• Start date
  • Views 5,758
  • Replies 67

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My name is Kid Game Designer, and I'm going to be copying my introductions from my blog: kidgamedesigner.blogspot.com because I'm lazy. XD

My name on this forum will be "Kid Game Designer" until I can reveal my full name without my parents freaking out. I am (currently) a twelve year old that LOVES games, especially RPG ones from Nintendo. I also have a blog that will keep my portfolio. This blog will (hopefully) be about my adventures so I can be a game designer.

I can only see four outcomes from this blog:

1. My parents will find out before the age of 18 and ground me for building a web site when I'm strictly am not supposed too.
2. I will not become a game designer, thus destroying the purpose of this blog.
3. I will be become a game designer, and people hiring me can see all of my posts from 12+.
4. I will rage quit.

#3 is what I want, but will least likely happen. #1 is what I most certainly don't want, but will most likely happen. Oh well. Let's see how far this blog goes. I plan to post as much as possible about me and my "Gaming" plans. Don't expect this site to be much about game design yet, since I need 6 years to get my career focus in the correct path.

Thank you guys, but I'm not much into the coding aspect. I'm actually starting to lean towards the story part of video games more than design, but I'm still want to be a designer since I love making games. (And because I like to make the rules and be bossy...)

That is a bit of a shift to go from wanting to be a designer to wanting more involvement in stories than design.. while still wanting to be a designer @_@

I speak from experience when I say this. Figuring out where you want to take your life before finishing with school and entering the real world is extremely difficult. It's like those 5 year olds who say "When I grow up, I want to be a firefighter!". I don't have numbers, but I assure you the amount of kids who like to fight imaginary fires and want to make that their life-long dream that actually become fire fighters is quite low.

Do what you want though. Having a hobby is never a bad thing, whether it is hacking/editing old games, designing homebrew or even playing games. Just don't close off all other options that may present themselves in your life since the real world isn't always as kind to those who are fueled on their dreams.

When I was younger, I had convinced myself that I wanted to be a computer technician and perform repairs/system upgrades or even design systems for people.. Almost 10 years later and I am employed in a field that is completely different from that, and I am planning to go to college to work towards something completely different yet again. Building/upgrading computers is still a hobby for me, but the passion I had for it before will likely never return due to having a better understanding of the world around me.

Edit: To clarify, I am not trying to discourage you at all and not wanting to start a flame war.. I am just saying that although it is what you want to be now, it might not be what you want to be in 5, 10 or 15 years from now. The future is important to think about since we are forever moving towards it.

Reactions: 1 person

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest that you learn and master html coding first. Being that you have a website, you probably already have learned it. Next, I suggest java or C(++ or #). I've learned a bit of Java and I've gotten the grip on html, but It can still be quite the pain. C++ is used in operating systems, etc. Minecraft was made using Java, but it's over 9,000 lines of code. It takes about 500 lines (in my experience) to make a basic calculator.

D

Deleted User

OP
Thank you guys, but I'm not much into the coding aspect. I'm actually starting to lean towards the story part of video games more than design, but I'm still want to be a designer since I love making games. (And because I like to make the rules and be bossy...)
It's pretty hard to just jump into game design already, but if you can't do art, music, or code then you're pretty much screwed.
So instead, you should, again, look at Corona. Corona helps you make games for iOS and Android with very easy to learn code.

I might do that. I could be help me get a better job... don't worry though. I'm not going to go to Nintendo at age 13 and say "I WANNA BE SHIGERU MIYAMOTO!!!!"

And I'm not screwed in music, I can draw decently, and I'm working on coding. I think creative writing skills also helps.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty hard to just jump into game design already, but if you can't do art, music, or code then you're pretty much screwed.
So instead, you should, again, look at Corona. Corona helps you make games for iOS and Android with very easy to learn code.

I might do that. I could be help me get a better job... don't worry though. I'm not going to go to Nintendo at age 13 and say "I WANNA BE SHIGERU MIYAMOTO!!!!"

And I'm not screwed in music, I can draw decently, and I'm working on coding. I think creative writing skills also helps.
Screw getting a job.

Make games and sell them. We don't need EA and Activision handling them. The only way to get into the game industry is kicking and screaming.

D

Deleted User

OP
My name is Kid Game Designer, and I'm going to be copying my introductions from my blog: kidgamedesigner.blogspot.com because I'm lazy. XD

My name on this forum will be "Kid Game Designer" until I can reveal my full name without my parents freaking out. I am (currently) a twelve year old that LOVES games, especially RPG ones from Nintendo. I also have a blog that will keep my portfolio. This blog will (hopefully) be about my adventures so I can be a game designer.

I can only see four outcomes from this blog:

1. My parents will find out before the age of 18 and ground me for building a web site when I'm strictly am not supposed too.
2. I will not become a game designer, thus destroying the purpose of this blog.
3. I will be become a game designer, and people hiring me can see all of my posts from 12+.
4. I will rage quit.

#3 is what I want, but will least likely happen. #1 is what I most certainly don't want, but will most likely happen. Oh well. Let's see how far this blog goes. I plan to post as much as possible about me and my "Gaming" plans. Don't expect this site to be much about game design yet, since I need 6 years to get my career focus in the correct path.

That is a bit of a shift to go from wanting to be a designer to wanting more involvement in stories than design.. while still wanting to be a designer @_@

I speak from experience when I say this. Figuring out where you want to take your life before finishing with school and entering the real world is extremely difficult. It's like those 5 year olds who say "When I grow up, I want to be a firefighter!". I don't have numbers, but I assure you the amount of kids who like to fight imaginary fires and want to make that their life-long dream that actually become fire fighters is quite low.

Do what you want though. Having a hobby is never a bad thing, whether it is hacking/editing old games, designing homebrew or even playing games. Just don't close off all other options that may present themselves in your life since the real world isn't always as kind to those who are fueled on their dreams.

When I was younger, I had convinced myself that I wanted to be a computer technician and perform repairs/system upgrades or even design systems for people.. Almost 10 years later and I am employed in a field that is completely different from that, and I am planning to go to college to work towards something completely different yet again. Building/upgrading computers is still a hobby for me, but the passion I had for it before will likely never return due to having a better understanding of the world around me.

Edit: To clarify, I am not trying to discourage you at all and not wanting to start a flame war.. I am just saying that although it is what you want to be now, it might not be what you want to be in 5, 10 or 15 years from now. The future is important to think about since we are forever moving towards it.

Hmm... that's something to think about. But for now, I'll try it and see what I can do. Besides, isn't Tetsuya Nomura a designer, director, and story writer all in one? Well, that would be kind of hard... but you get my point. It's 1%, but it's not impossible. BTW, the forum looks nice. Some people are haters, but there are always some of those. There are some people I don't like, but maybe it's because I'm 12, I don't know. But I'm gonna give this forum an 89% on my first impression.

Reactions: 1 person

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Why hello there.

I see you want to be a game designer.

Coding and graphics are relatively easy once you get the hang of it. You gotta start somewhere. Consider taking some local Photoshop or C++ classes.

Hint: Learn an easy language first and build your way up. Learn how a common language works, and you'll find that many others work the same way.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An alternative to the big players on the scene at the moment would be nice, but most Indie gaming studios usually stick to games like Plants vs Zombies or Angry Birds. But, they do still make a bit of $$ off it :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1