BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Screen-Shot-2016-06-14-at-9.06.09-AM.png

A new trademark has been found saying:

Downloadable electronic game programs; downloadable electronic video game software; electronic game programs; electronic game software; video game cartridges; video game discs; video game memory cards; video game programs; video game software.
This could confirm that the NX will indeed use cartridges for it's form of physical media instead of the indrustry standard discs.

:arrow: Source

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It costs about 50c to print a 50GB disc, I can't imagine how the cost of even a 32GB ROM could compete with that.
That is true but there are other costs involved such as manufacturing a master for the press (not sure if I am using the right terminology here)
It means a bit less profit from each sale but most games will probably not need all that space so they could save costs by using a smaller NAND size.

AnonDragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I'm actually really curious about what are they trying to do with the NX.
(Don't tell anyone, but they're dealing with alien technology and that's why it is an ultra secret console, they're gonna make 4D games with holographic interaction and no batteries needed, it all feeds from your life force :ph34r:)

I can't have any idea of why bother with carts., but oh well, how knows what is their next innovation or whatever.

It costs about 50c to print a 50GB disc, I can't imagine how the cost of even a 32GB ROM could compete with that.

That sounds really interesting, and as they try to reduce costs the most makes sense.

Last edited by AnonDragon,
Reactions: Deleted User

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that would be cool i know discs are supposedly cheaper but somehow they manage to sell 3ds games for $35 while console games are $60 so surely if they can sell them for $35 and make decent profit $60 wont hurt them.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is true but there are other costs involved such as manufacturing a master for the press (not sure if I am using the right terminology here)
It means a bit less profit from each sale but most games will probably not need all that space so they could save costs by using a smaller NAND size.
Not to mention that BluRays are proprietary Sony materials and that anyone who uses them has to pay royalties

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A move back to cartridges does make some sense at this point. You can fit a lot of data into a small amount of space now. 200GB MicroSD cards are readily available at Best Buy. You get the added benefits of no load times and a sturdier design that will hold up for longer. Plus, they can be even smaller than discs. Now I know it is more costly, but when your producing in mass quantities, I have to imagine that ultimately its not significant. I'd hate to see game prices go up, but I think they could keep them where they're at. Ultimately I just love the design and durability more of cartridges, and there is a certain feeling that's been lost in disc based systems of satisfaction when you lock your cartridge into the slot. Stupid, I know, but you can't deny that there is something just so satisfying about that moment.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Last edited by zoogie,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat