JXD S7800? Seems like a pretty obscure device.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Titanium backup
The apk file file will be in a compressed archive, just unpack it and the apk will be in it

Actually, hold on. After I did a back up in Titanium. I got a compressed file with the APK, then two compressed files with a com.XXX folder instide of two data folders.
Both Alien Breed and Awesome Land present me with folders like this. Strange thing is that neither the data folder inside the Android folder on the SD, or the data folder in the root of the SD have such folders. Where could these files go?

EDIT: I uninstalled Awesome land, re-installed it only using the APK and all seems well. Guess those folders are not needed. Must contain scores and such I presume.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those other folders are for user data, not needed unless you want your scores levels, settings, ect just the way you had them

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few things...

Looks like MAME4droid (0.139u1) plays well with the S7800A. Even B Rap Boys is working!!!

Movies run great, 1080p on down.

HDMI is fine no slow downs.

CHKCPU claims Dosbox is running at about 45Mhz yet System Shock was horribly sluggish. TMNT works fine though. ;)

epsxe is now fine, audio and all (so far). Enjoying the Translated Japanese version of Symphony of the Night via HDMI.

SNES and GBA are fine. RetroArch still sucks.

Still can't find a decent port of DOOM that just works.

I've noticed that any program where you have to map virtual controls to the joysticks and button, eventually lead to problems. I.E. if you are holding right and try to jump, the jump does not always register, or the holding of right (or left) does not register, thus makeing Awesome Land and Alien Breed unplayable in the end.

EDIT: Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder is choppy. Booooo! :/

Iroinically Star Wars Arcade (not the classic version) runs almost full speed... ?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few things...

Looks like MAME4droid (0.139u1) plays well with the S7800A. Even B Rap Boys is working!!!

Movies run great, 1080p on down.

HDMI is fine no slow downs.

CHKCPU claims Dosbox is running at about 45Mhz yet System Shock was horribly sluggish. TMNT works fine though. ;)

epsxe is now fine, audio and all (so far). Enjoying the Translated Japanese version of Symphony of the Night via HDMI.

SNES and GBA are fine. RetroArch still sucks.

Still can't find a decent port of DOOM that just works.

I've noticed that any program where you have to map virtual controls to the joysticks and button, eventually lead to problems. I.E. if you are holding right and try to jump, the jump does not always register, or the holding of right (or left) does not register, thus makeing Awesome Land and Alien Breed unplayable in the end.

EDIT: Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder is choppy. Booooo! :/

Iroinically Star Wars Arcade (not the classic version) runs almost full speed... ?

The fact that RetroArch runs like crap is a turnoff for me TBH, I was looking forward to using it, but looks like the S7800 A doesn't cut it. Maybe a Shield would be the better option; it just sounds more and more appealing.

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that RetroArch runs like crap is a turnoff for me TBH, I was looking forward to using it, but looks like the S7800 A doesn't cut it. Maybe a Shield would be the better option; it just sounds more and more appealing.

Yes, I can't even get it to load Sega CD or Turbo CD images.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up buying a JXD S7800 last week from geek buying for about $148(used a $10 off coupon too, but I also got better S&H, hdmi, and screen protector) and got it about 3 days ago. I installed the newest webclaw with it. Fair warning though, don't run any benchmark when you have the charger hooked up. In fact try not to play games with it in. I noticed it'll get kind of hot which isn't good.

Point is when I ran antutu(or w/e its called) it got so hot to the point I considered going back to the original firmware. Turns out you're not supposed to run heavy duty stuff while it's charging, who knew?

Anyway's even with the stock firmware I loved it. One thing I noticed was the analog sticks. You know how the Wii nunchuck is? the analog sticks have that diagonal feel to it not like a normal circle with other controllers. The analog sticks feel like that. The dpad is pretty nice too. It feels kind of like it has a cheaper-ish rubber under it, like a 3rd party controller, but the dpad works wonders. The button's also feel like that but as far as comfort goes they all work well.

I can't gripe about the machine, it works really really well. It plays the games I want to play, installs the software I want installed, and I even managed to get it working with eclipse(android development). The stock firmware work's as it should. As I said I eventually installed webclaw but until then I didn't have issues installing programs, downloading emulators, or roms, using happy chick(I have that installed even with webclaw).

HOWEVER! while the JXD S7800 is pretty nice you can buy the Nvidia Shield for $200 now. That's just $50 more for a far more powerful system. My benchmark score was 20k with webclaw, 17k with default(1.4ghz), Shield benchmarks at over 32k+. Consider this when purchasing the JXD. I don't regret my purchase though as I absolutely love the thing. I hate the charger though :|

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up buying a JXD S7800 last week from geek buying for about $148(used a $10 off coupon too, but I also got better S&H, hdmi, and screen protector) and got it about 3 days ago. I installed the newest webclaw with it. Fair warning though, don't run any benchmark when you have the charger hooked up. In fact try not to play games with it in. I noticed it'll get kind of hot which isn't good.

Point is when I ran antutu(or w/e its called) it got so hot to the point I considered going back to the original firmware. Turns out you're not supposed to run heavy duty stuff while it's charging, who knew?

Anyway's even with the stock firmware I loved it. One thing I noticed was the analog sticks. You know how the Wii nunchuck is? the analog sticks have that diagonal feel to it not like a normal circle with other controllers. The analog sticks feel like that. The dpad is pretty nice too. It feels kind of like it has a cheaper-ish rubber under it, like a 3rd party controller, but the dpad works wonders. The button's also feel like that but as far as comfort goes they all work well.

I can't gripe about the machine, it works really really well. It plays the games I want to play, installs the software I want installed, and I even managed to get it working with eclipse(android development). The stock firmware work's as it should. As I said I eventually installed webclaw but until then I didn't have issues installing programs, downloading emulators, or roms, using happy chick(I have that installed even with webclaw).

HOWEVER! while the JXD S7800 is pretty nice you can buy the Nvidia Shield for $200 now. That's just $50 more for a far more powerful system. My benchmark score was 20k with webclaw, 17k with default(1.4ghz), Shield benchmarks at over 32k+. Consider this when purchasing the JXD. I don't regret my purchase though as I absolutely love the thing. I hate the charger though :|

The thing is, is the price drop for the Shield permanent or temporary; I don't have the money to get an Android gaming device yet, I hope that by the time I do, the price remains the same and doesn't decide to go back up to 300 without me know ;) :P The only major complaint I've heard about the nVidia Shield is how it gets uncomfortable after a while of holding.

Edit: After doing a Google search, Newegg, Gamestop and Fry's Electronics have it for $200.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the new price is $200 for the time being. I had the money(and still do) to get a shield but I took into consideration of how comfortable it would be. I can sit there for hours playing the JXD and it doesn't get to me. It's kind of like playing a Wii U except strangely enough the Wii U is lighter. I haven't had the time to play many games though(college) but I did grab a few like the Sonic games which are just a blast. The one game I played the most though was Perfect Dark. I was trying to adjust the n64 emulator to the best possible settings. Anyways it felt great.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the new price is $200 for the time being. I had the money(and still do) to get a shield but I took into consideration of how comfortable it would be. I can sit there for hours playing the JXD and it doesn't get to me. It's kind of like playing a Wii U except strangely enough the Wii U is lighter. I haven't had the time to play many games though(college) but I did grab a few like the Sonic games which are just a blast. The one game I played the most though was Perfect Dark. I was trying to adjust the n64 emulator to the best possible settings. Anyways it felt great.

I know they're coming out with a new Shield (I think) so that might explain the price drop, the JXD however, is a bit of a concern, the retailer GeekBuying has screwed over a few customers on the Dingoonity forums and actually cancelled the shipments without consent and had issues with customs, that's what I don't want to happen should I get the B model, that and end up getting the wrong device. Might need to get it from DinoDirect or something.

Edit: Yep, the Shield is discounted on the nVidia store :D

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As soon as I ordered from GeekBuying I waited a day and asked them how long it would take to start shipping as the website hasn't updated yet. They said they had already shipped it and provided me the shipping code and even apologized for the update delay. From there it went through customs(took about 2-3 days) and eventually DHL got it and sent it to me. It took about a week to get here. Only issue I had was the DHL website not working. I contacted DHL and they gave me another code and it worked just fine.

The first thing I noticed about the S7800 is that on the bottom of the machine it had 2014 [some other numbers] so I had got the newest model revision that I was aware of. So I know they at least carry the latest revisions.

And yeah I heard they're coming out with a Shield 2. Android devices are like PC's. You can end up buying a top of the line PC and in 6 months your product is too old. In this case I went with the JXD knowing I wouldn't have the best of the best, but it was good enough :D

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As soon as I ordered from GeekBuying I waited a day and asked them how long it would take to start shipping as the website hasn't updated yet. They said they had already shipped it and provided me the shipping code and even apologized for the update delay. From there it went through customs(took about 2-3 days) and eventually DHL got it and sent it to me. It took about a week to get here. Only issue I had was the DHL website not working. I contacted DHL and they gave me another code and it worked just fine.

The first thing I noticed about the S7800 is that on the bottom of the machine it had 2014 [some other numbers] so I had got the newest model revision that I was aware of. So I know they at least carry the latest revisions.

And yeah I heard they're coming out with a Shield 2. Android devices are like PC's. You can end up buying a top of the line PC and in 6 months your product is too old. In this case I went with the JXD knowing I wouldn't have the best of the best, but it was good enough :D

As long as I can run Snes, PSX, GBA, etc emulators along with Netflix well, that's all I really care about, not worried about something being obsolete half a year later. Still, it'll be a little bit before I can get anything :D

I hope emulators let you hide the OSD controls because they'd drive me crazy.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of which no matter what android device you choose be aware there are a crap load of emulators.

For ex. you have vgba-m and that's fine but then you have My Boy which is considered the best. In PSX you have FPSE and ePSXe. For N64 emulation you have mupen64 or super n64. the list gets rather lengthy. Some of them even include cloud saves using google drive.

The only ones I can think of that are considered "the best of the best" is PPSSPP(PSP), reicast(dreamcast), and GNES(SNES).

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of which no matter what android device you choose be aware there are a crap load of emulators.

For ex. you have vgba-m and that's fine but then you have My Boy which is considered the best. In PSX you have FPSE and ePSXe. For N64 emulation you have mupen64 or super n64. the list gets rather lengthy. Some of them even include cloud saves using google drive.

The only ones I can think of that are considered "the best of the best" is PPSSPP(PSP), reicast(dreamcast), and GNES(SNES).

GNes doesn't use Blargg's new core from Snes9x 1.52 (resulting in inferior SPC700/S-SMP audio emulation), but Snes9x EX+ does, so the sound emulation far superior (compared videos on YouTube and such lol), there's also RetroArch, which has many emulator cores in one, so there's that option too. Too bad ePSXe costs money though. :unsure:

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of them cost money and see, this just proves my point lol there's too many emulators. I didn't even know about Snes9x EX+ yet I knew about the guys other emulators.

JXD doesn't work well with retroarch unless I missed something.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of them cost money and see, this just proves my point lol there's too many emulators. I didn't even know about Snes9x EX+ yet I knew about the guys other emulators.

JXD doesn't work well with retroarch unless I missed something.

I know the model B works well with it from what I've seen, the A model might not be up to par CPU-wise, but EX+ needs at least a 1 GHz CPU, has pretty much full compatibility and perfect sound, if RetroArch doesn't work, there are a lot of good standalone emulators, one called MD.emu, GBA.emu or something like that :P

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last I downloaded it Retroarch wouldn't run GBA games. I think I "might" have tampered with a setting I wasn't supposed to though. It was odd that it would run at.. I dunno, 5FPS? it was super slow.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last I downloaded it Retroarch wouldn't run GBA games. I think I "might" have tampered with a setting I wasn't supposed to though. It was odd that it would run at.. I dunno, 5FPS? it was super slow.

Yeah, sounds like a setting got mixed up, as I've seen GBA run full speed on the Wii with RetroArch (some games were 55/60 fps), could have enabled rewinding by accident, it's happened to me. Failing that, GBA.emu might do the trick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.