Hardware Legality of selling a banned console?

NEO-BAHAMUT-

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As the title states really. I have a banned console which I am going to be selling. Is there any issue with me selling a banned console that still works but is banned from Nintendo online services. Providing I make sure that the customer is aware it’s banned?

k3rizz3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as the person buying it knows, and knows all of the implications, I think legally you'd be fine.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's legal if you inform the buyer. Make it written, words doesn't count unless it's recorded.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It should be legal as long as they are fully aware and you haven't left any hacks/warez on the system.

Maybe send them an email before handing the console over to confirm they understand the ramifications of what having a banned system means (e.g. they can't complain if it doesn't get software updates).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As others mentioned you want to state it as banned -- wording of the specific "offence" that omitting it would be will vary but it is a device of reduced functionality that would not fall under standard wear and tear.

It should be legal as long as they are fully aware and you haven't left any hacks/warez on the system.

Why would leaving hacks on a system be a problem?

Reactions: MarzDaindigo

NEO-BAHAMUT-

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Maybe send them an email before handing the console over to confirm they understand the ramifications of what having a banned system means (e.g. they can't complain if it doesn't get software updates).
I thought that the console that are banned still receive game updates as well as switch firmware update?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because:
1) It may not be legal
2) It could give the buyer an excuse to complain
3) It could cause problems trying to selling the console
Has there ever been anybody pinged for selling a modded console? Every one I have ever seen has loaded it up with copied games. Of course the PR releases tend to downplay the copied games part (and in court the complete opposite) but that is neither here nor there.
So can just about anything, such is selling second hand things.
I know ebay and amazon frown upon such things but as long as you know that and work around it you should be good.

Reactions: MarzDaindigo

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Has there ever been anybody pinged for selling a modded console? Every one I have ever seen has loaded it up with copied games. Of course the PR releases tend to downplay the copied games part (and in court the complete opposite) but that is neither here nor there.
So can just about anything, such is selling second hand things.
I know ebay and amazon frown upon such things but as long as you know that and work around it you should be good.

When was this about whether they can get away with something or not? I'm sure the OP could find a way to sell the console while not mentioning it's banned either.

The Switch is easy enough to hack anyway so it's not like selling it pre-hacked is too big of a advantage.

OP is trying to sell the console while trying to avoid potential issues and this is one of them, not just legal ones e.g. someone tries to use it as an excuse for a refund.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far