"Kirby's Dream Land 2 DX", a full colorization hack by kkzero, has been released

The original Game Boy was home to a great library of beloved titles, like Pokemon and the Super Mario Land series, which spawned the Wario Land subseries of games as well.
A certain set of titles, Tetris and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, got their initial release on the Game Boy, but later on, they both got subsequent releases, receiving a new "DX" suffix in their title.
Tetris DX and Link's Awakening DX released as new Game Boy Color compatible games, adding an entire colorization for each game to take advantage of the Game Boy Color's new hardware, which allowed for a full set of palettes, even more than those of the original NES. Some even got added content, like in the case of Link's Awakening, which got a whole new dungeon based on the entire "color" gimmick, and awarding Link a new colored tunic with a special ability once completed.

Since then, many fans have dreamed of how their favourite monochrome Game Boy titles could have looked like if they got the full "DX" treatment back then, with some getting mockups online, and others getting only brief images of planned DX ports, like Metroid II: Return of Samus, but never seeing the light of day. However, in the past decade, the homebrew and hacking community has taken it upon themselves to fulfill these long-life dreams of fully colored Game Boy titles into a reality, and some renowned hackers, like Iván Delgado (toruzz) and Marc Robledo (marc_max), colorizing some of the most beloved titles of the library, like Super Mario Land DX and Mega Man World 5 DX.

This time, a user by the name of kkzero in Romhacking.net, decided to take it upon himself to give the full DX treatment to one of the most liked and charming titles of the original Game Boy library, Kirby's Dream Land 2. kkzero showcases just how a well done colorization can bring such a title to new lengths, giving it new life with vibrant and carefully selected colors for each stage and asset. He worked on this project for over a year, on-and-off on, colorizing this title, and his hard work has come to fruition, realized in a fully fledged and beautiful colorization, to which he expressed the following:

kkzero said:
Never would I have thought that butchering the text of Metroid Fusion with Google Translate five years ago would throw me down a path to colorizing one of the Game Boy's best games. This is undoubtedly the biggest project I have ever undertook, and it's finally available in a complete form. It's bound to make a lot of people happy, and it could very well change a part of my own world. I sincerely hope you enjoy what I've done for Kirby's Dream Land 2.

7724screenshot1.png
7724screenshot2.png
7724screenshot3.png
7724screenshot4.png

This isn't the first time kkzero has worked on a colorization project, as he has previously done other DX colorizations, like Faceball 2000 DX, King James Bible DX and even another Kirby title for the Game Boy, Kirby's Pinball Land DX.

Those interested in trying out this lovely DX hack, can download the patch on Romhacking.net and patch it over their Kirby's Dream Land 2 ROM.
As always, links to ROMs are not allowed, so users must rely on their legally (or dubiously) dumped copies to play this hack.

:arrow: Kirby's Dream Land 2 DX release page on RHDN

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That Rainbow Sword looks so cool!!! I always thought it was funny that they called it the Rainbow Sword but you couldn’t really see it unless you played it on a Super Game Boy.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Some of the color choices are not what I would have gone with, like the little stars you collect should still be white... Some of the colors are a bit glaring, but it works I guess.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

_Snow_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some of the color choices are not what I would have gone with, like the little stars you collect should still be white... Some of the colors are a bit glaring, but it works I guess.
Same. The romhack looks fantastic. Strangely more colourful than I imagined the game, but some colours to me are a bit off. I don't think it would be that difficult to alter those colours. All in all, incredible work. I've always wanted KDL2 to be in colour. Can't wait to try this out.

Reactions: Jayro and Marc_LFD

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
incoming DMCA! :creep:
For god's sake please guys, stop with that DMCA nonsense below each romhacking post.
Romhacks will never be DMCA'd, especially since they are not shared pre-patched (which would include the original rom). You have to source the rom yourself and patch it. Absolutely legal. Romhacking.net does exist for a reason.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we have nintendo doing fuck all, just porting more of its old shit but its beloved fans love it and defend them and pay for this shit as some sort of premium subscription.

Meanwhile rom hackers etc that nintendo love to force their legal dogs after and sue for millions in some fucked up "damages" claim.

And what do we see, the scene actually doing something better.... no shit there to be fair, everything nintendo does lately has already been done and done so better, or others come and do a better job at it than nintendo.

They've taken a "ROM" and made it into something beautiful.

Remind us again, what nintendo did when offering this old game as part of something of a premium service 🤔 ..... ohh yea, FUCK ALL.

There's litrally no point anymore even buying a nintendo console anymore, for too long they've gotten away recycling the same shit, porting the same shit, preventing third parties from actually supporting them with its new titles, so they end up having to port its old shit.

And what games nintendo do release most recently, are inferior and out dated and it's without a doubt no thanks to the hacking community that we can actually enjoy these games that play far better and have better features than its fucking original so called nintendo seal of quality bullshit they crap out.

So, nintendo gave up on consoles a long time ago, now its starting to show in its games, when its fanboys really start to see this, then maybe they'll wake up and see sense.

Your been bent over buying out dated inferior hardware, to play the same recycled shit that has no love put into it all because nintendo knows you'll bend over and ask how deep and you'll take it.

When people are playing nintendo console games on almost any other device but nintendo, and it runs far better, looks far superior, and you've not had to pay a single penny into nintendos greedy hands.

Reactions: Ligeia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone