Hardware Laptop Charging Problem

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Recently, my laptop, a Presario CQ62 Notebook PC (yay copy and paste) has been having steadily worsening charging issues. I bought this as a refurbished computer specifically for school back in August. I have a theory, but I figured I'd ask a group of generally knowledgeable people in the computer department for their thoughts so that I can consider my next step.

A month and half back, I pulled my laptop off the charger to do help out a friend with something. Not something my laptop isn't used to. Normally, my laptop just sits on a desk that, I'll admit, is somewhat crowded and doesn't provide absolutely perfect ventilation. When I went to plug it back in that night, I couldn't get it to charge at all. I just let my laptop sit normally for a few hours and hit the hay early that night. Around 4am, I woke up and couldn't sleep for awhile, so I plugged it back in. Boom, it started charging.

After that, I was honestly scared to pull it off the charger. When I went home for Thanksgiving, that was the first time it had been pulled from the charger in a few weeks. Upon plugging it back in at home, it seemed to charge fine. Upon taking it back to school, still seemingly the issue had gone. But then, I brought it home this time.

I enjoy watching Netflix in bed on my laptop (though I'm getting more accustomed to using my tablet due to these recent problems), and it seems that whenever I have the laptop at a weird angle for more than about 30 minutes, the laptop stops charging. No amount of cord fiddling ever fixes it. Yet, if I close the laptop, set it down as you normally would a laptop and leave the cable in, within about 30 minutes, my laptop starts charging once more.

Now, what I think:

I think the solder holding the charging port in place has stopped doing its job, and that my charging port doesn't sit in place right when I move the laptop around in odd positions. When I let it sit for a little while, the charging port re-centers, and the current starts flowing properly once more.

To note, I tried two different chargers, one from a computer that uses a charger identical to mine, and I ran into the same issues. As well, fiddling with the charger in absolutely any way does not seem to yield any result. That means the charger is likely entirely innocent.

To put my mind at ease, since I absolutely can not afford a new computer, but a simple repair could easily be taken care of by the right people for relatively cheap:

How likely is it that my charging port is connected to the motherboard (as in, physically connected to the degree that when broken, the entire motherboard has to be replaced), and that there's motherboard damage? Based on the odd charging issues only when the computer is angled, and it seeming to charge again only after the computer has essentially had time to settle, I'd like to say this is unlikely at least for my computer. I'm not willing to open it myself and look though, due to not exactly feeling competent enough to dismantle my computer and put it back together right.

Am I at least potentially on the right track? Because I figure if it's just the solder, it's probably a cheap repair.

Thanks in advance for any help, even if it's just affirmation that I'm not entirely stupid.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not all laptops have the charge jack soldered on to the motherboard (those that do are usually pretty sturdy), some are on a wire which plugs in to the motherboard, or a daughter board.

Most laptop charge problem I've seen comes from those 'three pin' chargers with a outer ring, outer-inner ring, and a small center pin. The small center pin does not make contact with the jack and the windows reports the charger is "plugged in, not charging"

If your laptop has this 'three pin' charger you probably want to replace the power jack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission