don't get your hopes up for a iso loader too soon)

1) It's a hardware fault which allows a glitch so i'd stick with the original models

2) a few miniutes in google brought me to this http://www.haxnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=8791

3) couldn't really answer this >.< i don't have a ps3, i'm only looking into this for friends

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah, here's the question I forgot;

If I can get a system with an older firmware, could I play online, or download from PSN without having to update??

If so, is it easy to do so?

Also, is there currantly any practical reason to keep an older firmware?

while its obvious how future firmware updates could be unwanted, are there any known downsides for any recent updates?

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
j0nnywolf said:
ah, here's the question I forgot;

If I can get a system with an older firmware, could I play online, or download from PSN without having to update??

If so, is it easy to do so?

Also, is there currantly any practical reason to keep an older firmware?

while its obvious how future firmware updates could be unwanted, are there any known downsides for any recent updates?

You need to update to buy stuff/play online. As for keeping old firmware it's hard to say as you never know there might be a hack some day which requires older firmware to run, I don't know much about that side of things so I might be wrong. There is no downsides from updated firmware currently.

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a ps3 for hacking purposes then dont bother, imo. The current exploit, while neat, is very limited and may take a long time to mature into something usable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Anyone here?