Hacking Just got a Gateway + 3DS from a friend, updating necessary?

KFresh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to play online, I already put private headers in my games that I want to play.

I'm fairly new, and don't understand emunand and such.
Right now when I got into gateway mode, I am on GW3D 4.2.0-9U.
Do I need to update or anything? :3

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How would I got about doing that to make sure? :3
Create emunand by booting into gwmode and holding L, it will bring up a menu click format emunand and wait for it to finish. Now Make sure you boot into emunand and go to settings(make sure you don't leave settings as it will kick you back to system nand) you will see a gw4.x MAKE SURE IT SAYS GW BEFORE THE FIRMWARE VERSION. Now go straight to update system.

Like i said important things are to make sure it says GW before the firmware version and not leave system settings because it will kick you back to sysnand, and also change the theme in the emunand partition on e it's updated so you know when you boot into emunand

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The way I usually update is that I leave my 3DS in sleep mode with the WiFi on while in emuNAND, that way the update gets downloaded and I update it right of the bat. But in your case, enter emunand, go to system settings and be absolutely - 100% sure that GW3D stands beside your firmware number. After youve done that do not exit the system settings since it will most likely reboot your console in sysnand but rather go and update via the emunand system settings. That way only emunand gets updated and Sysnand stays intact ;) After you updated your emunand you should probably want to unlink your sysnand and emunand - you can do this by removing your SD card from your console and then formating your 3DS (while the SD card is removed). By formatting your 3DS you will delete everything from it but you will also get two separate profiles, one for sysnand and one for emunand hence the "unlink" name.

EDIT: You should also make 3 bogus internet connections in sysnand so your sysnand doesnt download a system update by mistake.

KFresh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried updating twice, but got errors both times,
but then loaded into "themes" for the homescreen. Still at GW4.2.0-9U though.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Leave your 3DS on sleep mode while in emunand with your WiFi on. That should download the update automatically. Just be sure when youre updating that the GW3D part is there.

vetrah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry to thread hijack... but i'm in a similar boat.
I haven't updated my 3ds for awhile... and now i see the new update is through the website now.... which is a lil different from before.

I am on GW3D 9.0.0-20U

I assume I just follow this guide ...... just want to make sure it's ok to do that, or should I go through the updates I've skipped in the past.
Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Grandma living in her 20s again.