List of all Gateway questions (9.2.0-20)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by satanicangel, Dec 1, 2014.

1. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    More games to have loaded up on their system and cheats. Those are the only reasons I can think of.

2. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    First of all, Gateway is a CFW. Your sentences make it seem like you don't know that so I just add the precision.

Then, there are several kind of people.
    • Those who never had a Gateway. These ones don't move from Gateway to free CFWs, they just start hacking with a free CFW (since well, it's free you know). Obviously they couldn't do it when Gateway was the only viable solution.
    • Those who don't use cheats. These ones could keep using their Gateway... but just like you're wondering "why switch?", actually, why keep a Gateway? It's just annoying to have to boot the 3DS with the red cart in. And Luma has some nice functions too, like custom splash screens (not the best feature I could think of but whatever :P)
    • Those who use cheats. These ones are basically the only ones who have an actual reason to keep using a Gateway. Because yeah, NTR exists. But it's just like people who say there is Wine on Linux to play games. Either they never tried Wine or they never tried Windows, but you can't say it's a good alternative to Windows if you tried both. Same here, NTR is an alternative to Gateway cheats, but not a good one.
    And then you have the ones who want the best of both worlds and keep both :P

Quantumcat, medoli900 and codezer0 like this.
  3. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    Gateway allows you to keep drag-and-drop support for .3ds games, with no lengthy .cia installs for anything but DLC, and it's widely considered to have a better cheat system, if you're into that stuff. Up to 11.2, you could even use Luma3DS+Gateway on SysNAND, as long as you took care not to update while in Gateway Mode, so literally zero drawbacks. However, from 11.3 onwards, Gateway users have had to keep either an 11.2 SysNAND (to continue using SysNAND only) or an 11.2 EmuNAND for Gateway while keeping SysNAND updated with Luma3DS. This is because Gateway not only doesn't support 11.3/4, but also has no FIRM protection like Luma, which means that just running an 11.3+ SysNAND (running, not even updating like before) is enough to delete A9LH. Not sure if B9S is affected in any way if one tries to boot an 11.3 Gateway SysNAND. When Gateway releases their next update, there will be at least support for 11.4 EmuNANDs, but SysNAND-only setups may never return unless Gateway actually implements FIRM protection, which seems unlikely.

4. GrabitHot

GrabitHot Member

Newcomer
    May 31, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the responses, cracker, Hayleia, and Shady Guy Jose. I think I have a better understanding what's going on. I will probably try Luma3DS. I can't think of any games I want to cheat on. I am also doubtful Gateway will release anything else. It's been months and maybe they have given up?

5. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    In my case, the dealbreaker for the full move is the cia install process. Really tiring when you swap games a lot. Not really worth buying a card for, but when you already have one...

6. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

GBAtemp Patron
    medoli900 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    I used Luma and GW (before I updated, completely forgetting that there's no GW compatibility with higher FW yet). I used GW only for RAM cheating on the fly.

7. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    I'm keeping mine on 11.2 as I have Luma and GW together. We'll see if NTR actually gits gud at running cheats (still don't know how to for NTR, now that I realize it as I type this). But presently, at least the Red card for GW keeps my 3ds cartridge slot occupied. Otherwise, it'd be empty and getting dust from everywhere.

ch-vox likes this.
  8. gengardenne

gengardenne GBAtemp Regular

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
    You know if there is any method to make a old NAND backup 9.2 an EMUNAND?
    Because when I did the cfw guide I was here and so I've a backup.
    And how I can use a gateway with A9LH+Luma.I saw it is possible
    Last question and the most important for me: Is possible to use cheats online having a gateway?If yes how?

Someone that answer to my 3 questions please? I'm buying a gateway for the last point bet before I would know all these informations.Thank you:)

9. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    1. Restore the NAND backup to emuNAND, using any of the arm9 tools. You will also want to downgrade your sysNAND - accidentally booting Gateway mode on 11.3 or 11.4 sysNAND will either brick or leave you on stock firmware.
    2. Update to b9s with https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s then follow https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/
    3. Yes but you'll likely be banned from online services if you do this.

It's really not worth buying a Gateway, unless you have a specific thing you want to do that you know you can only do with Gateway (and keep in mind many cheating use cases using Gateway have been ported to NTR).

gengardenne likes this.
  10. gengardenne

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
    Thank so much to have answered to all my questions :)

Yes ,the only reason would be test cheats online,because it's one of the few ways to do that.
    I know NTR plugin can use cheats that are also on gateway,but the card can be online and also has some codes ntr can't use at the moment.
    I don't think I would be banned if I use an header for the game in question

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So if I use accidentally the gateway on last firmware I could brick my 3ds?

11. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can be banned just using cheats, nothing to do with the header, that's a separate issue!

And yes, Gateway can brick your console if you accidentally boot it on the latest firmware, which is the main reason it never gets recommended to anybody.

12. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Only on sysNAND. You're perfectly safe booting 11.3/11.4 on emuNAND with Gateway. Except it doesn't work, but at least it doesn't brick :P

13. gengardenne

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
    Infact this point is very scary XD
    So the header can't do nothing with GATEWAY?And why it couldn't?I know the header is able to to help you to avoid bans

An SysNAND like the one obtained via ARM9LH+LUMA can be considered an sysNAND at all the effects?Or also this SysNAND is in potentially dangerous if I wrong with gateway?

14. bjaxx87

bjaxx87 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 17, 2011
    Germany
    @GrabitHot: As far as I know Gateway still doesn't support GBA/DSi games, so there's another reason to use Luma alongside Gateway (which I personally keep for .3ds/.3dz ROM support).

Quantumcat likes this.
  15. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Using a private header will stop you from being banned because of using the same header as someone else at the same time. It won't stop you from being banned due to cheating. These are two separate ban reasons.

SysNAND is sysNAND - if you boot Gateway mode in sysNAND that's where the trouble is. If you boot it with Luma then there's no problem. The most recent Gateway launcher files give you a warning if you are about to launch in sysNAND mode though so you probably won't do it accidentally unless you are using an older launcher or don't read the message on the screen.

16. gengardenne

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
    Ok I thank you for the explanation about an private header.
    So a SysNAND CFW from A9LH give not problem?Infact isn't a normal SysNAND and I asked for this

17. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes using sysNAND-only with Luma is fine. It's not the A9LH that gives the protection, it's Luma. You can launch Gateway from a9lh or b9s as well, but Gateway doesn't have the protection.

18. gengardenne

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
    You was been clear.But how luma protect me?I must only be located into the sd root?And all versions of luma protect you from this or maybe one of the lasts?

19. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, all versions of Luma, since a9lh was invented, protect the firms from being overwritten (where a9lh lives). On 11.3 and 11.4 it seems Nintendo tried to write to the firms to remove a9lh. Gateway doesn't protect the firms so Nintendo succeeds. The Luma devs foresaw that Nintendo might try this, right from the beginning. However, Luma had to be updated a few times to be compatible with later firmwares so if you try and use a really old Luma you might get a black screen on launch (your firms are still safe however).

20. gengardenne

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
    So bettere go to B9S so I can use luma 8.0 and be safe
    At the moment I'm on 7.0.5 with my old 3ds because is the last version supported by A9LH.

Sorry if I haven't understand you but with that"Yes" you mean both the protect of all versions of luma and the fact that it request only to be allocated on the root to protect me?XD