Linux experience

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Heya,

I recently started to use Ubuntu 9.04 on my eeePC and now on my Desktop as well and I'm impressed, how perfect it works. Just some examples:

1. Plug in and you're ready. If I plug in my bluetooth dongle it's there in nearly a second and ready to use...no driver issues or installation or whatever. If I unplug it it's gone in a second.
Or today I plugged in my cell phone for mobile broadband and a installation wizard just pops up and it was ready to go within seconds (OK, the APN had to be changed because it's not a big carrier). No
"I need to download new drivers for ya USB cable/Bluetooth/infrared/whatever" shit....in windows I need to play around with the Nokia PC suite and driver issues for the data cable (which is a problem if
you want to use UMTS w/ HSDPA because bluetooth will limit your connection badly)
2. It's running fast on my eeePC as a full non-tweaked version. Just compiz is deactivated, but I had to tweak windows a lot
3. Easy to install from USB flashdrive - WinSetupFromUsb won't work for me - Unetbootin does.
4. Great Exposé and Spaces clone due to Compiz - What I like most about macs are programs like those 2. Compiz has them both and it makes your workflow better
5. Easy configuration of multidesktops. Especially on my EeePC this is great!
6. Nearly all hardware working Out of box!

So overall my Linux experience was a very good one...if you haven't tried...try it!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Don't forget about installing things with Synaptic... Much more easier than . You just write what you want and it automatically gets it for you and install it
smile.gif

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
raulpica said:
Don't forget about installing things with Synaptic... Much more easier than . You just write what you want and it automatically gets it for you and install it
smile.gif

yeah this one is cool as well!

Linux is in my opinion more userfriendly than Windows or Mac OS X now

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
PettingZoo said:
I received my Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope disc (And stickers
smileipb2.png
) around 4 weeks ago, running it great on my Parallels VM.
yeah I ordered those as well...but those stickers are to big for my eee

cojiro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Its not a spaces clone. Spaces is a clone of the free virtual desktop that has been on *nix systems forever now.
dont forget that free software can be more innovative than you think!

AnotherMuggle

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've really enjoyed my small amount of experience with a few different Ubuntu versions. I use my PC primarily for internet usage so spend a lot of time in a web browser.

My only gripe with an distro of Linux is the lack of plug ins such as Shockwave player. I have no idea why there's no Linux version or equivalent!?

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Noitora said:
I'm really considering to start using ubuntu, I just have a question, as you know some programs are only for windows, will I be able to run them with no problem using WINE?

I have always found most apps have a good free alternative, and those few that don't are the ones that don't work on WINE, (mplap etc)

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
cojiro said:
Its not a spaces clone. Spaces is a clone of the free virtual desktop that has been on *nix systems forever now.
dont forget that free software can be more innovative than you think!

Ok, didn't know about who was there first...whatever it's such a good addition and let you manage multiple desktops perfectly

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tomjkear said:
I've really enjoyed my small amount of experience with a few different Ubuntu versions. I use my PC primarily for internet usage so spend a lot of time in a web browser.

My only gripe with an distro of Linux is the lack of plug ins such as Shockwave player. I have no idea why there's no Linux version or equivalent!?

I have found the only plugin that linux lacks is shockwave... it has flash and VLC handles most video formats

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...