Kodi -- legal or illegal ?

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude that as utterly fuck all to do with the point of the thread.

also not that i am 100% sure on this, but illegal to own more than one channel/news paper, i do know the publishing industry and a lot of leading publications are owned by a larger chain of publishers, but again has no relevance to your logic to use as a defense to claim streaming illegal content is not illegal.

Broadly claiming illegality is not accurate since it varies entirely from country to country, an individuals personal access to the individual media in question, and the particular media.

Anyone deleting old emails is currently guilty a felony, not kidding or being hyperbolic.
https://www.wired.com/2016/06/admin-faces-felony-deleting-files-flawed-hacking-law/

So in a practical sense it comes down to ethics and potential consequences. Ethics I have no qualms on numerous fronts and potential consequences are practically non existent unless you are the uploader as BIFFTAZ pointed out being the norm so stream away.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
plugins such as exodus are illegal end of

I disagree with this statement, in so much as IMHO Exodus is more akin to a torrent client combined with torrent sites, such as TPB or KAT; it allows access to potentially illegal material but doesn't host it. Exodus, and all the similar Kodi apps, are the same, in that they scrape a number of streaming sources, but doesn't host it themselves.
The true illegality is the streaming sites hosting the pirated content.

Some of the other Kodi apps that can directly stream livesources (whether it be cams or live tv) are probably more shady in their legality than the likes of Exodus, because they are directly hijacking live streams.

Reactions: jimbo13

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Broadly claiming illegality is not accurate since it varies entirely from country to country, an individuals personal access to the individual media in question, and the particular media.

Anyone deleting old emails is currently guilty a felony, not kidding or being hyperbolic.
https://www.wired.com/2016/06/admin-faces-felony-deleting-files-flawed-hacking-law/

So in a practical sense it comes down to ethics and potential consequences. Ethics I have no qualms on numerous fronts and potential consequences are practically non existent unless you are the uploader as BIFFTAZ pointed out being the norm so stream away.
no matter what country, piracy is illegal.

and away you go going off topic again that has fuck all to do with the post.

to bring it back, kodi is not illegal, plugins such as exodus is, regardless of what country you reside.... the stream links are not paid for, thus is no different to downloading said movie or tv show.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I disagree with this statement, in so much as IMHO Exodus is more akin to a torrent client combined with torrent sites, such as TPB or KAT; it allows access to potentially illegal material but doesn't host it. Exodus, and all the similar Kodi apps, are the same, in that they scrape a number of streaming sources, but doesn't host it themselves.
The true illegality is the streaming sites hosting the pirated content.

Some of the other Kodi apps that can directly stream livesources (whether it be cams or live tv) are probably more shady in their legality than the likes of Exodus, because they are directly hijacking live streams.
all these plugins that are coded to scrape for links to movies/tv shows or what ever are illegal.

just because they dont host the file, it is created to give access.

its not like the argument pirate bay tried years ago, its not responsible for what its users put up, which in a sense can be right, as not all p2p files are illegal, you could use p2p to share your own content that you create/own.

but this is not the case, plugins such as exodus are solely to find and stream movies and tv shows that is illegal.

this is where people are getting it wrong thinking kodi is illegal, users who are selling boxes or sticks pre loaded with kodi and plugins to gain access to stream movies/tv shows/channels such as sky sports is then the part that makes it illegal.

no different to you selling a HDD full of copied dvds, if you was caught you could be prosecuted because you are violating the copyright law.

and this is no corrupt law before the dude starts ranting then gives a completely bs link off topic, you have the right to protect your product by law to stop people stealing it.

Last edited by ,

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no matter what country, piracy is illegal.

and away you go going off topic again that has fuck all to do with the post.

to bring it back, kodi is not illegal, plugins such as exodus is, regardless of what country you reside.... the stream links are not paid for, thus is no different to downloading said movie or tv show.

all these plugins that are coded to scrape for links to movies/tv shows or what ever are illegal.

just because they dont host the file, it is created to give access.

its not like the argument pirate bay tried years ago, its not responsible for what its users put up, which in a sense can be right, as not all p2p files are illegal, you could use p2p to share your own content that you create/own.

but this is not the case, plugins such as exodus are solely to find and stream movies and tv shows that is illegal.

this is where people are getting it wrong thinking kodi is illegal, users who are selling boxes or sticks pre loaded with kodi and plugins to gain access to stream movies/tv shows/channels such as sky sports is then the part that makes it illegal.

no different to you selling a HDD full of copied dvds, if you was caught you could be prosecuted because you are violating the copyright law.

and this is no corrupt law before the dude starts ranting then gives a completely bs link off topic, you have the right to protect your product by law to stop people stealing it.

It is perfectly legal in Spain & Switzerland to download copyrighted material for personal use, those are two I know just off hand there are numerous others. A lot of eastern European with communist roots the people have little concept of property rights let alone laws enforcing them. It's why China behaves as it does, IP & Copyright are British inventions with no cultural history or relevance to the people there.

Declaring a non existent world wide copyright law that everyone respects and acknowledges is childishly ignorant. You simply repeat the rather draconian viewpoint of the U.K (i'm guessing from the flag & argument, feel free to correct me if I am wrong) and current enforcement and repeating it as world wide gospel. It's not.

I'm discussing the ethics, as it is a world wide forum laws,beliefs & enforcement all vary.

If you want to discuss law, cite the specific law and whom it specifically applies to.

Last edited by jimbo13,

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice little read on the current law situation in the UK. Stream it like hot ;)

https://torrentfreak.com/streaming-pirate-content-isnt-illegal-uk-trading-standards-says-170306/

Basically says that current law is based on having a pirated copy downloaded in your possession, & is basically as illegal as watching a movie/tv show/music ripped from dvd/disc & uploaded to youtube (Even though they dont last long on there). The person commiting the crime in the law's eyes is the person that uploaded it, Not you that watched it.

Also, People saying addons like Exodus & Salts are illegal... They hold no content what so ever... They use scrappers that search the internet & point to links on streaming sites that host the movie/tv show/music content, You select the link & Kodi does the rest. Its like saying Bittorrent/internet browser's/youtube should be illegal because they too can be used to point to pirated content.
That's how I thought it worked everywhere but I guess just in the uk.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.redmondpie.com/kodi-might-soon-add-support-for-drm-heres-why/

For its part, the XBMC Foundation has already gone after those who sell Kodi pre-installed on low-powered media boxes and dongles with the express intent of providing such content, but that has not stopped content providers from refusing to understand that Kodi itself is not a tool for illegal content and that preventing it is not as easy as some may think

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

People will just user older builds and/or move on to something else. They started off as an app for cracked xbox's, were well aware for the following decade what people used it for and now they want monetize and run around feigning ignorance and acting like MPAA advocates whining at everyone. Assholes of a special class imo.

Their user base only exists because it was an open format, I am sure some korean set top box maker is eager to pay them once whatever they could of got through a month of patreon or some kind of ad support.

Last edited by jimbo13,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On piracy legal nowhere then technically, and beyond the more practical considerations posed earlier (outside of a face exercise you are unlike to get China to respond to a claim for a non Chinese IP sort of thing), a few years back international courts held that Antigua suspending interests in US copyright as a measure of international sanction following a trade dispute the US did not resolve was legal and thus it would appear to be a location in which piracy was legal... although if there is no law to break...
Linky
https://www.ip-watch.org/2013/01/28...gainst-us-by-suspending-ip-rights-protection/

it's like asking if Plex is illegal.
Plex itself isnt, but the way people uses it may be.
If you get your files from illegal sources, then no, Plex isn't in illegality, you are
In various court cases there end up phrases like "substantial non infringing uses", if the sole function of a given thing can be said to be infringement then it could well be illegal on its face and end users are another matter.

I don't know what plex does at this point and don't actually care right now either, just something to ponder as part of all this.

That said these last few years have been odd hearing about the streaming plugins as I never used ones for anything other than youtube and I think blip and the bbc iplayer stuff as well. Certainly while my local network has streamed a locally held ted talk or three the rest... have all been DVDs I owned but such uses were hazy at the time. To that end people speaking of xbmc/kodi as a mere frontend to the flavour of the month streaming plugin (or plugin installer/selector as the case may be) still plays as odd in my head.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kodi is for noobs.
Torrents are for noobs.

Authorities will always go after the noobs, they are easy prey and that's about all they can do really.
More advanced users know how/where to find stuff.

Real pirates don't share with noobs.

Arrr.

macd1876

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
EU laws set in 2011 and subsequent UK laws in 2013 in response to the EU laws, made streaming of any content legal, it is only illegal to download and keep a copy of copyrighted material, it is only illegal to upload the material. You must be incredibly thick to think that millions of people are doing something illegal and nobody has ever been prosecuted, so you really think the authorities would find it that difficult to prosecute of it was illegal. That is why the newspapers are full of scare stories of what might happen and amazon are under pressure to stop stocking fully loaded boxes, because it is the only way to stop it as the law is not on their side.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the real problem is where do you draw the line when it comes to streaming media...i dont think laws can be made to prevent copyrighted works being streamed.

what if i am watching a movie in my home that i purchased...then i have 6 people come over and watch the movie. they did not pay for the movie, they are considered pirates as they are using my paid license without paying.

it is infringing on copyright but it will never, and can never be illegal. its not feasible to consider it illegal to watch/hear something when you do not have a copy of it. if its just streaming its no different than looking over someones shoulder at their phone as they watch a video. see also the radio - same concept. radio is a 24/7 stream of copyrighted content that i can enjoy any time of day (yes the station pays it get that but still i listen for free).

kodi is not illegal
exodus is not illegal (it just scrapes the web)

the illegal activity is the person who records the content and uploads it somewhere as their own work.

Kodi is for noobs.
Torrents are for noobs.

Authorities will always go after the noobs, they are easy prey and that's about all they can do really.
More advanced users know how/where to find stuff.

Real pirates don't share with noobs.

Arrr.

LOL this is true - for those of us in it for the long haul - we know when and where to go YARRR

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what if i am watching a movie in my home that i purchased...then i have 6 people come over and watch the movie. they did not pay for the movie, they are considered pirates as they are using my paid license without paying.
Damn straight! Goddam moochers! At least bring some foo and wobblypops or pay up!

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kodi is to emulators as roms are to add on sources

Kodi is just a media streaming service, what sources get added to it are what make it legal/illegal.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That makes no sense. Thats like saying its ok to pirate as long as you werent the one that uploaded the content.

watching something that someone else posted is technically not illegal for the watcher.

its the intent that matters in law - if you INTEND to watch without purchasing, then you broke the law.

if i never intended to pay for the item, and someone shows me the copyrighted content, i did not commit a crime.

intent is 9/10ths of the law, thats one thing i know first hand and fo sho

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
watching something that someone else posted is technically not illegal for the watcher.

its the intent that matters in law - if you INTEND to watch without purchasing, then you broke the law.

if i never intended to pay for the item, and someone shows me the copyrighted content, i did not commit a crime.

intent is 9/10ths of the law, thats one thing i know first hand and fo sho
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorantia_juris_non_excusat

So I can pirate everything I want as long as I promise myself if I win the lottery to buy up everything I ever downloaded? Lets see how that works in court.

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...