JXD S7800? Seems like a pretty obscure device.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Shields tear the JXDs a new one it has to be said in terms of power but god damn they are ugly and not very ergonomical from the time I got to mess around with one.

Having said that, the reason the shield has come down in price I believe is because a new model is just around the corner.

Reactions: the_randomizer

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Shields tear the JXDs a new one it has to be said in terms of power but god damn they are ugly and not very ergonomical from the time I got to mess around with one.

Having said that, the reason the shield has come down in price I believe is because a new model is just around the corner.

Cool, I may just buy one used later down the road, unless JXD grants me an instant refund which I don't see happening for some reason.

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I am playing the Castlevania Rhonda of Blood remake on the latest PPSSPP and I'm surprise to say that it runs about 99% perfect thus far. The only flaw I see is the rare but occasional audio crackle... nothing to keep the game play from being fun.

So in short, if I'm stuck with the S7800A... things could be worse. Still wish I had a refund so I could get a Shield though.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I am playing the Castlevania Rhonda of Blood remake on the latest PPSSPP and I'm surprise to say that it runs about 99% perfect thus far. The only flaw I see is the rare but occasional audio crackle... nothing to keep the game play from being fun.

So in short, if I'm stuck with the S7800A... things could be worse. Still wish I had a refund so I could get a Shield though.

From what I know, the S7800A has a lower clockspeed than the B, but the PowerVR graphics that is in it is massively superior to the Mali 400 in the B model. You also dont get the video playback issues on the A either. In short, Id wager that it doesnt have the HDMI issues as well!

Also, if you can run Rondo of blood at native resolution (IE have PPSSPP run and upscale the game to 1280x800) without much of a hiccup then your S7800A is doing a better job the B can do running at 1.6ghz, I've just tested it.

What do they clock at anyway, 1ghz?

With regards to PPSSPP emulation, you could do worse than to look at my topic over on Dingooniity to make pretty much any game run full speed:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/full-speed-ppsspp-on-s7800/

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I'd let my S7800 go as there is an even better option in terms of power than the shield if your prepared to have a bluetooth controller and a tablet. These are about the best thing money can buy for gaming at the moment:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Tegra-Android-4-2-2-Jelly/dp/B00H3XMQCW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1395957722&sr=8-4&keywords=tegra note

Well, as long as controllers can work with it, might be a good alternative. I might go with a Shield or G5A :P

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, as long as controllers can work with it, might be a good alternative. I might go with a Shield or G5A :P

The S7800A I know has a slower CPU clockspeed than that B. But the PowerVR is miles better than the Mali and more than makes up for it in my opinion. Lets not forget, the S7800A usually retails for a higher price than the B. People just look at the 1ghz of the A versus the 1.6ghz of the B and think they are getting a rough deal. But most people know that clock speed doesn't really mean shit in a lot of circumstances.

In fairness, knowing that the A version doesn't have the issues the B version has, if XDel was UK based, I'd trade! lol

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The S7800A I know has a slower CPU clockspeed than that B. But the PowerVR is miles better than the Mali and more than makes up for it in my opinion. Lets not forget, the S7800A usually retails for a higher price than the B. People just look at the 1ghz of the A versus the 1.6ghz of the B and think they are getting a rough deal. But most people know that clock speed doesn't really mean shit in a lot of circumstances.

In fairness, knowing that the A version doesn't have the issues the B version has, if XDel was UK based, I'd trade! lol

True, but it handles PPSSPP and Mupen64 AE well enough? I wonder if the HDMI issues are gone, and I think they should be on that GPU.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
True, but it handles PPSSPP and Mupen64 AE well enough? I wonder if the HDMI issues are gone, and I think they should be on that GPU.

The HDMI issues im pretty sure wont be there because its a total different (and better) chipset.

Mupen64 Will run fine on it im sure (well, emulator restricted anyway, as the emulators for N64 for me just arent up to scratch yet for android anyway aside from Mario and Zelda etc)

In short, in my opinion I think the A series are probably the better buy, I just didn't think they were out in the wild anymore.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The HDMI issues im pretty sure wont be there because its a total different (and better) chipset.

Mupen64 Will run fine on it im sure (well, emulator restricted anyway, as the emulators for N64 for me just arent up to scratch yet for android anyway aside from Mario and Zelda etc)

In short, in my opinion I think the A series are probably the better buy, I just didn't think they were out in the wild anymore.

Good to know that, but should I still be wary about having shipment issues and/or possible delays in US customs? I remember someone on those forums that said they took it back after cancelling his shipment (Geekbuying I believe).

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good to know that, but should I still be wary about having shipment issues and/or possible delays in US customs? I remember someone on those forums that said they took it back after cancelling his shipment (Geekbuying I believe).

To be honest, if it was me buying one, I'd just source one in your own country. Yes it may cost you 10% more or so but its just not worth the hassle in my opinion in getting something shipped from China. Its too much of a ballache if you have issues.

To put it another way, your thinking of getting an Nvidia Shield right? You wouldn't order that from China would you, even if it saved you 10%?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, if it was me buying one, I'd just source one in your own country. Yes it may cost you 10% more or so but its just not worth the hassle in my opinion in getting something shipped from China. Its too much of a ballache if you have issues.

To put it another way, your thinking of getting an Nvidia Shield right? You wouldn't order that from China would you, even if it saved you 10%?

Well, they have the JXD on Amazon and eBay, but I'm sure they ship from Hong Kong, the nVidia Shield would ship from the states. I'd rather buy it domestically to be honest, and not have it go through customs and/or possibly be withheld. I've seen a lot of horror stories with shipping from China from a lot of users, top that with the fact JXD doesn't really care about compensation. So no, I wouldn't order it from China, but unfortunately, I've yet to see an s7800 sold in the states.

Edit: A nice showcase

RetroArch :D

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, they have the JXD on Amazon and eBay, but I'm sure they ship from Hong Kong, the nVidia Shield would ship from the states. I'd rather buy it domestically to be honest, and not have it go through customs and/or possibly be withheld. I've seen a lot of horror stories with shipping from China from a lot of users, top that with the fact JXD doesn't really care about compensation. So no, I wouldn't order it from China, but unfortunately, I've yet to see an s7800 sold in the states.

Edit: A nice showcase

RetroArch :D

The Shield now that you can get it for the cheaper price is a no brainer really. If only it didnt have a tiny screen! :angry: Its a classic case of once you try a bigger screen its not easy to go back to a smaller one. But I guess if this is your first device you wont mind lol

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Shield now that you can get it for the cheaper price is a no brainer really. If only it didnt have a tiny screen! :angry: Its a classic case of once you try a bigger screen its not easy to go back to a smaller one. But I guess if this is your first device you wont mind lol

I just hope the price drop is permanent since I can't quite afford it yet, but now that I finally found a job, it's no longer an impossibility :D At least the screen is 720p, and seems to have a pretty good battery life :P Emulation shouldn't be an issue at all!

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just hope the price drop is permanent since I can't quite afford it yet, but now that I finally found a job, it's no longer an impossibility :D At least the screen is 720p, and seems to have a pretty good battery life :P Emulation shouldn't be an issue at all!

Yeah I would consider one myself if the price was the same over here. But the cheapest you can get the for here brand new is about £240. Which is believe is approaching $350. Just too much

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I know, the S7800A has a lower clockspeed than the B, but the PowerVR graphics that is in it is massively superior to the Mali 400 in the B model. You also dont get the video playback issues on the A either. In short, Id wager that it doesnt have the HDMI issues as well!

Also, if you can run Rondo of blood at native resolution (IE have PPSSPP run and upscale the game to 1280x800) without much of a hiccup then your S7800A is doing a better job the B can do running at 1.6ghz, I've just tested it.

What do they clock at anyway, 1ghz?

With regards to PPSSPP emulation, you could do worse than to look at my topic over on Dingooniity to make pretty much any game run full speed:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/full-speed-ppsspp-on-s7800/

1Ghz, will have to test the HDMI, and Castlevania does eventually slow way down after the first level. A shame. Even PSX is slow. A shame. GBA is fine though, but I don't expect to be able to tax DosBOX much.

Aside of the feel of the hardware itself, I don't care much for it, it's just like being confined to the same rom sets that I can already do on my Wii, XBOX classic, and even DSiXL in many cases.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1Ghz, will have to test the HDMI, and Castlevania does eventually slow way down after the first level. A shame. Even PSX is slow. A shame. GBA is fine though, but I don't expect to be able to tax DosBOX much.

Aside of the feel of the hardware itself, I don't care much for it, it's just like being confined to the same rom sets that I can already do on my Wii, XBOX classic, and even DSiXL in many cases.

Damn, that sucks, I was hoping for full speed PSX. You're using ePSXe right?

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, that sucks, I was hoping for full speed PSX. You're using ePSXe right?

Yes sir.

I did on the other hand get New Super Mario Bros. DS to run fluid (thus far) full screen, stretched, with the bottom screen turned off (since I don't need it much).

I'm going to tinker with Epsxe some more later. Now I'm preparing to tinker with PrBOOM and RetroArch.

As for musick applications, I've been able to get Fruity Loops, Mikrosonic RD4 to run flawlessly! I just need to find something like Cubase or Reaper for Android and I'd for sure have a few uses for this "thing" they sent me.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes sir.

I did on the other hand get New Super Mario Bros. DS to run fluid (thus far) full screen, stretched, with the bottom screen turned off (since I don't need it much).

I'm going to tinker with Epsxe some more later. Now I'm preparing to tinker with PrBOOM and RetroArch.

As for musick applications, I've been able to get Fruity Loops, Mikrosonic RD4 to run flawlessly! I just need to find something like Cubase or Reaper for Android and I'd for sure have a few uses for this "thing" they sent me.

EPSXE doesnt run full speed? Hmm, that doesn't sound right (especially if you are getting Drastic to run full speed!). Its actually pretty low requirement wise. Do you have the settings correct?

If you haven't already, change your options to these (assuming your on EPSXE 1.9.0 either 15 or 17

CPU Frameskip - Disabled
MME Enable - Autodetect
Screen Colour Depth - 16 bit
Video Renderer - Hardware (Fast/Smooth)
Video Filtering - Enabled
PSX Dithering - Disabled
Sound Quality - Full sound Effects
Sound Latency - Very Low

Also, what games are you trying. EPSXE is close to perfect but there are games that for some reason dont run full speed, like Tekken 3, Loaded etc. I think I found about 4 or 5 out of the 100 or so I have.

I've just dropped mine down to 1GHZ just to test and can confirm it runs at full speed. you should be seeing the same.

Also, what needs to be done in order to get max performance out of it is to download somekind of CPU tune utility off the play store (I use No Frills CPU control). This will allow you to keep the CPU maxed out at all times during emus, which does help no end.

Reactions: XDel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu