Hacking Kernel 2.0 RC2 (6-29)

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
how about the 4GB above Kingston users like me? is this fixed already? I'll be buying my second DSi flashcart as soon as I have the money then proceed with M3i Zero whe it's available.

I hope I will not be disappointed with this card when I buy one

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Copy of newspost for new release

ez5logo.gif
EZ5 kernel 2.0 rc3 30th June 2009 and EZ5i update
quick bugfix for EZ5i freezing issue.
ez5fam_ref.png

The EZTeam have released kernel 2.0 RC3 for the EZ5 (all versions) and a updated firmware for the EZ5i (more on the below), this is a quick bugfix for the RC2 released yesterday aimed at those still with freezing problems. Other users can still use it though.

EZ5i firmware update
The EZTeam also released an updated firmware (also known as the core loader, internal firmware and similar names) for the EZ5i bringing it up to v9, this aims to fix problems some users with the 2.0 kernels.
Simply download the file, place it on the root of the memory card you are using and launch it from the loader before following the on screen instructions.
The EZTeam recommend that the DS is fully charged at least, plugged into the wall is better.
Users of older EZ5 models please ignore this.

icon11.gif
EZFlash.cn thread (Chinese)
icon11.gif
EZFlash US forums thread
download.gif
GBAtemp download (2.0 rc3 kernel)
download.gif
GBAtemp download (v9 EZ5i firmware (only for EZ5i))
discuss.png
Discuss

No cheats are included in the downloads but you can grab cheats from the GBAtemp cheat database.
If you are new to this you want the ??_??_??_USRCHEAT.DAT.zip (the ?? changes with date) and once you have it extract the USRCHEAT.DAT file from the zip into the EZ5Shell folder.

Thanks to 9600pro for the news.

Lupigen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Curious. I tried the firmware updater in Kernel 2.0rc3, but it said that my card (Hardware VER[705] FirmVer[500]) didn't need the update. I restarted and went back to the main EZ-Flash menu, but this time I decided to try a game, and it actually started up. No freezes during the loading process. Looks like they figured out what the problem is, with no firmware update required, which makes me wonder what hardware version the firmware update is meant for.

Mbmax: I already went over my experience with the freezing issue in a previous Kernel 2.0 topic. You may want to let raing3 know that if it started working on mine in rc3, then this kernel should fix his card's issue.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lupigen said:
Curious. I tried the firmware updater in Kernel 2.0rc3, but it said that my card (Hardware VER[705] FirmVer[500]) didn't need the update. I restarted and went back to the main EZ-Flash menu, but this time I decided to try a game, and it actually started up. No freezes during the loading process. Looks like they figured out what the problem is, with no firmware update required, which makes me wonder what hardware version the firmware update is meant for.

Mbmax: I already went over my experience with the freezing issue in a previous Kernel 2.0 topic. You may want to let raing3 know that if it started working on mine in rc3, then this kernel should fix his card's issue.
I was about to give you a fixed kernel for the freezing problem but the team has done a public release today and you are not impacted.
wink.gif

Concerning firmware update, if the updater says you ezvi does not need an update it's just because your hardware version does not need it (i have the same version [705]).

Hope you will enjoy this RC3 kernel.
wink.gif

QUOTE(elixirdream @ Jun 30 2009, 12:17 PM) Mbmax,
they mentioned they will release another update by this week!
http://www.ezflash.cn/discuz/thread-11863-1-1.html

yes, apparently i know someone who is having the problem
smile.gif

EDIT: rc3 is out as we speak!

EDIT2: apparently it works for my friend and he is able to load commercial rom
Thanks for the feedback. I think we can now say, all ezvi are able to run the kernel 2.0 RC3.
At last !

Islay

Trophies
XP
Country
Upgrade to 9.0 failed dramatically saying it didn't need it, but the new version of 2.0 works epicly*seeing as it loads all my game, and most of my home brew, the ones that work, work epicly*

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I noticed games still crash occasionally, but it's better then it was. Worms Openwarfare 2 freezes sometimes or it stalls for a moment between turns and I have noticed Advance Wars: Days of Ruin crashes as well. The odd thing is that any of the loading issues I have had were with trimmed files, for instance I had a copy of Worms OW2 on my card that was trimmed to 13 MB, wouldn't start up and would just sit at a black screen after loading from the menu, so I went and put the full 32 MB game file and it loads properly. Methinks there might be some compatibility issues with trimmed games, although I haven't trimmed any of my ROM files in ages since I no longer have the software and I still have about 30 games on my 4GB microSD card, just that one game happened to be trimmed from when it was on one of my old carts.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And like I said in a previous post, some cards, both transflash memory and the EZ Flash Vi itself might have some compatibility issues, all depends on where you bought your flash card and what kind of memory card you are using.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Chris_Skylock : Try to do the firmware v9 update, it will display you the ezvi hardware version.
[705] does not need this update.
wink.gif

And to those who wants to help in debugging process, next step is to fix the cheat engine so it work perfectly.
Please report cheat engine bugs in here so the team can improve it.

Be precise (take a look at one of my report) !

Thanks.
wink.gif

divx118

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still having the issue of not being able to load comercial games even on the old 1.9 beta 11. I tried the firmware update, but I have the 705 version so it is not needed.
I have a US DSI with 1.3u and the EZflash Vi
I tried several brands sd cards formatted them with the panasonic tool.
Is there a bug trace available for the 2.0 RC3 kernel so that I can look where it hangs. It must be right at beginning of loading the game just after creating the save file, because the save file gets created.

Thanks in advance,

Maurice
cool.gif

divx118

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mbmax said:
Even in kernel 1.90OB11 ? Wow. your EZVi has probably an hardware failure.
Do you use clean NDS dump ?

Yes, I use clean NDS dump. Maybe it is a hardware failure. Tomorrow I will have a DS lite available to test on, if it will work on that then it is probably software related.
If it is a hardware failure why is it booting perfectly, browsing and every thing works fine?
Is there a way so that I can see what it is doing when I start a game. I saw in an other thread something about creating a DEBUG.BIN ?

Thanks,

Maurice
cool.gif

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cheats aren't working for me Mbmax, although I am using USRCHEAT.DAT and not the EZFLASH file, is that a problem? I am able to turn on cheats, but nothing happens when I launch a game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i dont use it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i use the "center camera in object" action
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i cant find that smart camera extension
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, its called Smooth Camera
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa we should have a meeting with other forum memebers and take shrooms
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    i think you would be a great trip guider
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh, I'd wonder off somewhere probably
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey made some Sun tea yesterday, and cut up some peaches in let sit in there w the teabags, shit is Da bomb. Bout to try it with some peach vodka..
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa sounds wish we could see Randy on south park do that , drinking the peach vodka
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, im more of a casual south park fan, i dont watch it that often
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its gluten free
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol it's too offensive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh not that good, not many alcohols taste good in tea. At least I haven't found any.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I tried that peach alcohol in cans tasted like crap
  • F @ foresthag:
    You could fermen(tea). That'd taste excellent. Or make you go blind, who is to say?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Twisted tea iirc
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only one I liked was that mikes hard lemonade tea, but i couldn't drink it all day
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, gonna make a jumping sprite
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add platform character behavior to any sprite, just disable the default controls for it, and make it jump/move in your code. The rectangle behavior is cool too for enemies.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, how is it cool?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and i meant jumping sprite for the player
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It makes it move around constantly in different directions, like a enemy moving back n forth from one side to other
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and i dont think the rectangular movement behavior works for platform games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it does. And you can add platform character behavior to your own charcter, and it will have move and jump already setup for you, space bar is jump, arrows move
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i already added the platform character behaviour to the player since i started doing this
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, i already added the platform character behaviour to the player since i started doing this +1